skywheel88
  •  skywheel88
  • 59.08% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, November 14, 2008 6:52:12 PM
To all of you modelers out there, DO NOT attempt to use Jiffy paint markers on ANYTHING you are doing, they bleed worse than a gutted fish all over the project, I've had to repaint my Seattle Wheel stand three times over because of this, use a paintbrush and paint instead. Seriously, they totally suck![:(!][:(!][:(!]
Kenny.

Benjibear
Friday, November 14, 2008 7:08:18 PM
Thank you for the info. I never liked using paint markers. I know some people love them but I never thought they were that great.
What kind of paint do you use?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
skywheel88
  •  skywheel88
  • 59.08% (Neutral)
Friday, November 14, 2008 7:45:34 PM
After tons of corrections, and more to come, here's where I'm at so far;

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Now, I just want to tell you all that ever since I seen that really good pic of the "Velare Seattle Giant Wheel" at the 1962 World's Fair, I totally fell in love with it, that's why I changed the colors to the original. I also added a couple more details to the top of the tub hangers which were actually there as some of you may have noticed. I know it's now not done in official R.A.S. colors but it will fit my midway anyways. Also, I will be doing one of those older model ROTOR's instead of the Chance model as I have decided to go for atmosphere above accuracy with my little show.
Kenny.

Matt C.
Friday, November 14, 2008 8:16:25 PM
Very nice Kenny.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
CONKO316
Friday, November 14, 2008 8:56:54 PM
fantastic work kenny!

I only use any sort of paint marker for railings and things...not too fond of them.
UserPostedImage

Justin
Skywheelrider
Friday, November 14, 2008 9:48:44 PM
That really looks great, Kenny. I used to use paint markers a long time ago, but got away from them, they really are not that reliable, as you said. Keep up the great work.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
skywheel88
  •  skywheel88
  • 59.08% (Neutral)
Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:35:19 AM
Here's the pic for anyone who hasn't seen it yet;

UserPostedImage
Kenny.

SideWinder
Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:58:32 AM
Kenny, that peice is turning out great, totally awesome work on it[:D][8D][:D][8D]
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, November 15, 2008 12:23:45 PM
stickjoint
Monday, November 17, 2008 12:57:03 AM
ringmaster
Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:39:10 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by skywheel88

Also, I will be doing one of those older model ROTOR's instead of the Chance model as I have decided to go for atmosphere above accuracy with my little show.

Huh? There are no older Rotors. The the Rotor on RAS was the first portable rotor ever built, and the prototype for all later Chance Rotors. The only older one was the origional park Rotor in Luna Park, Sidney, Australia. Chance had the X on tm Rotors,world wide, for twenty years. I don't think there are any Rotors on the road in the US now. There are still a few tm Chance machines in parks. There may still be a couple of French made Hell Holes around. I remember one on Coney Island eighteen years ago. There are at least a dozen ground mounts traveling in the UK. They look exactly like motor dromes until they start to spin.
natet_2003
Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:38:02 AM
Awesome Kenny!![:D][8D]
Thanks for the warning about the Jiffy markers.
skywheel88
  •  skywheel88
  • 59.08% (Neutral)
Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:04:24 PM
Thanks Nate.[:D] Ringmaster, I was referring to this model Rotor;

UserPostedImage

I don't know anything about it, if it's older, who manufactured it and so on. I do however, have a pic of it on file appearing at the Ohio State Fair in the late fifties and another of it at the C.N.E., also in the fifties, so I just assumed....
Kenny.

Keith
Monday, November 24, 2008 3:08:09 PM
Great choice for your RAS midway!!!. That Rotor looks like the one built by the Velare Bros. and booked on that show. The two brothers had a hand in the later Chance design as well.
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:35:12 AM
That Seattle Wheel is fantastic!! Can't wait to see more. How far down the list is the Calypso & Space Wheels? It seems like those were Royal American's trademark pieces.[:D] Keep up the great work!
My albums are all on Facebook!