Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, May 25, 2008 4:21:30 AM
ride centers, or wheel axels

I'm somewhat new to modeling, I did do it about 15 years ago and most from kits.

When I tried to build my own, I found it very hard to create a perfect center, where sweeps were evenly spaced and still had enough "meat" to hold.

Can someone share with me, how you can do this and make it look real?
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:37:43 AM
In my most recent project of the chaos, I used the center from a faller tornado (so that it would fit in the gear drive for being motorized). Then what I did was made a template out of paper of the position that each sweep needed to be in to be spaced correctly. I place that paper under the center which was basically just a hunk of plastic in a circle then glued each sweep to that center using the template sitting under everything to position each sweep accurately. I used "zap" because its quick setting glue. Each sweep dried pretty accurate compared to my template under then. Only probelm was some of the glue ran and the template glued itself to the bottom of the sweeps a little. Had to go back in with the x-acto and dremel to clean it up some. Since the center is hidden by the ride scenery it didnt need to be real pretty. As for other rides I think I know where you are going with this, and my scenario may not be the same. I know Don made a center for Matt's yoyo which you would see when the ride is complete, so that may be a route too.... IHC kits are pretty good for using parts for different projects. They are pretty inexpensive and you can recycle the parts for other things as well.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:14:02 PM
Thanks Ted;

With all that engineering training, I should have known to ask you!

Did you graduate yet? or is it this year?
Matt C.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:19:33 AM
I used to draw out the arrangement of sweeps on the hub in CAD, print it out to scale and then use that as a template.

Don built my Yo Yo hub using a lathe and then cut in the slots for the sweeps. He did a terriffic job!
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com