Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, May 19, 2008 6:00:34 AM
Is there really much difference in the park vs portable on the YOYO?> Rye Playland wants to say their's is superior.

http://lohud.com/apps/pb...WS02/805190341/-1/SPORTS 
Playland: Ride isn't like one in California crash
By Jonathan Bandler
The Journal News • May 19, 2008

A carnival ride that malfunctioned and injured nearly two dozen young people at a California fair was built by the same company as one set to return in June to Playland Amusement Park.

News of the crash Friday night came as Westchester County parks officials have wrapped up a winter spent emphasizing how safe Playland really is despite three fatal accidents at the Rye park in recent years.

They were optimistic yesterday that the Yo-Yo swing ride they recently bought from Chance Rides would be free of whatever problems might have caused the California incident - primarily because Playland's new version is a "park model" and not the portable version generally used at state and county fairs.

"We bought it from a company that has a very reputable history and we vet them out, vet out their safety record," said Peter Tartaglia, a spokesman for the county parks department, who was unaware that Chance built the California ride as well. "The Yo-Yo is a somewhat traditional model. There are several different versions of it. It's a popular ride."

The accident Friday occurred at the Calaveras County Fair and Jumping Frog Jubilee in Angels Camp, Calif. Twenty-three people, mostly children and teenagers, were thrown to the ground and injured. Two girls who were the most seriously injured were released from local hospitals yesterday, the Calaveras County Sheriff's Department said.

The ride features metal arms connected to a rotating hub, with chairs attached to the arms by chains. The chains swing out when the arms rise and fall as the hub picks up speed.

An initial investigation suggests that a mechanical failure in the machine's hub disrupted its normal rotation, causing the chairs to collide with one another and the chains to become tangled, said Paul Feist, assistant secretary of the California Labor and Workforce Development Agency. The agency oversees the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration,which is is investigating the accident.

The Yo-Yo Family Swing Ride and the Himalaya Music Express Ride are being added to Playland this season at a cost of $1.7 million. The Music Express is expected to be open by Memorial Day; the Yo-Yo, built by Chance Rides, was bought new from the manufacturer and is not expected to be installed and opened until June. They replace the Power Surge and the Mind Scrambler rides. A 7-year-old girl died on the Mind Scrambler in 2004, and a 21-year-old woman who operated the Mind Scrambler died when she took a ride on in it in June 2007.

Playland had another swing ride, also called the Yo-Yo, until two years ago. It was made by an Italian company and needed a new driveshaft so officials decided to get a new one, said Joseph Stout, the county parks commissioner.

The marketing director of the Calaveras County fair said yesterday that she had not yet seen documentation indicating who built the ride that crashed. But Capt. Clay Hawkins of the Calaveras County Sheriff's Department said the manufacturer was Chance.

The Associated Press contributed information in this article.
Reach Jonathan Bandler at jbandler@lohud.com or 914-694-3520.
Predatorocks
Monday, May 19, 2008 6:11:31 AM
The only thing I can think of is that this Yo-Yo might not be able to collapse because it doesn't get torn down, but maybe it still does because they have to inspect is somehow. I don't know if that's the case though, but maybe.

It sounds like they are bragging about the Yo-Yo that got, and while it makes news, why not talk about their own. That is kind of bad in my opinion to do something like that.
cny_chris
Monday, May 19, 2008 7:19:51 AM
You beat me to this one, Sue. Biggest difference would likely be trailer vs. no trailer (mounted to a footing). I'll have to look and see if I have spec sheets for them, and see if there are any other obvious differences.

I don't think they are implying that the park model is superior. I think they are trying to distance themselves from the incident in California, given the incidents that have occurred at the park over the last several years.

Quote:

quote:

"We bought it from a company that has a very reputable history and we vet them out, vet out their safety record," said Peter Tartaglia, a spokesman for the county parks department, who was unaware that Chance built the California ride as well.

In fact, from that part of the article, it sounds like they got caught off guard by the reporter.

Quote:

quote:

They were optimistic yesterday that the Yo-Yo swing ride they recently bought from Chance Rides would be free of whatever problems might have caused the California incident - primarily because Playland's new version is a "park model" and not the portable version generally used at state and county fairs.

Is it me, or does that last part of the statement perpetuate the myth that portable rides are more dangerous than park rides? Not a great article, more of a biased fluff/feel-good piece.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Nickb
  •  Nickb
  • 50.68% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Monday, May 19, 2008 8:35:26 AM
This is really just PR for the park
when it comes down to what failed this probably has to do with the hydraulic cylinder. Chance requires that all YOYO cylinders be rebuilt by Chance every 5 years. So as to avoid what happened in CA.
Matt C.
Monday, May 19, 2008 8:48:49 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Nickb

This is really just PR for the park
when it comes down to what failed this probably has to do with the hydraulic cylinder. Chance requires that all YOYO cylinders be rebuilt by Chance every 5 years. So as to avoid what happened in CA.

I think you're right about the fancy PR work.. how much you want to bet it's even a trailer mounted version? LOL

You're right about the Yo Yo cylinders... but, I dont think anyone has determined that as the official cause of the problem, have they?
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Missin it
Monday, May 19, 2008 5:36:12 PM
Isn't cool when the county wants to play Carny too!!!!!!!!!!
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
cny_chris
Monday, May 19, 2008 6:03:53 PM
A followup to what I posted earlier.

Spec sheet for Park Model:

http://www.chancemorgan.com/gra...pics/Spec_Yo_Yo_Park.pdf 

Spec sheet for Portable Model:

http://www.chancemorgan.com/gra.../Spec_Yo_Yo_Portable.pdf 

Not much of a difference, it appears...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy