Chris_texas
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:20:51 AM
My name is Chris and I am a huge fan of carnivals. I pretty much love everything about them: the lights, the showmen, the smells, to me they have always been magical. Probably most of you feel the same or you wouldn’t be posting here.

Currently I work as a clown -- twisting balloons, a bit of juggling, face painting, you know… clown stuff. Now that my daughter has gone off to college, my wife and I are wondering what to do with ourselves and the idea of trying to work for a carnival came up as something that sounded fun. So we have been doing a bit of research. I am hoping that you guys can answer some of my questions.

Obviously most carnivals are looking for people with carnival experience. Neither of us have any. We could learn of course, but for now we have none. Without this experience how difficult is it to get a job? I do have a CDL if that’s worth anything.

Second question, how much do starting carnival workers earn?

Finally, as I said, I work as a clown. If I wasn’t going to work for a carnival, do carnival owners or operators sometimes allow people like me to work the crowd, twisting balloons. I assume I would have to give the show a cut of what I earn. If so, who should I ask to speak to at a show?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Chris
FunkyTown
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:01:53 AM
Well if you have good experience as a clown and could crack jokes every second, then I would have to say "Soak The Bloke or Dunk Bobo The Clown"

Bowler Roller
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:11:28 AM
You've got a CDL, you'll be in high demand.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Pizzagod
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:25:12 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Chris_texas

My name is Chris and I am a huge fan of carnivals. I pretty much love everything about them: the lights, the showmen, the smells, to me they have always been magical. Probably most of you feel the same or you wouldn’t be posting here.

Um the smells of the showmen?

Currently I work as a clown

We all do. Just look at our red noses...

-- twisting balloons, a bit of juggling, face painting, you know… clown stuff. Now that my daughter has gone off to college, my wife and I are wondering what to do with ourselves and the idea of trying to work for a carnival came up as something that sounded fun. So we have been doing a bit of research. I am hoping that you guys can answer some of my questions.

Obviously most carnivals are looking for people with carnival experience. Neither of us have any. We could learn of course, but for now we have none. Without this experience how difficult is it to get a job? I do have a CDL if that’s worth anything.

Second question, how much do starting carnival workers earn?

We try to remain competitive. You're usually looking at six figure income (WE get to place the decimal point) and a full benefit package. Yup, you think you're getting benefits, you're full of it...

Finally, as I said, I work as a clown. If I wasn’t going to work for a carnival, do carnival owners or operators sometimes allow people like me to work the crowd, twisting balloons. I assume I would have to give the show a cut of what I earn. If so, who should I ask to speak to at a show?

If you know a psychic, you could have him channel Ed Gregory. He had a clown on the payroll. Of course he was the company snitch too, and when he left the show it was hard to find a man who could fill his shoes (really really big ones....)

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Chris

Okay, all seriousness aside-the CDL is probably your best draw. I'd look for a big show where the show owner has some vision and understanding of the needs to totally cater to the public. I'd look at Wade for one, if anybody has vision and can think outside the box, it would be Frank.

I'd also think about NAME, it would seem that some of the venues they have (especially the Canadian stuff) would really do well with more entertainment, and NAME was trying to be a one stop shop anyway.

Good luck, you'll always be welcome here, just don't ask to borrow any money.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:58:05 AM
well Funkytown and Bowler roller hit on the 2 things that jumped out at me while I was reading your post. Im not sure what the demand for the BoBo tank is but having a CDL is a HUGE advantage. Good Luck in finding a show to call home...
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:12:54 AM
What shape is your back in? A strong back or a gift of gab will get you hired.
UserPostedImage
Chris_texas
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:29:45 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

What shape is your back in? A strong back or a gift of gab will get you hired.

I'm not afraid of work, but I am not a kid any more either (41). I am very comfortable talking to people as well as entertaining (or trying at any rate) crowds.

I appreciate all the advice.

I am thinking that maybe the next time a Carnival comes to my area, perhaps I can volunteer my time. You never know, they might say yes.

with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:00:01 AM
I know a guy up here that does the Balloon Twisting thing...He works off tips and gets good action working tables at resturants like Fridays, applebees, Chocthzies, and Flingers. Not to mention getting meal tickets for free meals to boot....Atleast he don't have to worry about going hungry. Knowing a few ez magic tricks helps too...This guy is a lil older then you and can't read and makes enough to do ok...
Chris_texas
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:34:16 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

I know a guy up here that does the Balloon Twisting thing...He works off tips and gets good action working tables at resturants like Fridays, applebees, Chocthzies, and Flingers. Not to mention getting meal tickets for free meals to boot....Atleast he don't have to worry about going hungry. Knowing a few ez magic tricks helps too...This guy is a lil older then you and can't read and makes enough to do ok...

Yeah, I am not missing any meals. Okay house, almost totally debt free... just want to have some fun.
litepride
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:25:54 PM
we have guy who we pay to do magic and balloon tricks animals ect. just general free entertainment on midway and he does not have cdl so you have advantage over him.....
Bowler Roller
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:41:43 PM
If you like talking to people, work games. If you like entertaining them, work a game with a mic. You can probably make extra, moving a ride for the show.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:45:32 PM
good luck with your venture....
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:15:53 PM
Carnival attendees are so use to free twisties that you would not make it.

Show up on the lot and discuss your interests with the owner but don't plan on doing balloons.
UserPostedImage
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:19:21 AM
Maybe a group game would be up your alley...small crowds and you play ever race to get ready for the next one. It's a constant grind of the crowd...
stevo4
Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:52:31 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

I know a guy up here that does the Balloon Twisting thing... like Fridays, applebees, Chocthzies, and Flingers.

Am i the only one who got the Office Space reference? LoL. I Production Managed a Dunkin Donuts commercial a couple of years ago and one of the actors was Steve the "O Face" guy. I had him sign my DVD of Office Space. That was awesome!