skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, September 22, 2008 6:21:52 PM
I remember you used to see alot of the parking lot small carnivals. Michaels Amusements out of Fayetteville, NC set up one time, actually a few times when Wal-Mart in Dunn was at the original place before the new one came along, and i remember to this day their Sea Ray, Scat, Cobra, Loop-o-Plane, Fun House, Go-Gator, & Super Slide set up there for a few days. No special event, they just wanted to see folks have a good time. My granddad next door said he remembers a small carnival would set up in Angier there in the parking lot of the now IGA grocery store parking lot. I think he said they did have either a Roll-o-Plane or Loop-o-Plane, along with a Tilt-a-Whirl and a Ferris Wheel. Why don't we see small parking lot carnivals anymore like we used to? The good 'ol days have passed us by sadly. [:(]

These are good days too, it just seems life back then was more "simple" than now days with those huge spectaculars like the KMG FireBall & Freak Out, etc... So the old Eli Wheels and Loop-o-Planes/Roll-o-Planes have become a thing of the past unfortunately. Though, i do see those classics every now and then...though, at major county fairs & sometimes at the NC State Fair, like last year the Scat & Hurricane was there. Now, i do remember PowersG.A.M. had a few of their rides set up at the Roses parking lot in Dunn, NC about 2 or 3 years ago now, God time flies![:0] ...they had their Zipper there, along with a Gravitron, Super Slide, and the Lolli Swings...some more rides, a Carousel...that's about all i can remember that night.

It brings back Real good memories talking about this one, the Fayetteville Generals baseball team was playing someone back in 1991 or 2, and i did NOT know what i was about to see next when we pulled into baseball park's parking lot. It was me, my uncle, and dad, and my eyes got Really Big, a Nice parking lot carnival set up in front of the baseball park!!! I remember the rides, but i do Not remember the show's name. I Do remember an Eli Bridge Scrambler, the Quadzilla kiddie ride, an Eli Ferris Wheel, Gravitron, a Dark Ride(not sure of the name), Reverchon Himalaya, and a Paratrooper(i think) was there. Now i know that was an occasion for a baseball game, but all i knew that i was tagging along for a baseball game Not knowing i'd have a BIG surprise awaiting me! [8D][:o)] I think i did ride the Scrambler and Paratrooper, that was it, as i was scared of the Gravitron back then & others...oh, Quadzilla was my fav. kiddie ride back then too.
Later you all

~Ben
Skywheelrider
Monday, September 22, 2008 10:13:37 PM
To answer your topic question, shows play shopping centre parking lots all the time, all over the USA!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
massachusettsman
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:42:03 AM
when i was 3 there was a parkig lot carival across the street from my house from sam pino amusements i went there every day my dad said
SaraAB
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:25:01 AM
There are a lot of parking lot type carnivals around here, however they play mostly church type festivals, not actual parking lots like in Wal-mart. I only saw a carnival once in Wal-mart in my whole life. If we are talking actual parking lots they are more common in malls here now. There was at least one parking lot mall carnival here this summer and I remember a few others within the last 5 years. The smaller, local carnivals seem to have done quite well this year and they were packed with people moreso than previous years. This is due to the fact that the locals can just drive up and go to the carnival without paying admission or parking like you have to at an amusement park.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:45:57 AM
The shopping center and mall parking lot spots are getting fewer and fewer each year here in Nashville, and I think that is a trend across the US.
Also, this isn't a fair, it is a still date, no matter how the show or the promoter refers to it.
Rockowheel
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:14:53 AM
It was a part of the springtime when shows starting popping up doing their still dates in shopping centers. I can remember when the stores would give out discount tix for rides. These days one wonders how many of the big store chains like Wal-Mart, Kmart etc. even allow carnivals on their property.
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:54:18 PM
Well as I think about it, this past Spring in the Detroit area, I can count about ten different parking lot carnivals I saw, from Wade Shows (worked one), Elliotts, Skerbeck, NAME, Playworld, Family Funtyme.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
massachusettsman
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:15:04 PM
Around me it seems every big parking lot has a carnival there are actually more now than before
Rockowheel
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:30:32 PM
Great to hear!
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Well as I think about it, this past Spring in the Detroit area, I can count about ten different parking lot carnivals I saw, from Wade Shows (worked one), Elliotts, Skerbeck, NAME, Playworld, Family Funtyme.

Trucker090
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:50:54 PM
I see a lot around Cleveland.
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
korny_carny
Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:02:00 AM
A couple shows here in Ontario, who spend their whole season in parking lots, minus a few spots.
BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:55:35 PM
wal-mart loved them for a few years. then a genius who will not be mentioned decided to fake a deal and filed suit. that was the final straw. no more wal- marts to the point that store managers where told it would be their job. malls can be good but the cost are big. g note a day at many. their are a few booking people who cater to upscale show and lay them down in select locations.
bottom line, a few blew it for many. typical crap.
what the ????
JustJeff
Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:12:01 PM
Jamesways were the bis shopping center spots in New York state back in the day....Saratoga,Naponoch,Monticello....always liked them cause they had a decent lunch counter and BATHROOMS!!!Wasn't port-o-pottys all over back then....jeff
IndianaTED
Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:37:00 PM
The general area in which I live, the only town that had shopping center lot Shows was Terre Haute. At one time or another there were carnivals at the following lots...Meadows, Plaza North, Towne South, and the WalMart SuperCenter on the south end. The WalMart lot was the last one to host a Show, and that had to be more than ten years ago. They were not well attended for some reason, so naturally they went away. I miss them.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:08:43 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustJeff

Jamesways were the bis shopping center spots in New York state back in the day....Saratoga,Naponoch,Monticello....always liked them cause they had a decent lunch counter and BATHROOMS!!!Wasn't port-o-pottys all over back then....jeff

When I was a young child the carnivals I remember most as far as shopping centre's and parking lot's are Westland Mall in Westland, Michigan and Wonderland Mall in Livonia, Michigan. Saw a few different shows at Westland--Wade Shows, Crown Amusements, Motor State Shows, that I can remember.

The big one was Wonderland Mall--Link Shows/World of Pleasure Shows, north side of the mall (it was an open air mall back then, was not enclosed until the early 1980's) along Plymouth Road, big midway with rides like the Sky Wheel, Himalaya, Eli Wheel, Flying Bobs, Twister, Scrambler, Zipper, Toboggan, Paratrooper, Tilt-A-Whirl, Loop-O-Plane, Rock-O-Plane, Sky Diver once or twice, Spider, Round Up, Super Loops, coaster one year, dark ride, fun houses/glass houses, all kinds of kiddie rides. One year they had two Sky Wheel's. All the classics.... Always held for two weekends around Memorial Day weekend, the Livonia Jaycees would take out a full page ad in the Detroit News on the first Friday full of ride photos advertising the HUGE ANNUAL LIVONIA JAYCEES SPRING CARNIVAL AT WONDERLAND! TEN BIG DAYS AND NIGHTS! (Yes, all caps. lol) Sigh....those were the days....