Skywheelrider
Monday, January 14, 2008 10:35:12 AM
I received a nice email from Warren Renauld, he sent me some photos of IHC kits that he had modified to make them look more realistic. I have done the same thing, it is very easy to do with these kits, they lend themselves to kitbashing with relative ease (if you are somewhat of an experienced amature model builder its even better). So I am posting the photos Warren sent me, and I will post some photos of what I have done (for myself and for Justin's model show), as well as a few that Justin has done as well since he does not have access to a computer to be able to post photos.

Anyone else, feel free to post your photos or links to them. Always cool to see other folks' work! Join in the fun!

Anyways, here is what Warren has done. They all look fantastic IMHO, but I like the colours on the wheels, and the M-G-R really looks awesome. He said the Octopus is based on one he used to run with Imperial Shows. Really nice. Here's the photos.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Monday, January 14, 2008 11:10:28 AM
Okay, here is what I have done with some IHC kits. One more thing about IHC kits, left over pieces, like gears and such, can be great for use in making other ride models. Modifications can be anything, such as not using the IHC base, trailer mounting the model, adding a differnt top (like the Merry-Go-Round), different backwall and scenery, adding doghouses, different decorations to jazz a model up, adding details found on the real rides, the only limit is the imagination.

Frangipani Amusements

Sky Wheel - trailer mounted it, added bracing, trailer boxes, cables, lights (Plastruct flourescent rods), different fence, signs, flags, and only used part of the top of the IHC base.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Eagle 16 Wheel - trailer mounted the wheel, added stars and puff paint lights, sign, light poles, stairs, cables on the trailer and around the wheel on both sides, signs on the towers (which were scratch built as part of the trailer).

UserPostedImage

Alpine Bobs - different scenery (from photos I have taken and some stickers (bottom inside)), light bars on the inside, sign from Raymond Schrum, different entrance way in the front, lowered the doghouse and added a ladder, snowflake stickers on the top. Did not use the IHC base, however, I did cut out the top of the base and glued it underneath to hold the centre in place.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Crazy Dance (Break Dancer) - Different backwall than the one that came with the kit, new signs, different fence, added flags.

UserPostedImage

Falling Star - trailer mounted the back wall separate from the ride, added some details such as light panels and such, new centre piece.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Spider - puff paint lights added, did not use IHC base, added a bally over the mudsills.

UserPostedImage

Daredevil (Tornado) - third theme (Tornado, Shake Off, Daredevil), different backwall, different signs, light panels added to the centre, added a doghouse, different fence, added flags and some decorations.

UserPostedImage

Merry-Go-Round - not much other than painted the horses different colours, added a 1/4" scale RAH Models top cut to size, some details such as puff paint lights and silver paint for the mirrors, poles in between the horses (and chariots). Added an extra horse on top for decoration.

UserPostedImage

Stunt Pilots - IHC Octopus sweeps and centre mounted on a painted used CD-R, sign added in the centre, airplanes purchased at a dollar store.

UserPostedImage

Hampton Combo - IHC Hampton top and centre mounted on a painted used CD-R base, IHC motorcycles used along with other vehicles purchased speparately. Plastruct flourescent tubes used for lights. Bally added around the base. Top painted and decals added.

UserPostedImage

Hampton Motorcycles - bascially cut from the IHC base, Plastruct flourescent tubes for lights added, bally around the base added, top painted and decals added. Some puff paint lights on the sweeps, too.

UserPostedImage

Hampton Boats - basic IHC kit, top painted and decals added, top and track and centre and boats and sweeps used, mounted on a painted used CD-R base, Plastruct flourescent tubes used for lights, bally around the base added as well.

UserPostedImage

Wonderland Shows

Sky Wheel - same as the Frangipani Sky Wheel described above, only difference is signs on the towers on this one, and of course different colours. lol

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

ThunderBolt - basic IHC kit, same scenery and sign, added decals to the top, different scenery on the doghouse and stairs, did not use the IHC base, painted different. Puff paint lights all around the top and on the inside centre. Cut out the top of the base and glued it underneath to hold the centre in place. Flags added for decoration.

UserPostedImage

Astro Wheel - scratch built a trailer and sign and towers, added cables to the trailer and around the wheel. Puff paint lights on the wheel itself. Painted different of course.

UserPostedImage

Rock and Roll - one of my more ambitious attempts at kitbashing. Cut down the sides because I did not use the top. Eliminated fence along the back and added a back wall. Hung the tubs differently, no stairs along the side, lowered the doghouse down. Added a bally around the centre with a centrepiece, all new scenery around the outside and on poles as well. Added flags, too. Sign over the back wall and doghouse ladded added, too. No IHC base, just the top cut out and glued underneath to hold the centre in place.

UserPostedImage

Octopus - did not use IHC base, painted different, added a second set of tubs to each sweep to make it a 16-tub ride. Added a centrepiece, bally over the mudsills, puff paint lights on the top and bottom of the the sweeps, and painted if differently.

UserPostedImage

Swinger #1 - my second IHC Swinger model I have had, originally was red and yellow, then teal and purple, now white and orange. Did not use the IHC base, added the spreaders in between the sweeps, Plastruct flourescent rods for lights, and a bally covering part of the trailer.

UserPostedImage

Swinger #2 - my third, just completed. Went back to the red and yellow theme, did not use the IHC base. Added spreader bars in between the sweeps, and puff paint lights on the sweeps and towers.

UserPostedImage

Heart Flip - took almost ten years to complete, hardest part was making the hearts. Used the Swinger tower (cut down) and trailer and sweeps and seats, added a cover on the trailer, decorations on the ends of the sweeps, scenery on the hearts, a sign, spreader bars in between the sweeps, and puff paint lights on the sweeps. Decals on the trailer as well. One of my favourites. The model was originally based loosely on the Heart Flip that Playworld Amusements moved for years here in Michigan, but after it sat for about nine years or so I kept the colours but added the different scenery and the decorations.

UserPostedImage

Super Star - combined two IHC kits into one, the Break Dancer and the Tornado. I used the Tornado base and lifting mechanism, the Break Dancer platform, tubs, and centre. Added a doghouse and sign on the back, Faller fence all the way around, and scenery from stickers and printed photos cut to size. Sign is a photo (back and on the doghouse). Very cool looking piece, IMHO.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Ferris Wheel - just took a Sky Wheel wheel, cut off the Sky Wheel rim rails and added stryene pieces, Plastruct flourescent rods for lights, Sky Wheel kit seats, scratch built tower, all mounted on a store-bought flatbed traler. Flags added as well as some Presier fence. Slightly larger than a kiddie wheel, more of a family wheel.

UserPostedImage

Flash Dance - IHC Megadancer, new backwall and scenery all around, Faller fence, added a doghouse, used printed light panels for the look of turbo lights, added some flags and a sign on the back and in the centre replacing the centre with the kit. New lollipop signs, too.

UserPostedImage

Aftershock - three kits combined, the IHC Spider, RAH Monster conversion, and the Vollmer Roundabout (base and dog house). Cut off the ends of the IHC Spider and glued on the RAH conversion, painted it, added the painted tubs, glued the centre to the base, added a backwall with sign and flags, and IHC fence around the perimiter. Turbo light panels (printed) on the sweeps. Just a glue cap for the centrepiece. Painted similar to the Eyerly Monster found at Dorney Park in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

UserPostedImage

Hampton Motorcycles - IHC Hampton top, centre, sweeps, track, and motorcycles, mounted on a painted used CD-R base. Different paint, decals on the top, Plastruct flourescent rods for the lights, bally around the base.

UserPostedImage

Hampton Boats - same as above on the Motorcycles, but puff paint lights instead of the rods.

UserPostedImage

Hampton Hot Rods - IHC Hampton top, centre, and sweeps used, cars from a dollar store, all mounted to a painted used CD-R base. Bally added around the base.

UserPostedImage

Flying Saucers - an example of extra pieces from IHC kits put to use. Tornado tubs, mounted on a gear that was cut down, mounted on a centre piece, with a sign added, the whole shot mounted on a scratch built trailer with a Plastruct diamond deck platform for loading and a bally around the trailer. Puff paint lights added to the sweeps for decoration.

UserPostedImage

Flying Airplanes - same as Frangipani Stunt Pilots, IHC Octopus sweeps and centre mounted on a painted used CD-R base. Airplanes came in a package from a discount store somewhere years ago.

UserPostedImage

🅱Justin's JLJ Midways[/b/]

This is all what I personally did with these IHC models.

Eagle 16 Wheel #1 - took a wheel that was in disrepair, scratch built a trailer and tower with stairs, light poles and fence. Repainted the tubs and wheel. Added Plastruct flourescent tubes for lights. Added cable around the wheel and on the trailer, and a bally around the trailer. Finally added a sign to each tower and decal in front. Puff paint lights on the ends of the sweeps as well.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Eagle 16 Wheel #2 - same as above, except no rods for lights and no signs on the towers.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Vortex - IHC Megadancer rethemed. Was in some what disrepair. Put a new backwall and sign on it, new lollipop signs, repainted the sweeps and tubs, added a doghouse. Had some flags on it but Justin removed them, he also added the centrepiece you see. Added scenery to the centre as well.

UserPostedImage

After Justin fixed it the way he wanted it. Still looks cool.

UserPostedImage

Black Widow - IHC Spider rethemed. Took a plain looking Spider at Justin's request, repainted it in gloss black, repainted the tubs from green to red, added a bally over the mudsills, IHC base not used, puff paint lights on the sweeps, and a nice centrepice added.

UserPostedImage

I have used IHC parts on other models as well, such as ThunderBolt tubs on kiddie ThunderBolt, Mini-Himalaya and four different dark rides; Octopus/Spider tubs on a Scooter and Kiddie Bumper Cars; Merry-Go-Round horses on scratch built smaller 2-abreast Merry-Go-Rounds; Motorcycles on a smaller non-Hampton style kiddie ride. Sky Wheel/Ferris Wheel seats on a couple of scratch built Sizzlers; Swinger seats on various kid rides; IHC fence all over the lot, lol. That's what I mean, IHC kits are so easy to kitbash and use parts for lots of different models, you are only limited by your own imagination and creativity.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Monday, January 14, 2008 12:09:43 PM
And finally a look at what Justin himself has done with his IHC models to modify them (some more than others) and make them look more realistic, or in the case of one, make a whole new ride.

JLJ Midways

Sky Wheel (RAH trailers)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Alpine Bobs

UserPostedImage

Sea Dragon

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Swinger

UserPostedImage

Falling Star

UserPostedImage

Twister (IHC Breakdancer)

UserPostedImage

Big Kahuna - combination of IHC Tornado base and lifting mechanism, Spider/Octopus tubs, and Swinger sweeps and fence.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Hopper - Octopus sweeps and centre, Sky Wheel/Ferris Wheel tubs, nice centrepice. See what imagination can do? Nice.

UserPostedImage

Hampton Boats

UserPostedImage

Hampton Motorcycles

UserPostedImage

King Swinger - again with unused pieces similar to my Flying Saucers ride. Octopus/Spider tubs, gear cut down for sweeps, mounted on a scratch built base.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

BeauceCarnavalMan
Monday, January 14, 2008 12:09:48 PM
let me know if you ever plan on selling any of these models let me know 1st I will buy some of them off of you.
BeauceCarnavalMan
chuck walls
Monday, January 14, 2008 2:50:13 PM
that is some really nice rides, the colors are absolutely beautiful, really nice work.
chuck walls
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:53:57 AM
Thanks. Beauce, I don't think I will be selling any of these models. lol I use these a lot (well, the only two I don't use that much are the two Airplane rides, but I do use them occassionally).
skywheel88
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:06:35 AM
Warren, Chris & Justin, those are ALL fantastic modifications! The one ride you made (Chris) that totally blew my mind that wasn't included among these was yours and Justin's SIZZLERs, those are amazing! Anyways, great work, modelers can learn alot from this topic alone.[:D][:D][:D]

P.S. Warren, that Merry-go-Round is supreme! I would have never thought of doing that! Just awesome...[:D]
Kenny.

BeauceCarnavalMan
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:59:30 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Thanks. Beauce, I don't think I will be selling any of these models. lol I use these a lot (well, the only two I don't use that much are the two Airplane rides, but I do use them occassionally).

well if you plan on selling any of your models let me know i would be happy to make a deal with you.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Ridee-O
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:33:44 PM
[8D]Thanks, glad you all like the models. The RAH top on the MGR makes a big difference. Nice work Justin & Chris
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:38:48 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BeauceCarnavalMan

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

well if you plan on selling any of your models let me know i would be happy to make a deal with you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e...em&item=300191087874 
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:41:56 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ridee-O

[8D]Thanks, glad you all like the models. The RAH top on the MGR makes a big difference. Nice work Justin & Chris

Thanks Warren. I agree on the RAH top, I had ordered an HO-scale one from Ron, and he mistakenly sent that one and a 1/4" scale one. Ironically, the 1/4" one is the one I used on the Frangipani (blue/pink) Merry-Go-Round, just had to trim it down a bit, and it looks great. I used the HO-scale one on a smaller Merry-Go-Round I scratch built and it looks great there. Ron claimed the HO-scale one would fit the IHC Merry-Go-Round, but even right out of the bag I could see it was woefully small for that model. Glad he sent the 1/4" one too. lol