Geneo55
  •  Geneo55
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:52:00 AM
There was a time when you walked on a lot when the term "with it" meant something. I got to tell ya this story it really happened to me.

I met with an old buddy from my youth on a lot last summer. we thought it would be good to meet up again and visit some of the gang that was still on the show. Walking down the midway I did pass under the awnings, I will admit that, and the agent calls me in. I politely told him I was with it. He Say's "well let me show you how this game is played". I blankley look him in the eye and tell him I'm with it. He asks if I've played the game before. Told him I hadn't seen buckets on the lot for a long time ( is that a hint or what?). He tells me this isn't like the old game and offers to show me how it's played. I could only respond with a "no thanks" and walked on. Further on down we stopped at the shows popper ( I guess that what you call them now) and I ordered two Cokes. When I got the cokes I told the gal I was with it. She told me her boyfriend runs the tilt. Stunned I paid her the same amount as the marks paid.

I'm sorry guys I know it might be a dumb question but what the hell does "with it" mean these days?
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:09:17 PM
Unfortunately, the new generation is not hip to much of the old slang.[8D]
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:42:02 PM
A frined of mine went to a fair where he didn't have any joints set up. He said he didn't want to buy a soda, but he broke down and went up the show popper to get one. He said some 14 or 15 year old kid was working the popper. He said, I hand him a 20.00 and he takes it lays a ten down on the counter then starts to give me change for a ten. My buddy said..." No son, that was a 20.00 bill I gave you, I want change for a 20." He said the kid tried to point to the ten and say that's what he was handed... My buddy said...Look I know what your Mom or Dad is teachin ya, but (Points to his xxxx Shows hat) and says, you need to watch your Marks!"
stip
  •  stip
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:56:52 PM
Well Geneo, I traveled with a show in Louisiana and Missouri that charged all the help the same as the marks. Needless to say, the show owners on that show really wanted to let you know they "owned" it. No discounts,no courtesy, no respect for elderly, etc. Of course they were more important than everyone else on earth, they had the show given to them. Usually the case when spoiled offspring take over the show. The old days are gone.
Geneo55
  •  Geneo55
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:07:55 PM
Scott, with all due respect I ask you to edit the name of the show from your post.

Ty
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:35:18 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Geneo55

There was a time when you walked on a lot when the term "with it" meant something. I got to tell ya this story it really happened to me.

I met with an old buddy from my youth on a lot last summer. we thought it would be good to meet up again and visit some of the gang that was still on the show. Walking down the midway I did pass under the awnings, I will admit that, and the agent calls me in. I politely told him I was with it. He Say's "well let me show you how this game is played". I blankley look him in the eye and tell him I'm with it. He asks if I've played the game before. Told him I hadn't seen buckets on the lot for a long time ( is that a hint or what?). He tells me this isn't like the old game and offers to show me how it's played. I could only respond with a "no thanks" and walked on. Further on down we stopped at the shows popper ( I guess that what you call them now) and I ordered two Cokes. When I got the cokes I told the gal I was with it. She told me her boyfriend runs the tilt. Stunned I paid her the same amount as the marks paid.

I'm sorry guys I know it might be a dumb question but what the hell does "with it" mean these days?

not too many of todays so called showpeople are truely WITH IT now days. everything has changed rides, games, food ,agents ,and showowners.i don't understand why anyone would even want to get in to the buisness now days.i grew up in it ,thats why i am still here.there are a few old school showpeople left but when we are gone that will it.
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:36:08 PM
I always thoguth it was very concieded to expect a discount when visiting a lot that your not working just because your a carnie too...I got friends in the food biz that almost never take my money but I always ask what do I owe ya? or leave money on the counter...

As for saying "Widdit" when walking by a joint line up that is'nt a problem here in Ohio for the most part anymore....Most of the help are clerks and don't call anyone in at all.....lol Most of the time they will ask "With What?" at that point I say "with your mom"....lol
Pizzagod
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:17:26 PM
Sadly it's not what it used to be....

If I can spot a carney, I'll usually ask if they are with it. They say yes, even if they aren't working that spot, they get a discount, if not on the house. That's just professional courtesy.

On the other hand....a guy is a jag, I don't care if he owns every piece of iron on the lot (I usually am on the independent) he pays, and he pays the sucker price.

All I can say is that I've only had that happen once, the names will be omitted to protect the guilty, usually an owner is tickled to death that I'm giving any kind of consideration to his help-and I"m glad to do it.

Ya never know when you're going to be the one on the other side of things. So to me, with it means that you've eaten enough dirt, been talked down to enough, treated like crap enough times, and still do a job that 99 people out of a 100 could not do.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Missin it
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:25:48 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pizzagod

Sadly it's not what it used to be....

If I can spot a carney, I'll usually ask if they are with it. They say yes, even if they aren't working that spot, they get a discount, if not on the house. That's just professional courtesy.

On the other hand....a guy is a jag, I don't care if he owns every piece of iron on the lot (I usually am on the independent) he pays, and he pays the sucker price.

All I can say is that I've only had that happen once, the names will be omitted to protect the guilty, usually an owner is tickled to death that I'm giving any kind of consideration to his help-and I"m glad to do it.

Ya never know when you're going to be the one on the other side of things. So to me, with it means that you've eaten enough dirt, been talked down to enough, treated like crap enough times, and still do a job that 99 people out of a 100 could not do.

Damn good reasoning. I visited a few spots last year and I never expect or ask for a "break". I will admit I am like With-it and will ask "how much" or leave money on the counter as well. I don't wear show hat's or shirt's when I visit. I figure the stuff ain't free when I step up to the window. After all the operator had to pay for it didn't they?

Oh yeah, I just wanted to add that it is hard to beat the hospitality on the Gillette midway! Between Jerry's Lemonade, and Big-City Concessions.......
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
johnroach100
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:42:59 PM
If I'm with the show I'd like a break but not free. I've been in a position a few times where the food help has been told not to charge me and I hated it. The stock ain't free, and if the groceries are good I want to be able to go back for more without looking like I'm mooching.
On the other hand if I'm visiting a lot I'll pay what they ask. If I know the people they usually give it to me or charge enough to cover the stock. If they don't know me I'm just another mark. I'm gonna look cheap for a couple bucks?
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:33:48 PM
I've always been one to take care of my friends and vice versa...I get all kinds of Hook ups...But the favor is ususally repaid in one way or another....I have never asked for a discount from someone I did'nt know and would'nt insult someone I did know by asking....If their help charged me the "Mark" price I pay it and don't beef...If I know they take care of me I go when they are in the Joint...otherwise it's no big deal....I've asked to be fronted once or twice until I had some stew...and always repaid.

I played a fair where one day the Beef producers give out free hamburgers...I did'nt know this at the time. These other 40-milers tell everyone else but me and my crew on purpose and then all come by chowing down. Well, one of the guys used to work for me and said something about it when he walked by but I had a player...After I was done I hopped out and went over to ask him what he needed....around his joint was 2 other owners and 3 or 4 others...He said they had free hamburgers by the cattle barns....I proudly told him and the other owners that I was doing Just Fine and Don't want or need a Handout....I told him if he wanted another one I'd get one and he could have it....You should of seen the look on those Jags faces....

Alot of the Carnies here in Ohio won't even Stop or even slow down if they see another one that is'nt in thier little Clique broke down on the road....Very few guys are on the Same team anymore....It's not Us vs. Them it's Us vs. Us anymore.
BSA Mike
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:36:58 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

I've always been one to take care of my friends and vice versa...I get all kinds of Hook ups...But the favor is ususally repaid in one way or another....I have never asked for a discount from someone I did'nt know and would'nt insult someone I did know by asking....If their help charged me the "Mark" price I pay it and don't beef...If I know they take care of me I go when they are in the Joint...otherwise it's no big deal....I've asked to be fronted once or twice until I had some stew...and always repaid.

I played a fair where one day the Beef producers give out free hamburgers...I did'nt know this at the time. These other 40-milers tell everyone else but me and my crew on purpose and then all come by chowing down. Well, one of the guys used to work for me and said something about it when he walked by but I had a player...After I was done I hopped out and went over to ask him what he needed....around his joint was 2 other owners and 3 or 4 others...He said they had free hamburgers by the cattle barns....I proudly told him and the other owners that I was doing Just Fine and Don't want or need a Handout....I told him if he wanted another one I'd get one and he could have it....You should of seen the look on those Jags faces....

Alot of the Carnies here in Ohio won't even Stop or even slow down if they see another one that is'nt in thier little Clique broke down on the road....Very few guys are on the Same team anymore....It's not Us vs. Them it's Us vs. Us anymore.

Had a show owner from out here pass right by my mom who had a ride jump off the ball hitch..never stopped to see what happened or anything...f*cking jag...
Geneo55
  •  Geneo55
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:08:56 PM
With-it put a spin on the topic I hadn't expected and he's right, it was presumptuous of me to expect a discount. It was the gals answer that floored me. Like with it means I'm in love with you and want you to have my baby or something. Before we left the lot that night the ride Sup jumped in and come out with two large cokes for the road for us.

Pizzagod came up with the terms "professional courtesy". Good to hear that again. Not all is lost.

Bottom line from what you have all told me is "with it" don't mean chit. That's not to be confused with With-it, I wouldn't do that. Call it professional courtesy.[:D]
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:47:18 PM
I used to hang an R-Key from my belt loop, and few called me in. Noawadays, I don't see anyone calling marks.

Carnies have a particular lot walk. We're easy to tell apart.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Pizzagod
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:35:03 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowler Roller

I used to hang an R-Key from my belt loop, and few called me in. Noawadays, I don't see anyone calling marks.

Carnies have a particular lot walk. We're easy to tell apart.

You mean our heads are down because so many marks drop money?

[:D]
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.