JustJeff
  •  JustJeff
  • 67.9% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, February 18, 2008 8:19:26 AM
Hello all,I am a new member.although I have been "lurking" for 8 or 9 months.Was a ride guy for B and B ride company(Bartosiks) back in the late 70s and early 80s.Also used to work joints in the fall as I worked my way to florida each year.Spent a short time on Reithoffers,also Belle City,and worked parades in the carolinas my last year out which was 83.Used to go to Trade show to see Ted for a couple years after,but lost touch after a while.
Stay in touch with a couple guys still out there ,Anthony Doty 3D amusements being one.Good friend.Thats all for now. jeff
Matt C.
Monday, February 18, 2008 8:30:48 AM
Welcome to the board Jeff!

Were you with B&B when they tried to move the YoYo down the midway without tearing it down? lol
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Pizzagod
Monday, February 18, 2008 8:36:44 AM
NEW GUY BUYS FIRST ROUND!!!!
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
JustJeff
  •  JustJeff
  • 67.9% (Friendly)
Monday, February 18, 2008 8:40:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome Matt.
No I don,t recall them having a yo-yo.I was on Teds unit for a few years although I would go down to the island with Bernie once in a while.Bernie used to book on with Lou Newton back then.Then my last year out I was on Joes unit.
2ndgencarnie
Monday, February 18, 2008 8:48:21 AM
welcome and good luck...[8D]
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 18, 2008 11:05:52 AM
Hey Jeff we were with Teddy Bartosik back about the same time that you were there I had a Schantz Jewelry concession trailer back then and we worked around Syracuse places like Chittenago,Colonie and lots of other places in upstate New York and also worked around Continetal shows with Doris Fritz and husband Fred and Son Joey and daughter Cindy.In New Hyde Park it was so muddy once that Ted took a old cable off the Ferris wheel and cut it in half and made a loop on each end and we used my truck and I would back up to the edge of the pavement and run the cable down to what ever we needed pulled out and it took us all day to get the show out.
Herb
JustJeff
  •  JustJeff
  • 67.9% (Friendly)
Monday, February 18, 2008 11:51:18 AM
Hey Grbjnt,
I remember playing Chittenango about 81 or 82. That happens to be my wifes hometown. I set a rolldown coke bottle joint up at that spot,and contrary to what a lot of people believe,all the ride jocks don't get free rent,not even a break on it most of the time.
I played colonie also .Is your first name Roy? I was talking to Tony a few minutes ago and we both think we remember you.
I noticed on your earlier posts you live in Pasco county.Me too.Right off 52----Colony road.Do you know it?
Don't recall the incident with Ted and the cable,but as I thought about the incident Matt mentioned earlier about the Yo-yo ,I do remember hearing some of the guys talking about something like that.
I remember something about them hooking a chain to a ride and pulling it 6 or 8 inches.Must have been what they were talking about.Nothing surprises me when it comes to those Bartosiks.. jeff
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 18, 2008 12:24:32 PM
i was there i n the late 80s early 90's, we called the yoyo the slow yo. you couldn't fill it up and you have to pull it around till it got goin, fiesta shows bought it and know since retired it from the road.played with joe in the hudson vally region, al dereece was there at the time, we had alot of fun back then and made a few dollers..
the bartosiks were good guys...
welcome jeff.
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 18, 2008 12:25:50 PM
hey buy the way was jerry and his brothers there when you were around.
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"

" GO YANKEES "
JustJeff
  •  JustJeff
  • 67.9% (Friendly)
Monday, February 18, 2008 12:42:28 PM
crny1234,pizzagod 2ndgencarny,
Thanks to all for the welcome.
I guess the yo-yo was after me,Yes I remember Big Al Derise,in fact he set up a joint in Poughkeepsee one spot so me and my ex could work that week.Don't think he made anything ,but we tried.He used to have a stock house in Beacon we used to all get stock from.My ex worked for Ben and Clara in the popper for a while,Then she worked for Al Novak,and also Wayne Chambers in a set of Parker dozers.If you mean Jerry Kelly,Yes he was around.He and I were good friends and I was very sad when I learned of his death.
Rick Hoffman was Teds main guy when I was there,Rick Doty was Joes'and I can't remember who Bernie had. Thanks again to all jeff
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 18, 2008 12:56:16 PM
thats funny i forgot about doty, what abought frank gorman, al derise is that type of person. he'd give anyone a hand. ya that was sad about jerry. joann navvarra had the popper with ted when i was around, she also had the dough with joe and her and al had a pizza there...

" GO YANKEES "
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, February 18, 2008 1:19:21 PM
Grbjnt
  •  Grbjnt
  • 55.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 18, 2008 1:42:10 PM
Jeff my name is Herb not Roy and I live in Odessa in the area of 54 and Gunn Hwy behind the flea Mkt. Al Novack and his family were there when we were there and Ben was there I believe he was electtrician and Dennis Bartosic had his arcade up the last time I saw Al he was working for a large Pennys furniture store on North Dale Mabry in Tampa I believe his wife was related to Joe Mikolache and they lived in Land O Lakes Fla In Colonia I used to relieve Wayne Chambers in the dozers so he could have a break and I always used to worry about getting busted for working the dozers they were Dale Parkers, We had the large living quarters custom built on a Chevy 50 series truck it was red and white we also worked with Rocky Dell up there in that part of the woods his show was called Great American Shows and also Joe Terlone used to be up in that area .quote]Originally posted by Jeffrey Paul Brown

Hey Grbjnt,
I remember playing Chittenango about 81 or 82. That happens to be my wifes hometown. I set a rolldown coke bottle joint up at that spot,and contrary to what a lot of people believe,all the ride jocks don't get free rent,not even a break on it most of the time.
I played colonie also .Is your first name Roy? I was talking to Tony a few minutes ago and we both think we remember you.
I noticed on your earlier posts you live in Pasco county.Me too.Right off 52----Colony road.Do you know it?
Don't recall the incident with Ted and the cable,but as I thought about the incident Matt mentioned earlier about the Yo-yo ,I do remember hearing some of the guys talking about something like that.
I remember something about them hooking a chain to a ride and pulling it 6 or 8 inches.Must have been what they were talking about.Nothing surprises me when it comes to those Bartosiks.. jeff

Herb
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 18, 2008 1:43:45 PM
How about John Mason from the Bainbridge area?? I wanna say that he worked on Bernie's unit, but he did mention Ted and Joe often. Guy used to crack me up with the many stories he had from the B&B days.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
JustJeff
  •  JustJeff
  • 67.9% (Friendly)
Monday, February 18, 2008 2:38:58 PM
to powersbt-I don't remember a John Mason,but I have fond memories of Bainbridge.Almost like a vacation spot.Memorial Day weekend,didn't open till friday,beautiful grass,right on the river,and the nightlife!!!
Grbjnt--I had you confused with someone else.--Ben was a little bit of everything,there was nothing he couln't fix,the man was a genius in my mind,and his son Henry ran the popper on Joes unit.Same kind of guy,master welder,mechanic,you name it.Their last name was Balduc.
Dennis had the big arcade and how about the trailer mounted version?the only one I ever saw.His cousin Larry used to work with him.Wayne had a fifth wheel trailer when he was with us,but I do remember when he stayed in motels or in the truck.I saw him several years ago at the Pasco county fair back when cumberland valley still played it.
I heard Al quit the road but I can't recall where I heard it from.
to with-it---thank-you
If I get off-topic I apologise,this is my first time on any type message board so please bear with me.
Lastly--I am taking the family to the fair (Pasco county) either tomorrow or wednesday,and I will make a feeble attempt at a trip report.