with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:32:58 AM
Here's a few questions for all the Fans and self proclaimed "Industry Supporters" out there....

If you could do it would you?

Set aside your Normal Life would you go on the road doing whatever Rides, Games, Food ect...?

What if you got Laid Off and need to support your Family?

Could you last a Season on the Road?

Would You Last a Season on the Road?

Could you live in a Cramped Bunkhouse that you have to share a Shower with other people?

What if you can't get a a shower for a day or two in the Summer?

How about not having any heat or enough blankets to keep warm if it turns cold?

Can you live on $10 a Day Draw?

What are you gonna do if your Boss is Broke and he had to decide it was either have Jump Money to the next spot or pay you and he chose the one the one that did'nt involve keeping you happy?

What would you do if your LQ don't make it in and your ready for bed?

Could you live on the road without some of the luxurys you have at home like a Fridge, Microwave, Washer, Dryer, Computer ect...?

What would you do if your out in the middle of nowhere with no wheels or noplace to got something to eat and your hungry?

Would you do it for the Money alot of guys are paid? $250-$500 a week?

Now when I say "A Week" I'm not talking about your 40 hour punch a timeclock work week....I'm talking about 60-80+ hour work weeks that have some 15+ hour days in there in all kinds of weather....

Think about this: You got Johnny Ridejock that is 2nd man on the Bounce and he makes $250 a Week. On a 40 hour week that's 6.25 a hour, 50 hours = $5 60 hrs.= $4.16 , 70 hrs= $3.57

What if your a Clerk and get paid Points? You sit on the joint all week and the spot is a total blank and your in the hole because of your $10 a day draw ate up your cut?

These are all real and totally legit questions about life on the road. Most of us guys here that are on the road have been in these or worse situations....Could you hack it?

skywheel88
Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:19:48 AM
I did "hack it" for five of the most crazy and wonderful years of my life and alot of days I wish I could go back.[:D]
Kenny.

JustJeff
Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:38:50 AM
Me too,but I don't think I could do it on the lower end of the pay end you mentioned .Possibly the higher end.
I couldn't do the bunkhouse thing again either.Been there,done that but I partied then and could sleep through anything.Only thing woke me up most days was the dreaded sound of generator starting.
$10 a day draws...Just pay me on pay day and I won't need draws.
Would I let the boss slide on pay ,after a blank? Depends on how well I knew him.
I am sure I could find a way to keep warm if L.Q. didn't show up.
It appears as though these questions were probably meant for those who have never done it ,so I will wait to see how the thread progresses to see if my input is wanted .....jeff
JustinJames
Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:10:31 AM
massachusettsman
Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:19:12 AM
I never really realized how hard it was on the road Congrats even if u lasted one year. Thats why I will work at a small show when Im older.
IndianaTED
Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:40:05 AM
With-It, thanks for the dose of reality.

I know that alot of fans think that running away with the carnival looks like fun, and I'm sure it is very, very hard work and trying times. Could I do it? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is there are people doing it now who at one time were "not with-it" (no disrespect meant towards the original author of this topic), so its not like it hasn't been done by people that might have been considered fans before they did it.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Bowler Roller
Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:45:55 AM
Done it all, but luckily, it doesn't take long to figure out how to avoid the worst of those situations. I'd do it again, but not if I had to go through background checks, couldn't smoke in the joint, give anyone my SS#, or had to register with the state.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
JustinJames
Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:36:28 AM
It is what you make of it. Buy a fridge, microwave and save your money by eating at home. You'd be amazed what you could come out on top with
Predatorocks
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:06:48 AM
It sounds like the government should get on these carnivals as they aren't abiding by the law.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/flsa/ 
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:10:38 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Predatorocks

It sounds like the government should get on these carnivals as they aren't abiding by the law.

don't stop there, let Uncle Sam euthanize retards as well/
UserPostedImage
Bowler Roller
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:16:32 AM
Quote:

quote:

Do that and there won't be any travelling shows left.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:28:07 AM
Quote:

quote:

Are you kidding us with that statement? How old are you?
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:34:43 AM
Quote:

quote:

Id really like to reply to this statement, but i dont want to chance getting banned.
WestCoastPat
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:37:44 AM
Question?-Is it possible for shows today to actually operate while paying the minimum wage required by the state or federal government? Or is it the way it has always been-60 or 70 hour weeks for $250.00 week?
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
cny_chris
Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:51:06 AM
Quote:

quote:

It's not quite that cut-and-dry. There are PLENTY of exceptions to the rules. If there weren't, carnivals would have been out of business a long time ago.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy