Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:14:07 PM
We had some good discussions on some other older rides so I thought I would through something else out. I am interested in this kind of information so I am always looking for more.

The Octopus was introduced first, does anyone know what year?

Was there an octopus that had two tubs on each sweep? I know I have seen pictures of this and it wasn't a spider (with the curved sweeps).

What year was the Monster and Spider introduced. According to the "Rides of 1960" website it states that the "The Monster and Spider would not be introduced until 1962 and 1967, respectively." Was the monster introduced before the spider? Are the years reversed?

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
cokomocola
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:40:37 PM
What I have been told is that the Monster was out before the spider and for the 16 tub Octopus they were not a popular as the 8 tub now there was a four sweep Octopus that had two tubs on each sweep it was out in the 70's but was not a big success so there was only a few of those built.
Carnivalbuff
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:09:53 PM
Yes, I actually remember the 8 sweep Octopus with double tubs. Frankie McCloud had one that he set up in numerous spots in Virginia with "Old Dominiona Amusements" back in the 70's. I can not say I have seen one since, but I remember this was just like the old octopus with a single tub, whereas the sweeps were straight. It was almost as if it was the same ride with the same center, they just added a straight piece at the end of each sweep to accomodate two tubs instead of one. I was just a kid then, so I am not sure if that is how this was done.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:54:21 PM
I remember when the older puuses were referred to as long arm, the arms mounted to the center in a stack of two squaares offset 45 deg. Reffered to as over and under. The next generation was refrred to a straight arm. The arms all mounted on the same level. The arms were made of channel and latticed together. The newer one had a mounted just beyond where the rod anchored that was offset. If you had the 16 tub version the bar with seat mountings bolted on there other wise the was an extention mounted for the 8 seat model

The next model came out with tubing for arms and the spider folled with six arms
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Ridee-O
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:50:14 PM
[:)]Great ride the Octopus, came out around 1936. Eyerly built an 8 arm, 6 arm and 4 arm models. The Monster made its debut at the Seattle world's Fair in 1962(?)only had 4 or 5 arms, then the Spider came out with either 6 or 8 arms. 16 tub models were for the shows that needed capacity. I had one booked on my show one season , for the good spots they put all arms and cars on and for the smaller spots they put just 4 arms on.
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:58:43 PM
There are one or two 8 armed Spiders out there, I believe Mr. Hurley posted some pics of one a while back. Does anyone know what year they started putting fiberglass tubs on the 'Puss?
Gotta love a gas powered Octopus.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Keith
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:14:26 PM
Your topic is an interesting one.

The larger shows carried 16 car (Double Octopuses as I read they were named). Royal American certainly did, very likely to obtain higher capacity.

Now the first Spider I saw was a 8 arm, 16 tub factory T/M’d with a gas drive unit.
http://www.members.shaw....rn/images/8armspider.jpg 

Night PNE Vancouver, Canada - August 1966
http://www.members.shaw....n/images/spidernight.jpg 

Seemed to me that newer 8 arm pieces w/newer tubs had shorter arms.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:42:51 PM
Strates had a 16 tub Octopus thru about 1972. They got a 6 arm Spider in 1970. Replaced it with a used Monster in 1984.

Saw a 16 tub Octopus in NY on Sofo Amusements in mid 90's.
mikecroaro
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:19:22 PM
Hi Folks:

Larry Davis' Carnival Time Shows (CA) had a beautifull 16 arm Octopus. It was for sale on Usedrides.com a month or so ago. May still be there. Too bad his kids don't use on their shows.

Mike
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:50:56 AM
I think the Monster came out later in the 60's but not as early as 62.
UserPostedImage
jb
  •  jb
  • 51.84% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:57:04 AM
Frank Suton used to carry a 16 tub puss..but I dont think he still has it..
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:00:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill P

Strates had a 16 tub Octopus thru about 1972. They got a 6 arm Spider in 1970. Replaced it with a used Monster in 1984.

Saw a 16 tub Octopus in NY on Sofo Amusements in mid 90's.

Wheelock had one on their show in '97. Only one I had ever seen.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
Predatorocks
Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:52:09 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

There are one or two 8 armed Spiders out there, I believe Mr. Hurley posted some pics of one a while back. Does anyone know what year they started putting fiberglass tubs on the 'Puss?
Gotta love a gas powered Octopus.

I don't understand why they didn't make all the Spiders have 8 arms?

I really don't care for the Monsters. Those rides are just so darn boring. The cars just don't want to spin. The Spider, and Octopus are awesome though!
Flying Coaster
Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:08:33 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

Six Flags over GA used to have a Monster, called Mo Mo. Not real sure if it is still there or not tho.
tre

So did Six Flags St. Louis, in the 70's & early 80's, same name. Maybe the same one?
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:25:49 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

Six Flags over GA used to have a Monster, called Mo Mo. Not real sure if it is still there or not tho.
tre

Cedar Point still does, so does Dorney Park and I believe Kings Island still has their's.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain