Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:52:15 AM
I don't want this topic to turn into a "political" topic where we start discussing the candidates. Let's just discuss our experiances going out to vote. For example, difficulties, long lines, wait times, etc.

I went and voted before work today where I live near York, PA. I was number 89. The fire house where I vote was very congested and the lines from where you sign in to where you vote were crossing each other and it was very unorganized but that is proably due to the high turn out. from the time I started in line and left the building was about 30 minutes. When I was leaving the line was even longer. The parking lot was full. People were parking on the grass and alongside the road. They were acorss at a church and parking about a third of a mile in a restaurant.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Missin it
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:17:58 AM
I was # 90, Parking lot was full, but there was no line to speak of. More Poll workers than anything else. Had a conversation with another voter how asked a simple question, "Does it really matter?" I explained to her that as far as us being republicans in NY our votes for National positions was essentially pointless and that the only difference our votes make is on the local level.
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
carneychick
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:20:26 AM
I voted absentee (out of state now) no lines, no wait!
bucscott
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:34:07 AM
Did early voting last Thursday here in Florida, was in line for about 35 mins. Wife went Saturday early and was in line for about an hour, no big problems.......
JustJeff
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:38:00 AM
Funny you should ask.I went about 10:00 am.Two people in front of me,no problem,they scanned my liscense,asked me to verify information.I told them my name and address,they then said that I had been mailed an absentee ballot.I said not to my recollection.I said I never asked for one and I have voted the same way for years.They said it would be a minute,that they would call some number to clear it up.I waited about 5 minutes and asked how much longer,they said the number was busy,and they didn't know how long it would take.I said I may come back later,I had my sister and brother-in-law waiting outside for me.They are down from N.Y. on vacation.
I will try again later...jeff
thumper7973
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:57:38 AM
Just returned from voting !

Easy in! Easy out!

No lines !
GO GATORS ! 2008 BCS National "Chomp-ions" !

It is better to be defeated on principle than to win on lies- Arthur Calwell
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:59:07 AM
I voted absentee. But I voted. And to me, anyone who does not bother to vote, is too lazy to even try, they do not have any business complaining about our government, who gets elected, etc. Even if you do not like the candidates running, write in a vote if you can, or select someone else, I mean there are like ten different folks running for President alone. Get out and vote.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
razduck
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:04:02 AM
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:08:45 AM
2 precincts use my polling place, but there was nobody in front of me. There was a couple of people electioneering outside for local offices. I voted against their candidates, out of spite.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:22:00 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by razduck

I cant vote

Sorry to hear that. I don't need to know the reason, but I do realize some folks cannot vote for valid reasons. What I am referring to are folks that can vote, are registered, and just choose not too. Folks that can register but don't bother irritate me as well. Voting is a hard fought right in this country, that folks in some other countries would love to have but don't. It is a precious right we have that should not be taken for granted.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:29:42 AM
How Come I only got one Ballot while the Guy the the Black Guy 08 Shirt got 4?????
2ndgencarnie
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:32:53 AM
I voted here in my hometown today. I waited in line for alomst 25 minutes which doesn't sound like a long line, however when you consider there is only 928 people in my town, that is a long line.
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:33:52 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

How Come I only got one Ballot while the Guy the the Black Guy 08 Shirt got 4?????

Funny you post that, there was a guy interviewed today who said he was registered in four different precincts and was going to vote in all four. Yes he was black, yes he was for O-b-a-m-a. Big surprise there.
JustJeff
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:15:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustJeff

Funny you should ask.I went about 10:00 am.Two people in front of me,no problem,they scanned my liscense,asked me to verify information.I told them my name and address,they then said that I had been mailed an absentee ballot.I said not to my recollection.I said I never asked for one and I have voted the same way for years.They said it would be a minute,that they would call some number to clear it up.I waited about 5 minutes and asked how much longer,they said the number was busy,and they didn't know how long it would take.I said I may come back later,I had my sister and brother-in-law waiting outside for me.They are down from N.Y. on vacation.
I will try again later...jeff

Well I went back around 2:30.Had my wife drop me off and I was going to walk home.Only about 3/4 of a mile and I can always use the exercise.
Had the same trouble as earlier at first.They kept saying something about absentee ballots.Finally one of the poll workers got through to someone who solved the problem which was that I was at the wrong precinct.LOL..I made the mistake of listening to the old lady up the street without double checking,as I knew they had moved our voting place.Hers had not moved and although we only live 5 houses apart they are two separate precincts.
I winded up walking to the correct one About a mile away,and although it was much busier than the first,I was in and out in about 20 minutes.I then walked home.I sure did exercise('[:D]') my right to vote today and then some....jeff
cny_chris
Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:38:40 PM
Voted a little while ago, easy in, easy out. Still using the old lever machines, the "new & improved" touch screen was sitting off to the side. Poll workers were saying that it was taking 15-20 minutes for people that were using it -- by my count, there were only 8 offices to vote for, and one proposition. Sounds like someone needs to go back to the drawing board.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy