Skywheelrider
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:02:16 PM
Rhino you are absolutely correct, I saw the Swings with third unit 95% of the time over the years. Last time I saw it, it was in Livonia, Michigan at the Free Fair at Schoolcraft College, June 1997, with first unit.

Looking at the second links Kenny provided, I came across this great photo. What a great shot! [:D]

http://home-and-garden.w...237669955047875071UEzrfO 

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:40:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Rhino you are absolutely correct, I saw the Swings with third unit 95% of the time over the years. Last time I saw it, it was in Livonia, Michigan at the Free Fair at Schoolcraft College, June 1997, with first unit.

Looking at the second links Kenny provided, I came across this great photo. What a great shot! [:D]

http://home-and-garden.w...237669955047875071UEzrfO 

that is an awesome shot. The good ole days.
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:02:54 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg

Rod Link's Swing had the inflatable dome top on it. It was yellow & green striped. The sweeps & tower were yellow & the seats white. I drew it on a lot layout I did when I was 12 & that is the only picture I have, I wish there were some good pictures of Link Shows somewhere.

I remember patching that top one year in my shop, looked like a giant striped Hershey's kiss.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:34:13 PM
Was Wade's & Link's the same one?
My albums are all on Facebook!
Skywheelrider
Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:58:20 PM
Quote:

quote:

Was Wade's & Link's the same one?

Not from what I was told.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
circusguy
Friday, November 16, 2007 4:07:18 PM
Chris
The Mulligan Swing, that was on the Wade Shows, belonged to Clara Lee Ingalls( whom I was married too at one time). She sold it to John Arnold in 1990. I hear it is for sale again.
Skywheelrider
Friday, November 16, 2007 5:52:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by circusguy

Chris
The Mulligan Swing, that was on the Wade Shows, belonged to Clara Lee Ingalls( whom I was married too at one time). She sold it to John Arnold in 1990. I hear it is for sale again.

Thanks Jim, that's right, Jon told Justin and I about it a couple of years ago. Could not remember the name though. For sale, eh? That particular one is another ride that seems to have been around forever! LOL I can only recall three themes to it, the original green and white, a wind surfing theme, and the current Twister theme, I have photos of it all three ways.
CrAzY DaNcE Dj
Friday, November 16, 2007 9:53:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by circusguy

Chris

Thanks Jim, that's right, Jon told Justin and I about it a couple of years ago. Could not remember the name though. For sale, eh? That particular one is another ride that seems to have been around forever! LOL I can only recall three themes to it, the original green and white, a wind surfing theme, and the current Twister theme, I have photos of it all three ways.

No he bought it before me, I wanna say around 86. There was another paint job in between the surf and twister it was sponged all different colors and $60,000 its yours
CrAzY DaNcE Dj
Friday, November 16, 2007 10:02:13 PM
Quote:

quote:

That is a Mulligan Swings, that photo is Wade Shows from sometime in the late 1970's or very early 1980's. Reason I say that is the white seats on the Sky Wheel--Frank had them painted in colours in 1983. Oh, and notice the first photo is backwards? LOL

Anyways, Wade Shows carried the ride up until the late 1990's, the last time I recall seeing it was 1997, they were themed as the Love Swings. For years (basically most of the 1980's into the early 1990's) it was painted yellow and orange and called the Super Swings. Last I knew Midwest Midways had the ride (and had repainted it). As for what appears to be a top on it, I never saw it with a top myself. Okay, so does that adequately answer your question? LOL [^]

Better photo of it, taken back in 1994 in Westland, Michigan. It was still being set up almost every week then.

UserPostedImage

And one more shot, from the same spot, same year, taken from the top of the Eagle 16 Wheel, you can see it was not an overly big swings ride. Not a whole lot to it, actually. Pretty basic, flourescent lights on the sweeps, some incandescents around the top scenery. One trailer. And no "top." LOL

UserPostedImage

my dad said that the swing was origonally a mulligan space shuttle but was converted to a swing. There was a guy I dont remember his name maybe Jimmy does that worked for W.G. Wade that converted it.

Also if any one gets the carnival mag, in the August 07 issue there is a picture of a european built space shuttle called Apollo 10 in the do you remember section.
Jackpotter
Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:41:44 AM
There is one of these very pieces sitting at the Larue County Fairgrounds in Hodgenville, KY rusting away. I took cell pics and sent to cny chris a couple of months back. It's racked...we were thinking it was a Quasar until I spoke with Pete from the board (whose show plays this fair now) and he told me it was an old Mulligan swing ride that was tied into the Harpers. Next time I'm going to be by there I'll take my real camera and get pics for you guys of it.
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:14:47 AM
How hard is this ride to move? It seems like it would be a really good piece for a small show in need of a swing ride. It looks impressive, anyway.
Jackpotter
Saturday, November 17, 2007 5:54:33 AM
Quote:

quote:

How hard is this ride to move? It seems like it would be a really good piece for a small show in need of a swing ride. It looks impressive, anyway.

Looks like it has a pretty good sized footprint too so it would help take up space on a small show....but it's obviously more labor intensive than a Swinger and similar pieces...and to riders, swings are swings are swings...just like wheels are wheels and carousels a re carousels...
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 17, 2007 7:43:59 AM
I'm thinking its about a 50 foot circle...Its kind of like the old saying "Flash is Cash" the top scenery & deck don't really change the ride but they add flash. Although I really like the Swinger, unless the top sign is removed, then its just another Chair-O-Plane.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:15:01 PM
Wow, I forgot about the multi-coloured paint job on Arnold's Mulligan Swings. Imagine that, me forgetting something as recent as that. LOL

Anyways, just for the heck of it, here are photos of all four scenes on Arnold's Mulligan Swings, the first from 1991 (this is the theme it had when it was with Wade Shows as well), then 1997 (wind surfing), 1999 and 2001 (colours), and a couple from 2003 (Twister, the theme it still had in 2006, last time I saw it).

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And this is the one Dreamland Amusements owns, they had it booked with Wade Shows at the Delaware State Fair in 2006:

UserPostedImage

I like the green and white myself.

Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:55:37 PM
How much of a difference is there between the Super Swing Mulligan built (in Chris' pictures) & the Love Swing....Which is harder to move, has more seats, gives a better ride?