IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, June 7, 2008 7:15:20 PM
Late Friday night and until around 10 am Saturday morning(at least where I am at), West Central Indiana and extending on past the south side of Indianapolis, widespread torrential rains have occurred. The local rain gauge showed in excess of 10 inches in about a 12 hour to 15 hour period. Flooding, like this that has never been experienced by many communities is occurring. Roads and bridges are being eroded away. I-70 has been closed, and has yet to be reopened for east bound traffic. Videos on TV news has shown water up to the second story of two story homes, cars are submerged. I personally had 3 inches of water inside my living space in my home.

After watching the news, I feel fortunate!

In Terre Haute, 13.85 inches have been officially recorded just in the first 7 days of this month. This has already established a new record for rain in an entire month...just 7 days in...and oh yeah, there's more coming Monday. Over 34 inches of rain has fallen in this area so far this year, when we should be around 18. That is at the TV station, and I know others who also keep weather measurements and statistics that have even greater amounts than the "official" site has. A local gentleman in my town has measured 17 inches at his house in June alone. I'm considering building an ark!

My heart goes out to all who have lost their homes in this tragic turn of events. Normal home owners insurance will not cover damage due to floods. You have to have specific flood insurance. And if in your entire life you've never seen water like this around your house, why would you invest in it. Hardly anybody has, and no one I know of personally.

Please, don't ever think this, or some other natural disaster couldn't happen to you. It seems we are seeing it more and more.

The reason I mention this here...besides just having compassion for those suffering, did any Shows get caught in the massive flooding?

http://www.wthitv.com/ 

I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Jackpotter
Saturday, June 7, 2008 7:33:37 PM
TV Weatherman in Louisville said that in Columbus they are calling this a "500 year flood". WOW.
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Saturday, June 7, 2008 7:48:18 PM
I've never felt more helpless in my life than I did this morning, sitting in my truck, across the street from my home in an elevated church parking lot, watching the rain keep coming and coming harder, and seeing the water level slowly rise until it finally appeared to be above my floor level. Not a thing I or anyone else could do but just to wait for it to stop and go down. Its a very humbling experience to open the door to your home and seeing dirty water all over your floors and on your furniture.

But like I said before, I'm one of the lucky ones. My house will still be liveable, some others are ruined!
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:07:23 AM
Really sorry to hear this happend to you Ted.
alibiguyny
Sunday, June 8, 2008 5:38:38 AM
ted im there now and it sucks. i feel for you man. i wish there was somthing i could do for you man.
i dont smell em i just tell em......
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Sunday, June 8, 2008 8:11:38 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by alibiguyny

ted im there now and it sucks. i feel for you man. i wish there was somthing i could do for you man.

Where? What Show and what town? And what is the situation?

Thanks for your considerations, but I'm OK, others...WOW...this is big!
stip
  •  stip
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Monday, June 9, 2008 4:02:00 AM
Most roads and bridges around have been affected. Our town will be out of water for 6-8 days due to a watermain break. We are the lucky ones. Our hearts go out to the ones around that have been devastated.
Benjibear
Monday, June 9, 2008 4:30:06 AM
My heart goes out to all that have been affected. While it never happened to me dirrectly, I have seen pictures and heard stories from my family that were affected in 1972 by Hurrican Agnes.
Also, I did help my borther-in-law at his house when he got hit by flooding a few years ago. It never hit his main level but it did get to the joists for the first floor. The entire basement was under water. It took days first to remove the flooded items, then to scrub and clean, and restore electric. Ted, just make sure you dry your house out really good and if your electrical panel is affected have a electrician replace it. My brother-in-laws neighbor told him to just dry out the panel and turn it on, that it will work. I wouldn't let my brother-in-law do that and insisted that he replace it. His neighbor should have done the same because a few months later his hosue caught on fire and that was the cause. Also, his neighbor didn't dry his house properly and was having some major mold problems. Ted, run fans, dehumidifiers, and scrub everythingh really good with bleach water solution so you don't get mold.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Skywheelrider
Monday, June 9, 2008 6:17:02 AM
Ted, really sorry to hear about your situation. My great aunt's parents live just south of Indianapolis and they lost everything, the water was up to the roof of their home. My prayers are with all of you.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, June 9, 2008 7:07:12 AM
My uncle lost a 3 story house in a flood in Indy some where...
JustinJames
Monday, June 9, 2008 7:09:46 AM
My friend Rhonda lost her house to it in Indy.

Anybody know if Jokerkat from MCW was affected??? I tried to call but the number is disconnected. Her hubby is working with McDonagh now but they aren't near my area yet.
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Friday, June 13, 2008 9:39:44 PM
ryan made it out fine. Actually was in south caronlina for the week. Had a corn field flood and kill the plants, will lose the corn this year. The wabash river was about 20 feet higher at I65 tonight that it normally is. Need some sun fast
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson