with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:33:25 AM
With all the Illegals invading the USA and the help situation getting worse for the Carnivals all the time is there gonna be a new phrase to cast another strick against the Carnival? "Illegal Dirty Carny Immigrant*"??? Is there a chance the public will backlash against a Fair that has the majority of Ride jocks that are OTA*???? When I visited Pikeville KY a few years back I could'nt tell if I was in Kentucky or South Texas (sarcasem)...We have already see issues with the Langugage Barrier. Has there been any issues with OTA help in towns or on the lot? When you get to some diehard Redneck parts of America and bring in 20 or more OTA's I see there can be potental for problems. I'm not saying there is gonna be Race Riots like in the sixties. But, there could be some issues. I know some take part in a guest worker program and are here legally. The public don't know that and when a mom puts her kid on a ride ran by someone from Mexico or where ever now there is added doubt about the person running the ride...Not only is that mom gonna make sure her car is locked. She'll make sure it's locked even when it's parked in her garage because the Mexican Carnival is in town....

*Immigrant used to be a little more PC for those who are more easliy offended...I can't say what I was orginally gonna post but it rhymed with betwack....

* OTA - Other then American

Now, I'm sure I'll be called a Racist or whatever for bringing up a Topic like this in a Non Politically Correct way...It is something that is happing in our Business and for those that are always concerned about the Improving the Image of the Carnival this is something you got to think about...

I don't care what any person has done in the past for the most part with few exceptions or where that person comes from and how they got here. As long as they act alright to me and around me I have no beef with anyone.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:29:23 AM
I can only say that the shows I have seen in Tx with a Mexican ride jocks there doesn't seem to be that problem. Talley uses guest workers and has the same help year after year. They are clean, well mannered and dependable. Talley provides transportation to and from Mexico, to and from the lot, uniforms, housing (bunk house)and does drug testing. Talley has rules and there seems to be no problems. Same at the state fair.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:39:12 AM
from a board member standpoint, i see no problem. like flamo states "if they are clean, well mannered" and i would add dressed neatly, i see the general public not having a problem. they are everywhere now and for the most part tend to stick to their own groups. normally at our fair hispanics cause few problems, it is the local want-to-be gangsters. we now live in a multicultured society. i just wish it be mandated they learn and speak English like all the other immigrants have.
Bowler Roller
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:15:49 AM
Mexican is not a race. You're a culturist.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:05:25 AM
There are indeed some folks that have issues with non-American workers on rides (ie, Mexicans), and are not afraid to say so when they have a beef and come to the office to complain. They complain about language (lack of conversational english), they claim they are rude, the words "dirty" and "filthy" have been used, threats to us that they are going to call Immigration and these "dirty Mexicans" better have their paperwork in order, etc. Some of the more common complaints are rude operators that don't speak english, pushed/yanked their child, called the patron "fat" when they were too big for the seat restraints (that's usually just a misinterpretation, all the operator is trying to do is tell them they are too big for the restraints, and it comes back to us as simply "he called me FAT", I am offended and want my money back), etc. You're right, even though they are here legally (for the most part) (h2b for example), most folks simply think "illegal immigrant" and get upset that much quicker when something happens they don't like.

I think the backlash is only going to get worse, especially in places where Americans have lost jobs that have gone to other countries.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
popcornserver
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:20:36 AM
Anymore it's just the Mexicans that come out and spend money at the carnival, so it doesn't bother them.
It gives someone for them to talk to in Spanish, when the Mexican help is trying to run the ride.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:00:01 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowler Roller

Wow, That sounds Fancy....I should get that put under my Avatar...lol

I have no Problem with Hispanics in General. Take the Peruivian Flute Band that works the Flea Market...I set near them sometimes because they always have a Tip* and keep the Giant Hamsters away....

Word for the Day

*Tip: Simular to a Crowd watching a attraction ( Pitchman, Bally,Group Game ) but are active in spending money at the attraction as opposed to just watching. Used in "Working a Tip" or "Turning a Tip"
Bowler Roller
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:30:46 AM
I'll overlook the "explain the word 'tip' to a mic man" insult, because you referenced South Park.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
BSA Mike
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:57:42 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by popcornserver

Anymore it's just the Mexicans that come out and spend money at the carnival, so it doesn't bother them.
It gives someone for them to talk to in Spanish, when the Mexican help is trying to run the ride.

Yea watch the re-hashing of tickets and free rides.. mexicans are good for that trick too.
BSA Mike
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:58:49 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

Quote:

quote:

Wow, That sounds Fancy....I should get that put under my Avatar...lol

I have no Problem with Hispanics in General. Take the Peruivian Flute Band that works the Flea Market...I set near them sometimes because they always have a Tip* and keep the Giant Hamsters away....
Word for the Day

*Tip: Simular to a Crowd watching a attraction ( Pitchman, Bally,Group Game ) but are active in spending money at the attraction as opposed to just watching. Used in "Working a Tip" or "Turning a Tip"

lol +2 for the South Park reference
Benjibear
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:36:03 PM
There is alot of stereotype with "Mexicans". It is assumed they are all illegal. It is assumed they are into crime and drugs. It is all assumed they are Mexican. The media and some people portray them all to be bad which doesn't help.

However, in reality some of the "Mexicans" that are arrested are born here legally. Most of them are legal and are either citizens or have vistas. And some aren't even Mexicans. I worked with a guy that was born in Puerto Rico where he was born an American citizen.

I think the biggest complaint I would have is if they don't speak English. As a ride operator you need to be able to communicate with your customers.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
choirboy
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:18:14 PM
New Jersey Ride operators are required to be able to speak english.
A ride owner in our area(Northeast) stated that he has to put out around 50,000 dollars in housing etc to meet the h2b requirements. I don't understand why he doesn't take that 50k and invest it in spicing up salaries to attract some "more qualified" American employees. I don't have anything against anybody who is willing to work, but that kind of $$$ could buy some guys health insurance or even offer a buck or two an hour more to employees that already reside in the US. Just my 2 cents.
showpaintsbyconner
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:55:53 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by choirboy

New Jersey Ride operators are required to be able to speak english.
A ride owner in our area(Northeast) stated that he has to put out around 50,000 dollars in housing etc to meet the h2b requirements. I don't understand why he doesn't take that 50k and invest it in spicing up salaries to attract some "more qualified" American employees. I don't have anything against anybody who is willing to work, but that kind of $$$ could buy some guys health insurance or even offer a buck or two an hour more to employees that already reside in the US. Just my 2 cents.

i believe i know this individual from n, nj. and his main interest wasnt in good help. it was having 20 hot tamales and russian babes on the lot. im sure he didnt care aboutmuchmore than takin them shoppin for clothes LMAOOOOO
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:06:54 PM
Quote:

quote:

I'll overlook the "explain the word 'tip' to a mic man" insult, because you referenced South Park.

Was'nt aimed at you...just in general.[;)]

We always buddied up to the guy working the Bowler Roller....We never had to worry about getting change for the Laundry....lol
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:24:35 PM
interesting artical on www.wral.com  on how many hispanics are leaving north carolina and going back home.