Someone tryed to hack my account, anyone elsehad this problem
I Don't deserve to be here
squirrel
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:55:01 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by transplant2

And curious how you know someone tried to hack your account?
Mr. Fixit
Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:04:02 AM
Quote:

quote:

Please PM me with the details. I'm also curious as to how you knew someone tried to hack it. Discussing it in a post on the forum might make it easier for a copycat to try the same method on other accounts. Thanks!
CAUTION, Administrator at work. This is a troll-free zone.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
transplant2
Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:16:42 AM
You guys are really funny . No i got a message from someone on here that someone tryed to get in using another password
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:03:28 PM
Quote:

quote:

You guys are really funny . No i got a message from someone on here that someone tryed to get in using another password

Makes absolutely no sense at all.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:20:21 PM
I think what Gib is trying to say is he got a "forgot your password" email from here, the kind you get when you literally forget your password at a site and need to reset it. I got that email from here a year ago, and I had not tried to reset my password or clicked on the link to get the email. What that told me (and Gib I would assume) is that someone tried to get into the account, could not figure out the password and clicked on forgot password which generated the email.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Mr. Fixit
Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:41:43 PM
Looking into it. Might be what Skywheelrider mentions. If so, all the more reason to make sure your password is a good one. Instructions on how to do it, and what characteristics a good password has are in this post:

http://www.carnivalwarehouse.co...topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19872 

Hope this helps.
CAUTION, Administrator at work. This is a troll-free zone.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
transplant2
Friday, January 25, 2008 2:39:33 AM
I DID NOT FORGET MY PASSWORD, AS A MATTER OF FACT I STAY LOGGED ON UNTIL IT TELLS ME TO SIGN IN AGAIN. YOU KNOW WHAT FORGET IT .YOU GUYS ARE ALL MAKING ASSUMPTIONS (WHICH A REAL GOOD FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME WAS THE MOTHER OF ALL F$@KUPS)SO FORGET IT
squirrel
Friday, January 25, 2008 6:16:18 AM
Quote:

quote:

I DID NOT FORGET MY PASSWORD, AS A MATTER OF FACT I STAY LOGGED ON UNTIL IT TELLS ME TO SIGN IN AGAIN. YOU KNOW WHAT FORGET IT .YOU GUYS ARE ALL MAKING ASSUMPTIONS (WHICH A REAL GOOD FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME WAS THE MOTHER OF ALL F$@KUPS)SO FORGET IT

You know what -- before anyone else responded to you, I asked you one simple question. You gave an answer that states: No i got a message from someone on here that someone tried to get in using another password.

First off, there are only three ways you will receive an email from these forums. The first one is if someone clicks the "Lost Password" link underneath the login button. It will ask them their username and then EMAIL that username the link to change the password. It does NOT let them tell where (or to what email address) to send that link. The link will ONLY go the email address registered to that account.

Second case where you can get an email from this system is if someone sends you a Private Message (PM) -- the forum server will send a message saying "You have a New Private Message - Click Here to read it..."

The FINAL way you can get sent an email from this system is if someone goes to "View a Member" and selects your name from the list -- it will allow them to send you an email. But it's done through a form on the site -- it DOES NOT give out the email address or make it public.

The last two options require that a user already be LOGGED IN before doing either (viewing a member profile OR sending members a PM or an Email).

The ONLY WAY someone is going to expose your password here is if they GUESS the password you already have OR they hack the email account you used to register with, then they click the Lost Password link and get the email the system sends to your email account (because they've hacked your email account, not the forum). Again, the second case has nothing to do with the forums, rather it points to a security issue with the email server that is hosting your email account.

Now lemme explain something to ya: I know more about this software than anyone else on here. I implemented it and wrote half of the modifications to it that make all the bells and whistles around here. All I was trying to do was get to the bottom of it. If you're having a problem or a suspicion, you won't get a better answer than from me if it regards these forums and how they run. IF you choose to let these other guys rib you to the point where you flip out, rather than get the answer to your question, then that's your loss... I was willing to actually investigate this for you. This included digging through miles of server logs to track the issue down (and there are only three people in the world that have access to the raw logs...) People have been complaining about accounts getting hacked around here for years, and I'm sorry but the forum software won't allow it.

Now, if you still want to investigate this, and not get caught up in the 'games' around here and 'ribbing' then send me a PM or something and I will help you. But responding with "No i got a message from someone on here that someone tried to get in using another password. tells me absolutely nothing... I think someone's messing with you trying to get you to expose your password because messages like that aren't sent by the system, only by a member. If that's the case, maybe we need to know from the member that 'sent you that message'...
squirrel
Friday, January 25, 2008 6:19:20 AM
And just so nobody thinks this is a big joke and transplant2 is losing it, I already nuked the messages that did not follow this topic. Security is an issue around here, and while it was pretty funny, it got out of line...
transplant2
Friday, January 25, 2008 7:36:57 AM
I already sent the message i got to Matt C and Mr. Fixit and Matt seems to be the only one interested and not telling me I'm full of it. I said someone TRYED to HACK
squirrel
Friday, January 25, 2008 7:45:24 AM
Quote:

quote:

I already sent the message i got to Matt C and Mr. Fixit and Matt seems to be the only one interested and not telling me I'm full of it. I said someone TRYED to HACK

And again, you apparently didn't read my reply through all the way. I never said ONCE that you were full of it. I asked you to give me more information...

But no worries -- I'm done with this now -- good luck. I got better things to waste my time on than deal with this sh*t...
transplant2
Friday, January 25, 2008 11:18:22 AM
yea ok