Bowler Roller
Monday, July 20, 2009 8:44:44 PM
http://www.nbcnewyork.co...From-Coney-Sideshow.html 

Quote:

quote:

A five-legged puppy was saved from life in a Coney Island freak show thanks to a kindhearted Southerner who paid $4,000 for the pooch

Allyson Siegel, 45, of Charlotte, N.C., outbid a Brooklyn freak show operator to buy the pup because she couldn't bear the thought of the Chihuahua-terrier mix ending up at the sideshow that featured disfigured animals, the Charlotte Observer reported.

Sideshow owner John Strong, who heard about the puppy through a friend, had paid Owensby $1,000 as a deposit on a $3,000 agreement so he could add the pup to his "Freaks of Nature" show.

"I told him it was an amazing animal show with freaks and oddities," Strong told the New York Daily News. "I told him the puppy was very rare, but someone offered more money."

Otherwise healthy, the puppy was born in a litter of six at Calvin Owensby's Chihuahua Diamond about six weeks ago. Owensby, an electrician unemployed since December, said he needed the money.

"[Precious] wasn't a freak, she was just a dog born with five legs," Owensby told the News. "My girlfriend decided she didn't want to see her in a freak show."

Siegel changed the puppy's name from Precious to Lilly and plans to spend an additional $2,000 to have the extra appendage removed. Surgery is set in two weeks. The fifth leg, which trips Lilly as she tries to walk, hangs limply between the puppy's two back legs.

"I called Calvin and I said, 'I understand this is about money,' and I just said, 'How much?'" Siegel told the New York Daily News. "She's beautiful, she's not a freak, she's a normal little puppy dog and she should be just like all the others."

Following the surgery, Siegel -- who already has six cats -- plans to give Lilly to her sister in Charlotte.

Strong, who got his deposit back, said he would have given Lilly a good life. Though he's disappointed, he said, "Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'

Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
detroit121
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:20:23 AM
i dont think a person should be able to earn off of an animal that could be helped!!!!if you cant provide whats best for an animal you SHOULDNT have ANY!!!!while i do realize the pup probably wouldnt have been treated horribly he wasnt lookin out for the best interest of the dog,simple as that!!i think its pretty pathetic anyways to make money off of other peoples or animals misfortunes.im a long way from being the greatest guy,but to earn off of a helpless animal that needs, and could be helped????nah,i dont think so.i think id rather earn for myself.i mean how do you say,,,,i think ill let this dog trip over his feet and fall all the time so i can make a little more money?????dont ya gotta draw the line somwere?
babe,BABE!!!!!,,,,,make sure ya give him one!!
Benjibear
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:45:37 AM
It's a gray area. $4000 for the pup + $2000 for the surgery + $??? for other expensis to get the pup healthy is alot of money. That is alot of money when all the animal shelters are full with dogs and cats and are scratching to just get by and always looking for donations. I am sure they would have loved a $6000+ donation from these insane people.

One way to look at it, is the dog would have had a home at the sideshow and probably taken care of fairly well. The people could have adopted a dog from the pound and one less dog would have been homeless. It is possible the dog they would have adopted, may have been euthanized. How humane is that?

Millions of animals every year are abused and killed every year. How many of those are really in a sideshow?

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Mamatiger
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:10:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by detroit121

i dont think a person should be able to earn off of an animal that could be helped!!!!if you cant provide whats best for an animal you SHOULDNT have ANY!!!!while i do realize the pup probably wouldnt have been treated horribly he wasnt lookin out for the best interest of the dog,simple as that!!i think its pretty pathetic anyways to make money off of other peoples or animals misfortunes.im a long way from being the greatest guy,but to earn off of a helpless animal that needs, and could be helped????nah,i dont think so.i think id rather earn for myself.i mean how do you say,,,,i think ill let this dog trip over his feet and fall all the time so i can make a little more money?????dont ya gotta draw the line somwere?

This is the misguided attitude that killed the sideshow...and put quite a few people out of good-paying jobs who couldn't exactly pop down and apply at their local Wal-Mart [xx(]
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain
detroit121
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:00:18 AM
misguided??just facts babydoll,just facts!!!!you are totally crazy if you think its ok to keep an animal from living a better life so a person can make a living!!!!my father in law was a leading act in ringling bros.for a long time and is in the guiness book of records.sideshows didnt just make money off animals oddeties, so that isnt what killed the business!!!what killed the oddeties business is better health care, and thats a fact.well known to many circus people.if you think its ok to deprive an animal of living better to make some money you got serious issues!!!better carnivals havent been a big help in making the circus more profitable either.lots of things hurt the circus business as in any other business.if you had a kid born with 11 hands and it could be fixed so your baby could live normally would you deny your child that so he or she could be in a sideshow?????same thing!!!
detroit121
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:09:07 AM
what people could have done means nothing!!!what they do is all that matters.money dosent keep animals alive when they want to euthanize them!!!!i keep up with the facts when it comes to euthanizing animals and money does NOT save them!!!people with homes to offer is all that saves them my friend,and thats all!!!!!!donate your time to go be with animals when they are in there last days on earth because nobody wants them and youd see what i mean!!!good pets that listen and play and eat and breathe are KILLED because,,,well,just because!!!!
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

It's a gray area. $4000 for the pup + $2000 for the surgery + $??? for other expensis to get the pup healthy is alot of money. That is alot of money when all the animal shelters are full with dogs and cats and are scratching to just get by and always looking for donations. I am sure they would have loved a $6000+ donation from these insane people.

One way to look at it, is the dog would have had a home at the sideshow and probably taken care of fairly well. The people could have adopted a dog from the pound and one less dog would have been homeless. It is possible the dog they would have adopted, may have been euthanized. How humane is that?

Millions of animals every year are abused and killed every year. How many of those are really in a sideshow?

Benjibear
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:57:34 AM
I never said that the money would keep the animals alive. My point was these people, that are now being glorified as heroes because they saved one dog from the evil sideshow, could have given the money to a local shelter that is probably in need of donations and helped many animals. The money will be used to take care of animals that are already in there. Also, these same agencies sponser low cost spay and neutering to prevent from future crowding. How many animals can you fix for $6000? How many animals in the shelters would that have prevented? How many animal deaths would that have prevented?

My dog came from an SPCA. It was pitiful the amount of medical care she was given there. She had a terrible rash and it didn't look like she was groomed in ages. I am sure she was on the list to be euthanized and that is why she was not receiving the proper care.

Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:03:36 AM
I know that you can't convince the PETA fanatics of anything. But when I worked at AB, we got calls from farmers on occasion who had a 5 legged cow or 2 headed snake and wanted to sell it for money.
They said if they didn't sell it, they were going to kill it so as to not have any extra vet bills.
So how can the freakshow be worse than death for that animal?
Most people are NOT going to pay $6000 to save a cow with an extra leg or head, just a cute puppy.
The animal sideshows I have seen take very good to excellent care of their animals - they are their pets and their livelihood.
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:51:19 AM
If the people outbid him, fine. But very few people are sucker enough to pay $2,000 to cut an extra leg off a dog that only has value as a freak. There is certainly nothing wrong with letting it keep that extra leg, or selling tickets to see the freak. It's just a friggen dog. Most people would have put down, if not for the freak value.
detroit121
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:24:53 AM
damn somebodys been abused pretty well in life i see.a freak dog?no value?sucker enough??did ya ever think that 2 grand to some people means a whole lot less than to others?a horse to me is a horse but to some people theyll pay 250,000$ for some horses!!!something is only worth what someone will pay for it.most people that look at dogs or any animal for that matter as being useless nothings or just "something" are usually weak or disturbed people anyways.and as far as a farmer goes,trying to sell an animal to a freak show that they ARE GOING TO KILL ANYWAYS?well,thats a whole other dicussion.if they are gonna kill it anyways then that might be doing that animal a favor.lets not get carried away though,the fricken cow that was gonna get killed might have been headed to a slaughter house anyways.that wasnt the case for this pet,it wasnt gonna get killed if the sideshow didnt buy it!!!!once again ill say this and who cares who agrees.if you keep an animal from living a normal life when its possible for that animal to have one just to make money makes you a nobody with problems!!!lets see,if i have this dog and i can help it but i choose to make a sorry very minimal living by keeping this animal from a normal life so it can be stared at and have the s*** scared out of it by a bunch of yahoos with a dollar in there hand??????yea,thats what i call a real player man!!!!!!!how bout this?i cant wait for them to lose there rites to having elephants either.wich will be soon.yea,lets chain up this elephant!!!!!this aint 1880 people!!!!there is other ways to get money without degrading animals!!!!!
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:38:06 AM
People pay 250k for a horse if they race them, or breed more to race. It's a business ivestment.

What is the going rate on a normal Chihuahua? It's nowhere near 6G's, unless it's a show dog, or a show dog quality breeder. They pay that much for show dogs, because they're an investment. The guy from Coney Island was ready to put out 3G's and show it, too, because it was an investment.

Most freaky animals ARE put down, unless someone finds value in them. They also tend to have shorter lifespans than normal animals.

How do freak shows degrade animals more than dog shows? Most dogs I've seen like attention.

Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:48:21 PM
I see that Mr Detroit is a real animal lover - even has a cow sex joke as part of his profile.....
showpaintsbyconner
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:58:46 PM
Benjibear
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:30:30 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sue

I see that Mr Detroit is a real animal lover - even has a cow sex joke as part of his profile.....

This is his favorite quote?
2bulls at top of hill.dad and son.son says lets run down and sex up a cow,dad says no lets walk down and do them all

Really funny and isnpring.
Pattiecake
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:09:13 PM
Why do you think all side show animals are mistreated and all animal exhibitors are abusers? I have several different friends that exhibit animals,and they all treat their animals well. I also have a friend that has dinger monkeys. They have their own AC'ed trailer house and live quite nicely. I am sure that there have been instances of animals being abused/neglected by bad operators, but it's not right to put everyone in that group.
Play fast, Win big, Leave early!!