DiverDriver
Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:45:23 AM
Tired fair....tired carnival.
Missin it
Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:22:01 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by DiverDriver

Tired fair....tired carnival. Crowds extremely sparse...$6 to get in (not worth it); midway had large holes especially along the games..junk/trinket tents dotted throughout the carnival midway; Coleman Brothers looked OK, certainly not what they used to be: Zipper was sharp, Ring of Fire had some new paint; Gravitron looked like it was ready for the scrap yard as well as the Yo-YO. Thunderbolt was back with some new paint, but sign was not up and many of the flash panels were missing. Fair president and his kronies are still ignorant to the fact that there needs to be some huge changes made in order for this thing to survive. The week prior in Lowville, was the exact same fair (a little over 20 minutes away), with Coleman Brothers, etc. Their gate is free and they had an enormous week. They had an up & coming country star on the grandstand... At Boonville last night was the Craig Wilkins Band, who are nothing more than a glorified lounge act paying tribute to Johhny Cash, followed by Tommy Cash, Johnny's brother. Tommy Cash's band wasn't bad, but there were about 150 people in track/grandstand area (average age was @75...I'm sure they all went out and rode rides etc. afterward. A VERY poor crowd for a Saturday night. The beer garden on the other side of the grounds had a local band in there, and the place was packed (500+ people). All in all, a forgettable fair as far as I'm concerned and I have been going to this thing for over 30 years. There is so much competition with other more attractive events, and plus the gas issue doesn't help any. The people who think they are important in this fair need to wake up, or it will be gone. By the way, Coleman leaves Boonville tomorrow for a mall date 25 miles down the rode in Oneida County. That equates to $0.

glad you had a good time[;)]
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
DiverDriver
Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:48:13 PM
knasinnh
Monday, July 30, 2007 4:22:40 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Missin it

Quote:

quote:

Tired fair....tired carnival. Crowds extremely sparse...$6 to get in (not worth it); midway had large holes especially along the games..junk/trinket tents dotted throughout the carnival midway; Coleman Brothers looked OK, certainly not what they used to be: Zipper was sharp, Ring of Fire had some new paint; Gravitron looked like it was ready for the scrap yard as well as the Yo-YO. Thunderbolt was back with some new paint, but sign was not up and many of the flash panels were missing. Fair president and his kronies are still ignorant to the fact that there needs to be some huge changes made in order for this thing to survive. The week prior in Lowville, was the exact same fair (a little over 20 minutes away), with Coleman Brothers, etc. Their gate is free and they had an enormous week. They had an up & coming country star on the grandstand... At Boonville last night was the Craig Wilkins Band, who are nothing more than a glorified lounge act paying tribute to Johhny Cash, followed by Tommy Cash, Johnny's brother. Tommy Cash's band wasn't bad, but there were about 150 people in track/grandstand area (average age was @75...I'm sure they all went out and rode rides etc. afterward. A VERY poor crowd for a Saturday night. The beer garden on the other side of the grounds had a local band in there, and the place was packed (500+ people). All in all, a forgettable fair as far as I'm concerned and I have been going to this thing for over 30 years. There is so much competition with other more attractive events, and plus the gas issue doesn't help any. The people who think they are important in this fair need to wake up, or it will be gone. By the way, Coleman leaves Boonville tomorrow for a mall date 25 miles down the rode in Oneida County. That equates to $0.

glad you had a good time[;)]

cny_chris
Monday, July 30, 2007 3:20:39 PM
Final attendance, 51,855. See the article:

http://romesentinel.com/...0070730/NEWS02/107300074 

Published: July 30, 2007

51,855 attended Boonville Fair

BOONVILLE — The 119th edition of the Boonville-Oneida County Fair tallied up a total attendance count of 51,855 for the week, according to Dianne Hendrickson, fair office secretary.
Attendance was up 1,423 from last year’s rain-soaked festival. Although posting better numbers this year, fair directors fell short of their goal of 54,000.

Fair attendance for the past five years:
•2002: 56,350
•2003: 52,406
•2004: 50,905
•2005: 56,255
•2006: 50,432

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
FrankiesFoods
Monday, July 30, 2007 3:42:28 PM
I am not trying to fight eli but can you put a better midway up than the Colemans do? If it is possible for you, Put in a bid for the contract. It is a shame that you feel tired carnival and tired fair. I was in booneville and it looked great, Loweville as well.
Life is like a Merry go round has it's ups and downs but always come back around.
Skywheelrider
Monday, July 30, 2007 8:33:46 PM
Quote:

quote:

Kinda useless to edit your post after it's been quoted twice by others. [;)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:18:04 AM
Wasnt there another guy that used to do that here? hehe....
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:27:43 AM
is this the same person who was slamming coleman last year?
knasinnh
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:04:17 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by britt

is this the same person who was slamming coleman last year?

Bingo! [:D]
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:10:49 AM
Quote:

quote:

This guy has an ax to grind with CBS, so this is exactly what I come to expect from him. However, I have to agree with him that the fair is somewhat stagnate. The reason is as stated elsewhere in this thread. Lowville is a free gate and a more lively fair 20 minutes away. Until this year I had played both for the last 7 years and had planned to again. However, I haven't made much money in Boonville for a few years. Also, the expense of getting way up there was getting more and more expensive. So, when I got a chance to get in a good NJ fair that was limited to 18 games, I jumped. I called Anthony but couldn't get through and left a message that I couldn't make Lowville and Boonville. I had mixed feelings because Coleman is my favorite show and I'm always happy to see those good people.

Boonville has to recognize why the fair is not the gem it once was and take measures to come into the 21st century. There's nothing wrong with CBS, in fact the fair should know their lucky to get a show as good as them. Maybe they should go look at Lowville and see how to run a successful fair.
Sixcats have nine lives
Benjibear
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:55:31 AM
Many fairs get into a rut and they don't want to make changes. I was never to this fair but I bet the entire fair board is old. They probably need some younger blood to make the fair strive again. I have seen this at many spots that the people running the spot, run it like they did 20, 30, or 40 years ago and they just sit wondering why their fair is going downhill instead of doing anything about it.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:50:53 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Many fairs get into a rut and they don't want to make changes. I was never to this fair but I bet the entire fair board is old. They probably need some younger blood to make the fair strive again. I have seen this at many spots that the people running the spot, run it like they did 20, 30, or 40 years ago and they just sit wondering why their fair is going downhill instead of doing anything about it.

That is happening all over. same exhibits in same place each year. same entertainment, no improvements to the grounds, no changing anywhere. gotta revamp things as each year passes by or at least have some long term improvement plan. then the committees wonder why the carnival does not bring in new pieces. if the fair is not updating then why should the carnival. when you hear fair managers say MY FAIR instead of OUR FAIR where there is lots of involvement, things will not change much.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:51:27 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Your right about that.....Everytime I ran into a committee guy that said they ran this spot for 20 years I tell them I do this atleast 20 times this year....and don't live in a vaccuum and see whatelse is out there....
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:40:51 PM
We have the same problem where i live. But most people dont know what other rides and entertainment is out there. As long as its got a light on it and its a ride. They call it a fair,Alot of times with the American legion the same guys may be on the fair comm. for 30 or more years,They dont even get out and go to other fairs or state meetings to see what could make their fair better.