flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, November 19, 2007 7:24:59 AM
I have given serious thought to building a true scale model of an Eli 5 GM wheel. I had planned on making it out of aluminum with a scale of 1/10, roughly 4' tall. Would that be an exceptable scale? Also would would be acceptable?
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:44:07 AM
Wow, four foot, that would be very large for a model. Modeling is such a hobby that you can build in whatever scale/size you wish, it is up to you, it is YOUR model. All you have to remember is that if you wish to add it to a display with other models, in order for it to fit in, they all must be the same scale, for the most part. If you have the room for the finished model, go for it, it sounds great.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Trucker090
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:29:24 PM
[8)] What happened to the windmills?? Too many splinters lol. [8)]
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
Benjibear
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:55:35 PM
I agree with sky. Make it whatever size you want and whatever size you have room for. Remeber modeling is addictive and after you have one, you may want to expand. If it is too big you may not have room for others.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
jimb
  •  jimb
  • 52.34% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:25:31 PM
flamo you like to work with wood, why don't you build a ferris wheel
planter for your wife to put in your yard?
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:36:24 PM
If I had the tooling I'd rather work with steel but it's all a form of fabrication.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:52:50 PM
I built a 63" ferris wheel planter in the yard using two metal cable reel frames I found dumped at a construction site. Hung six 18" flower boxes on it for "seats".

here's a picture:
http://home-and-garden.w...060701600049081038BuUQAa 
Skywheelrider
Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:00:06 PM
The Branch County Fair here in Michigan has a large metal "ferris wheel" sitting outside the fair office, and it rotates around, and has flower boxes for "seats" as well. Very cool looking, I'll find a photo and post it.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Monday, November 26, 2007 10:30:30 AM
Here is the photo I mentioned above of the "ferris wheel" that sits in front of the fair office in Coldwater, Michigan. I think they bring it out every year just for the fair. Notice the rope lights around the rim. Looks cool, and is electric powered.

UserPostedImage

jimb
  •  jimb
  • 52.34% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:16:04 PM
Thanks Cris;
That is cool, would be nice in the yard at christmas time.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:20:42 PM
Here's a picture of a Ferris heel built from a piece of farm machinery at the Delaware Co. Fair in Walton, NY 2007.

http://home-and-garden.w...053250780049081038xhitLD