Tilt-A-Whirl27
Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:57:03 AM
I am currently working on a Tornado model and am trying to get it to motorize using a spare IHC motor I have kicking around. I'm following the instructions, but the elastics don't seem to wanna stay. Is it as simple as getting smaller elastics?

I'm also looking for some graphics for the backdrop and doghouse.
Thanks
chuck walls
Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:48:04 PM
I don't know how much experience you have with IHC rides, I used a faller motor on mine, you have to do some modifying, but it can be done, those elastics (rubber bands) and that open case motor won't last long, you'll be replacing them after a couple hours, give it a try.
chuck walls
Tilt-A-Whirl27
Friday, August 1, 2008 8:30:56 AM
I have a few IHC rides, but very little experience motorizing them and so the ones I own are static. Decided to try my hand at motorizing again and considered using a Faller motor but thought I'd try their way first.
Thanks for the advice
SideWinder
Friday, August 1, 2008 4:17:06 PM
If your going to motorize the IHC rides..... I would definitly use Faller motors as they are slower and will make the ride run more realistic.... Although it's tough to make any IHC ride look realistic considering it isn't even up to the proper scale.... but good luck....
JustinJames
Monday, August 4, 2008 12:56:33 PM
Most of the IHC models require some customizing but can be made to look fantastic. They aren't faller nor are they the price range of a faller model so expecting a faller quality isn't really too realistic.

BUT, they can be made to look great. Chris' Daredevil IHC tornado is very sharp.
Rockowheel
Monday, August 4, 2008 6:53:51 PM
Yeah throw away the IHC motor. Use the Faller motors, or better yet I like using timing motors. Nice RPMs, very easy to adapt to the ride and just plug 'em in...no transformers etc. necessary.
skywheel88
Monday, August 4, 2008 8:28:06 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Rockowheel

Yeah throw away the IHC motor. Use the Faller motors, or better yet I like using timing motors. Nice RPMs, very easy to adapt to the ride and just plug 'em in...no transformers etc. necessary.

Timing motors? What is that?
Kenny.

Keith
Monday, August 4, 2008 9:22:18 PM
My understanding of one.

A motor that drives a set of electrical contact(s) for switching a load(s) on or off at predetermined intervals.

Rockowheel
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:04:34 AM
I'm not really sure what their original purpose is, but timimg motors have been around a long time, and have been quite inexpensive ($2-$3 each depending on the rpms. I've got many of mine thru the American Science and Surplus store which has locations in the Chicago area, I will try to find the link and post it. Someone please correct me, but I thought Don Cummons uses timing motors on his rides. If you can find these motors, stock up! They are completely silent and can be adapted well to power ride kits like IHC, RAH or scratch. They vary in RPMS, and like I mentioned there is no gearing or transformers to contend with, simply plug it in to any 110 outlet (you might have to splice on a plug)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by skywheel88

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Rockowheel

Timing motors? What is that?

skywheel88
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:14:39 AM
Thanks to the both of you![:D] I've been wanting to rig my Velare Giant Wheel to the masts but I built it for motion, all I need is to find the right motor, rig it, and finish the darn thing, same goes for my twin ELI's and as many of my rides I can make work. That way I can have something really cool to post on Youtube for ya'll. A link would be most sincerely appreciated![:p]
Kenny.

Rockowheel
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:06:14 AM
Here is the link for American Science and Surplus. I you are looking for motors and don't see them on the website, definitely give them a call, as being a surplus type place they add stuff to their inventory almost daily. If ever in the area I most definitely recommend a visit to one of their stores as it's quite a fascinating place!
http://www.sciplus.com/stores.cfm 
Benjibear
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:17:16 AM
For the guys that use timing motors. What RPM's work well for HO scale rides? Majors? Kiddies? Any of the IHC rides?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
chuck walls
Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:09:57 PM
I put faller motors on my kiddie boats, and motor cycles, and swinger, the faller motors are 4 1/2 rpm's that's european, (german) and they run off a transfomer, us motors are 110 volts 5 rpm's, so if you want a motor, for your kiddie rides you need a 5 rpm timing motor, or a synchron motor about $ 20 alot cheaper then faller, and the rides run at the right speed, eventaully I 'll have all my rides run off 110 volt motors.
chuck walls
Rockowheel
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:57:06 AM
For any of my rides, be they adult, kiddie, IHC, etc. etc. I use pretty much the same rpm timing motors, since timing motors' rpms can be all over the place, I've tried to stick with those with rpms under 60 (think minute hand of a clock-that speed), and mine are more in the 15-20 rpm range if you can get them. I have some that are way too slow, like 5 rpms or so, so you have to keep your eyes open when the right rpms timing motors are available.
Benjibear
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:27:20 AM
Thanks for the input. I have one on my swinger but I am not sure of the RPM's because it came out of an old fire alarm panel. I wanted to buy some more and was just wondering what RPM's people are using.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.