Erik9976
  •  Erik9976
  • 66.06% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, June 8, 2009 7:54:34 AM
I see that the Guthrie's have started another show. It looks like a nice little show with classic rides
http://www.goldmedalshows.com 
the-novelty-man
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:58:45 AM
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:08:16 AM
I see the Bulgy the Whale is looking great !!
Jackpotter
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:28:56 AM
They've been out with this show for a couple of seasons now. Had an accident with the Roll O Plane a year or two ago in Atlanta I believe.
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:29:14 AM
Would not be surprised to see more shows pop up with just the classic rides. nice looking show!
Jackpotter
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:57:27 AM
I love the classics, but I have serious doubts that today's market does. With the majority of the age group who comprise the riders today it's about flash, loud music, lots of lights. They could care less if it's the last Roll O Plane ever built...which all of us on here think is pretty cool...but I doubt today's riders care, or much less would want to ride it.

Again, I'm not knocking. I LOVE the old classic rides. Just questioning today's marketplace I guess.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:12:54 AM
I agree.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

I love the classics, but I have serious doubts that today's market does. With the majority of the age group who comprise the riders today it's about flash, loud music, lots of lights. They could care less if it's the last Roll O Plane ever built...which all of us on here think is pretty cool...but I doubt today's riders care, or much less would want to ride it.

Again, I'm not knocking. I LOVE the old classic rides. Just questioning today's marketplace I guess.

UserPostedImage
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:43:54 PM
Quote:

quote:

click on the booking icon on the webpage. great deal in booking. split 50-50 after expenses. wonder what expenses would be?[?]
Jackpotter
Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:51:16 PM
But again, even IF the terms are good for the committee, if you have rides that kids aren't interested in getting on then you aren't gonna have much of a 100% to split 50-50. I just think these days things have to be more advanced.

Do not misinterpret what I'm saying. I think a nicely refurbed Scrambler or Tilt will draw a lot of tickets on a midway that also has rides like the Freak Out, Power Surge, etc. But a midway full of vintage pieces won't come near grossing what a midway full of modern pieces will.

Again, granted, older models, less computers, easier to work on, lower payments if any all can contribute to a higher gross...I understand all that. Point is people are looking for flashy, lots of lights, high octane thrills that you just aren't gonna find on a show with all vintage pieces.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:58:27 AM
There are smaller events where a classic ride line-up is just fine. Not every event needs a Freakout.
UserPostedImage
Jackpotter
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:09:13 AM
I don't disagree with you on that.

However, people, regular people on the midway, do indeed notice a difference. I wouldn't have thought that either until this week.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:25:42 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

There are smaller events where a classic ride line-up is just fine. Not every event needs a Freakout.

there are events that are glad to get any midway. agree with you pintar that not every event needs a freakout even tho they think they do.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:58:45 AM
It doesn't matter what the people want, or who is crying, it is all about taking your profits to the bank the next day. There are so many small gigs that don't require much. Look at all the small firemen and church events.

As the spot grows, a larger show will fill the need, but the money/people must be there or why bother, just because Thrillmother likes the piece. He can go out of his way to find it.

Quote:

quote:

I don't disagree with you on that.

However, people, regular people on the midway, do indeed notice a difference. I wouldn't have thought that either until this week.

UserPostedImage
cny_chris
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:30:52 AM
The reality is that there are times when you do need a "new" flashy piece on the midway. Depending on how competitive the area you are in is, you may need it to keep the spot. Lesser of a reason, yes, the public does notice if you "bring the same old rides" every year.

If you're a small show, with 10-12 pieces, playing smaller spots, you can get away with taking an old classic piece, flashing it up, and putting it on the midway. You actually almost have to do it, because a new piece isn't going to pay for itself fast enough (yes, I've run some numbers in the past to see what the ridership needs to be to cover the expenses).

That being said, the example used above of a Freakout, is more of a piece for a mid-sized show, with some strong county-fair type events. Those are the spots that are going to earn the cash to pay for the new ride. And I'd venture to say that looking at each ride individually, it won't pay for itself -- but looking at the rides as a whole, there will still be something left at the end of the day that's profit.

There's another way to look at a flashy new piece. If your event is one of the smaller attendance/lower gross spots on the show's route, you're likely going to end up with more/better equipment than you deserve. The show isn't going to not set something up, just because it's a lesser spot, unless there is a large expense in setting up/operating a piece, that won't be covered by the gross.

When it all comes down to it, I still say flash is cash. If you have the flashy pieces, the bub count high, the right music, good mic men, a good lot layout, and a strong community event, you will do well at a spot. People do notice, and yes, they still vote with their dollars...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:36:09 AM
In reality, small shows don't have the cash for such flash.
UserPostedImage