Carnevil
  •  Carnevil
  • 50.86% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:54:28 PM
Any suggestions on finding a used ice machine. I've looked on ebay and craigslist with no luck. Thanx
Its not impossible it just costs more.
Pizzagod
Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:03:36 PM
Are you just looking at Craigslist in your area? I found my ovens in Indianapolis and my soda machine in Columbus, and my thrill on Blueberry Hill (cue Fats Domino)
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
2ndgencarnie
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:16:24 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

http://bidfta.com/ 

You liked that site, huh? Always pizza equipment there.
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:23:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rhino

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

http://bidfta.com/ 

You liked that site, huh? Always pizza equipment there.

Indeed...thanks. [;)]
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:23:54 PM
Obviously don't know what size your looking for but there is one in our local paple ( used) 300lbs per day Mantowac. Excellent condition 1800.00 firm.

Located in LR Ar
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, March 16, 2009 3:54:48 AM
BigGuyNC1
Monday, March 16, 2009 4:20:16 AM
Any used restraunt supply company should have what you are looking for,they usually are cheap and are sometimes willing to deal.
Here's a few links to help.
www.westerauction.com 
www.classicauctions.com 
www.ureco.com 
Jay Sugarman as well,he is auction company out of Fl.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality-Ayn Rand
Carnevil
  •  Carnevil
  • 50.86% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, March 16, 2009 4:49:10 AM
Any advice on what to look for or stay away from? What would be considered a good size? I was thinking 300-500 lb.
Its not impossible it just costs more.
babyhughie
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:00:02 AM
Pm sent.Let me know if this helps you out.[;)]
Soda Guy
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:08:10 AM
Depends on how many trailers you have that will be needing ice.

A few things to consider

The storage bins under the ice machines are insulated, not refrigerated. That means ice is always melting.

If you have an ice machine unplugged for a couple days and the machine and bin are in a truck the bin will almost be empty or will be empty in that time. So when you start the ice machine up you will have at least 1 to 1/2 days until your bin fills up. Remember the 300 or 400 pound rating is for a 24 hour period under 70 ambient temp with water temp at 55 degrees. Now if you have a water hose running on the ground and we all know how warm that water gets now when that water hits your ice machine you have already extended the freeze cycle which in turn will lower your production level.

When I had trailers long before I worked as a trainer for an Ice Machine Mfg. we always had 800 to 1000 pounds. Now if you have you ice machine in your trailer and the trailer is air conditioned you can go with a smaller unit. But if I had one in a truck I would go as large as I can.

Also if you find a machine that is less than 5 years old there is a good chance that the compressor is still under a parts warranty. School auctions, and new business closings are the best places to get a machine and I would always shy away from an ice machine that was in a bar. The reason for that is every bar has a customer or two that "are good with tools" and have already tried to fix the machine.

Pm me if you have any other questions.

Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:23:13 AM
Very good points to consider but would like to add one more, I have two ice machines one on the joint and one in the stock truck, the one in the stock truck we were having problems with it produceing a lot of ice so I talked to a Ice Machine dealer and he said to add a pre-cooler so we added a cooler from a water drink fountain as they are cheaper than a ice machine cooler and it worked wonders the machine started producing three times the amount of ice also something else to remember keep the coils on the cooling unit clean use a air supply and blow them out and you will get more production if your unit had been dirty, This little tip cost me $89 to find out. we blew it out and it started producing more ice again.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Soda Guy

Depends on how many trailers you have that will be needing ice.

A few things to consider

The storage bins under the ice machines are insulated, not refrigerated. That means ice is always melting.

If you have an ice machine unplugged for a couple days and the machine and bin are in a truck the bin will almost be empty or will be empty in that time. So when you start the ice machine up you will have at least 1 to 1/2 days until your bin fills up. Remember the 300 or 400 pound rating is for a 24 hour period under 70 ambient temp with water temp at 55 degrees. Now if you have a water hose running on the ground and we all know how warm that water gets now when that water hits your ice machine you have already extended the freeze cycle which in turn will lower your production level.

When I had trailers long before I worked as a trainer for an Ice Machine Mfg. we always had 800 to 1000 pounds. Now if you have you ice machine in your trailer and the trailer is air conditioned you can go with a smaller unit. But if I had one in a truck I would go as large as I can.

Also if you find a machine that is less than 5 years old there is a good chance that the compressor is still under a parts warranty. School auctions, and new business closings are the best places to get a machine and I would always shy away from an ice machine that was in a bar. The reason for that is every bar has a customer or two that "are good with tools" and have already tried to fix the machine.

Pm me if you have any other questions.

Herb
Soda Guy
Monday, March 16, 2009 5:33:18 AM
Herb

Pre chillers are great but the cleaning of the condenser is the most important thing. I always cleaned mine out monthly. One product that you should look for is made by Zep. They have a foam coil cleaner that is better to use than CO2 or an air compressor to clean the condenser. The reason is when you blow the condenser out with air you are just adding the dirt to the air surrounding the machine. With the foam the foam carries the dirt out and you wipe it up an throw it out. Now if you are using air what you can do is have a wet towel on the other side of the condenser to catch the dirt.

A quick note to pizzagod. No I don't sell ZEP just use a bunch of it.[:D][;)]

Also the Zep product is great for any of your AC units and any refrigeration units you have. It is especially good if you are mixing dough or your own mixes. That flour gets into condensers and really effects the efficiency of your units.
FrankiesFoods
Monday, March 16, 2009 6:08:35 AM
I help put a ice machine in a truck one time make sure that it is water cooled and that you can afford all the water that it spills on the ground under ther truck. As for a pre chiller we had put the machine in the pizza's stock truck so there was some referigeration there already we drilled a hole thru the side of cooler and tied up about a hundred feet of hose in the fridge so that was the water chiller. works still.

Back on topic there is a manitowac on craigslist ny for 100.
Searchallofcraigslist.com make sure you add the areas or it'll only search michigan
Life is like a Merry go round has it's ups and downs but always come back around.
Hambone
  •  Hambone
  • 55.16% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, March 16, 2009 7:22:56 AM
Call some local bottlers, where I work they just picked up a truckload of ice machines .
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide