I was wondering if there was any way to access old archived posts on here
squirrel
Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:53:31 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by massachusettsman

I was wondering if there was any way to access old archived posts on here

How old are we talking?

The current archives go back pretty far to the best of my knowledge. To access them you will need to be on the main forum page (http://carnivalwarehouse.com/forum/default.asp) - then, at the right side of the screen next to each forum group, you will see a blue folder with the letter A in it ( UserPostedImage ). Click on that, and you will be in the archived topics for that forum.
Mr. Fixit
Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:44:28 PM
The forum archives currently go back to late February of 2007. At some point, we lost the archives from October 2003 up to then.
CAUTION, Administrator at work. This is a troll-free zone.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
squirrel
Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:46:01 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Fixit

The forum archives currently go back to late February of 2007. At some point, we lost the archives from October 2003 up to then.

We might not have lost them all -- I have some VERY old backups from WAY WAAAY back -- I might be able to get them restored before it's all over with [}:)]
The Dude
Monday, December 1, 2008 2:28:31 PM
Why are the threads cleared from the bases so much UserPostedImage

Some sites have years of threads on the bases which is good cause you can find good stuff to reply to UserPostedImage

Do you guys not have the space to keep all threads active and replyable on every base?
Mr. Fixit
Tuesday, December 2, 2008 3:43:17 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by The Dude

Why are the threads cleared from the bases so much UserPostedImage

Some sites have years of threads on the bases which is good cause you can find good stuff to reply to UserPostedImage

Do you guys not have the space to keep all threads active and replyable on every base?

Sorry, Dude... you snooze, you lose. We've archived regularly since the forum switched to Snitz in 2003, sometimes more often than other times. Don't need to dredge up old posts -- if the discussion stays active, then the post will stay active. [;)][}:)]
CAUTION, Administrator at work. This is a troll-free zone.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
The Dude
Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:35:53 PM
But there isnt really anything wrong with replying to a thread with a last reply from 2000 buddy!! (If the conditions are right (The links still valid,NO unformatted text,etc))

Thats all im saying UserPostedImage
squirrel
Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:36:31 PM
Quote:

quote:

But there isnt really anything wrong with replying to a thread with a last reply from 2000 buddy!! (If the conditions are right (The links still valid,NO unformatted text,etc))

Thats all im saying UserPostedImage

90% of the forums out there expire old topics and keep them around for reference only, without the ability to reply. If a topic needs re-opening, they simply start a new, updated topic. I don't see what the big issue is.

Also, I will have almost 95% of the archives restored from all the way back to 2003 here within the next week...

squirrel
Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:40:09 PM
In all reality, I'm really leaning towards a total software upgrade of the entire forum code. I've been investigating some new software  and it seems pretty impressive and smooth. The consequences will be the following:

User Registrations will be reset. This is a total platform change from what we have now. The old forum would be locked up and left available for the archives purposes with all new activity happening on the new software. I'm in the process of talking to Matt about things now, as this is a viable option as far as software goes -- just not too keen on resetting the userbase in the process...
The Dude
Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:13:41 PM
Why not just merge the database to the new software,most are able to be merged in some way....

If your thinking about new software,i suggest looking at SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/community) one of the BEST FREE software out there..

The best S/W of all in my opinion is VBB,but we would all have to chip in some $$ and send it to matt before he would even think of VBB ($80 license (Last i knew,may have gone up))
squirrel
Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:23:03 PM
Quote:

quote:

Why not just merge the database to the new software,most are able to be merged in some way....

If your thinking about new software,i suggest looking at SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/community) one of the BEST FREE software out there..

The best S/W of all in my opinion is VBB,but we would all have to chip in some $$ and send it to matt before he would even think of VBB ($80 license (Last i knew,may have gone up))

U brought up VBB before. We already discussed the fact that there is no conversion for one, and we are not changing platforms from ASP/.NET to PHP and MySQL. You have to take into consideration that I am the only one who maintains the 'software' aspect of this forum. That means the code we run has to be something I am comfortable with as well as able to update and modify as needed. Such a change as this would require a change of operating systems to be effecient as well as me learning mode programming languages just for maintenance and security...

That and there are 20 other systems that behave just like VBB without the php/mySQL end of things...
The Dude
Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:15:06 PM
Yes well SMF is an awesome program [:)]

Have you visited the SMF site??

God bless ya squirrel,your doing a g00d job!
squirrel
Thursday, December 4, 2008 2:10:02 AM
Quote:

quote:

Yes well SMF is an awesome program [:)]

Have you visited the SMF site??

God bless ya squirrel,your doing a g00d job!

The software looks clean, but again, it requires a platform switch in order to be effecient under high demands...
The Dude
Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:42:32 PM
Hm well thats what takes time,i see......

Hmmm
JustJeff
Friday, December 26, 2008 3:28:04 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by secret.squirrel

Also,I will have almost 95% of the archives restored from all the way back to 2003 here within the next week

Any updates on how this project is coming?...I am not complaining ,please understand,just been looking forward since I read the above...

Has there been an unexpected problem? Good luck and it will be much appreciated when(not if)('[;)]')you do it...Thanks in advance....jeff