skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:14:50 PM
Would it catch on? The idea is, put over the shoulder restraints on the Rainbow gondola instead of just the lap bars that are on most of them right now. The gondola could still pivot just like the old Huss Rainbows do, only the new ones would have it fixed on the lower boom to where the gondola can flip upside down anywhere, but not so fast like a Zipper cage does, about the speed that the Inverter's gondola flips upside down. The operator could choose when to flip the Rainbow's gondola....on the side, bottom, or top. Some might question, yes, but there isn't any clearance once the gondola reaches the bottom. They would have to make the gondola height sit higher up in the air so when flipping / rolling upside down, it would clear the ground below, just the opposite of the old Huss Rainbows where they sit near / not too far from the ground below when loading and when it's moving, how it swoops the ground.

So, who here would ride it? I definately would, it'd be a new thrill to the Huss Rainbow, and i know Huss, with the geniuses they have working at that plant in Germany where they make their stuff, they would have the potential to do it. Or, would that be stealing Chance's idea for the Inverter, but, not really, as the gondola would be able to flip upside down anywhere AND pivot around like the old version of the Huss Rainbows do right now. Like for instance, the operator could have it going full throttle...the gondola goes over the top, then runs like the old ones do, then once coming to a stop, the other "new" version of the Rainbow takes over, and the gondola starts flipping upside down at the bottom gradually working its way to the top, or the operator could leave the booms in one direction, where the gondola is on the left or right side or diagonal, flipping upside down about the same speed the Inverter's gondola flips upside down.

Question is, would this new Huss Rainbow catch on at major state fairs and county fairs?, or would it be a bore to some that are looking for faster stuff?..like a Zamperla Force & KMG FireBall which almost goes upside down, but carries more G's. If Huss got the idea for an upside down Huss Rainbow, that'd be awesome, would definately ride it indeed, as good as i love to go upside down. [:o)] What do you all think about that idea?, it's just a thought i had, figured it'd be pretty cool. It would be the same scenery as the Huss Rainbows that are out there now in parks and at carnivals, the gondola would look the same, sunshine face in middle, and Rainbow cloud, or Huss Rides could make the cloud, but put " Rainbow 2 " , with a little number 2 after the w in Rainbow. I think thrillseekers would ride this alot...but the old versions might disappear which would be sad. [V]

To get the gears set up just right in the lower boom down there, for the gondola to pivot around like the current Rainbows do, and to flip the gondola, that would take some doings indeed, but Huss has made some great rides in the past, such as the Top Spin, look at it, it's massive, it makes a Flip N Out look like a kiddie ride. lol And yet works wonderfully, although there's alot of maintenance and such to keep it working great like the one on Strates Shows, and i know of a few park Top Spins, Compounce Park has one i believe...Myrtle Beach Pavilion had one, but sadly it's gone, the park closed, they took it down, and it's in the warehouse with the rest of the rides stored down there....hopefully they save the Top Spin for the new Hard Rock Park or put it at Broadway at the Beach later.

~Ben
Larry Smith
Monday, July 23, 2007 2:46:16 AM
I made a comment like that about 2 years ago one here that is the direction that peticular ride has to go in order to stay fresh. The full tilt is a step in the right direction. My thoughts are kind of like a Rainbow/Drop Tower type of effect that at the top the gondola flips 180 and then starts its drop which would give a whole new meaning to "Drop Tower"......lol Nothing like looking upside down and watching the ground come at you at 10-12 RPMs. They would have to do major modifications to make this thing happen though,so with that in mind we would be looking at a several trailer spectacular.
skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, July 23, 2007 4:08:51 PM
Oh yeah, that would be cool too, make it more of a true free fall ride. I think that's what Huss was shooting for back in the 80's when it was made, when it goes over the top, it gives the sensation of weightlessness. The freefall towers of today like Mega Drop for instance gives more of a sensation of sky diving than any other ride on the fairgrounds...to me it does anyway. I remember telling you all i won't ride the freefall rides again because of what happened to that girl, well, MegaDrop is made by a different company and i feel 100% safe on it, so i'm looking forwards to riding it again at this year's NC State Fair. [8)] As for a flipping Huss Rainbow, i just wonder what the folks at Huss would say about it, hmm, makes you wonder.

~Ben
condoralex
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:33:50 AM
引用:

quote:

As for a flipping Huss Rainbow, i just wonder what the folks at Huss would say about it, hmm, makes you wonder.

~Ben

Huss would most likely say "no" and "way". They don't want to change the formula of their classic rides. Wouldn't hurt to try the proposal though; great team, best in the biz. A while ago I inquired about having a Condor with Fly Away cars. (Fly Away cars are very similar to Kite Flyer cars, you lay down flat facing forward to simulate flying during the cycle) The response, although sounding a bit interested, said it wouldn't be possible. But, I wasn't really expecting anything different. Like they say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Sit back, relax, because we're taking it to the max.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:14:32 AM
引用:

quote:

Originally posted by RainbowBen

Oh yeah, that would be cool too, make it more of a true free fall ride. I think that's what Huss was shooting for back in the 80's when it was made, when it goes over the top, it gives the sensation of weightlessness. The freefall towers of today like Mega Drop for instance gives more of a sensation of sky diving than any other ride on the fairgrounds...to me it does anyway. I remember telling you all i won't ride the freefall rides again because of what happened to that girl, well, MegaDrop is made by a different company and i feel 100% safe on it, so i'm looking forwards to riding it again at this year's NC State Fair. [8)] As for a flipping Huss Rainbow, i just wonder what the folks at Huss would say about it, hmm, makes you wonder.

~Ben

The last I heard it was somewhat of a fluke for that to happen but no doubt there have been notifications sent out on how to prevent it from happening again. As with all machinery there is always the chance of an incident no matter what precautions are taken. It is the rule of physics and the random chance you take no matterhow great the odds are against it.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked