wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:01:16 PM
I once saw some photos on the internet somewhere of the RCS La Grande Wheel racked for transport and set up photos. It also told of how many trucks it needed for transport and other cool info about this ride. Does anyone know if this info still exists online and the link to it, or at least some good photos of the set up ???

A few years back there was also a very cool webcam from San Diego fair I believe, and it showed a time lapse sequence of the entire fair timeline, it was neat as it showed the rides coming in, being set up, the rides running, then the teardown of all these huge rides on the RCS midway.

We don't get to see stuff like that around this area and it cool to see something that big come to life as a giant midway.

Fabbri_Guy
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:22:28 PM
You can try Google. Or go to webshots.com and see what come up.[:)]
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:33:00 PM
I heard it is 16 trucks. I remember that time=lapse video from a few years ago too. Not sure if it was Del Mar or Orange Co. Fair.
La Grand Wheel is at the OC fair, but not at Del Mar (RCS has a different wheel at Del Mar, as the dates are too close to move it)
daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:28:40 PM
sue in less they chanhed it the oc fiar as the la grande wheel and del mar has the grand wheel.I had pictures of it but i need to look for them wear those pictures.......

ps give me a couple days i get you some... that wheel is hard to find racked photos in less you can get on the lot lol
wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:58:46 AM
you can google all you want and still probably not come up with anything. hopefully you can find some daniel. its funny cause back east there are pics for almost every ride racked, and very easy to find, but the largest portable ride in the country is very hard to find racked pics or info describing it.

I bet Chris Hurley would have plenty of good pics if that wheel ever crossed paths with him. [:)]
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:24:17 AM
You're correct Daniel, I just forgot to put the "LA" in front of it.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:21:10 AM
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:28:40 AM
One web article said the wheel travels on 18 trailers.
wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, August 22, 2008 7:55:25 PM
I did find a little info on this ride that Matt C published here on 3/9/08 about the wheel according to RCS Maketing

The La Grande Wheel moves on 18 trailers, takes 7 days to set up and 5 days to tear down. When purchased, along with equipment needed to move the ride, the final cost was close to $3 million dollars.

The wheel runs on two separate power plants; one for the drive system, and one for the lighting. 32 tubs rides 17000 people per hour. The station is capable of loading 6 tubs per stop.

RCS has been extremely happy with the ride since it was purchased. The wheel is generally the top ride at all events.

still have not found any racked or set up pics, but I think I remember someone posting some here on this board a while ago that were taken during set up at the Arizona State Fair. Does anyone else remember those or am I mistaken?
Fabbri_Guy
Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:09:37 AM
18 trailers! that's more trailers than some shows have rides! How does the chance Giant wheel compare? height wise?
daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 24, 2008 3:47:51 AM
Give me some more time i need to pull them out i have been bussy with taking care of my self i been kind of down lately so i needed to tak care of that.Umm the racked pictures are hard to get unless you work for them or the fair even then you can get firerd for it hint hint...........Great company to work for though just a little bad taste i had trouble taking in......

Nay was 15 18 somthing trailers yah their hard to get pictures of lol
daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:21:21 AM
well i am afraid those pictures have been erased when my hard drive took a dump.I do have a little bit on dvd but iam not sure how i could get that to you....
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:35:26 AM
Google "Bellvue" wheel in Germany

I'm thinking it's the same wheel that RCS has and I have seen a web site that shows it racked and during set up.

http://www.riesenrad-bellevue.de/technik.html 
stevo4
Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:21:31 AM

I have a couple of pictures of the wheel from the 2006 OC Fair here:
http://imageevent.com/production/thecarnival 

Here's a question:

If that wheel cost approx. $3mil, how many people would have to ride it and / or how long do you think it would take for that many people to ride it for the show to break even on the cost? I have no idea on average, how many people could even ride the wheel each day. Hmmm.

Skywheelrider
Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:28:20 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Fabbri_Guy

18 trailers! that's more trailers than some shows have rides! How does the chance Giant wheel compare? height wise?

Chance Giant Gondola Wheel is four trailers, height is 88 feet, it sets up on three of the trailers.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain