cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, May 4, 2007 1:37:13 PM
Since so many folks here use this service to host their carnival photos, I'm posting this in the main forum. Sadly, the free ride is over for the most part. Official information is here:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/photos/photos2/closing/ 

They are allowing you to transfer your photos to "partner" sites, whose terms and conditions are different than theirs. Some of the details of the other services that you can transfer your photos to:

Flickr - Free account allows you to only see the 200 most recent photos you have uploaded, and allows you to only upload 100 MB per month. A Pro account ($24.95 per year) removes the limits.

Kodak - Free account gives you 12 months of unlimited storage from your first upload date. To keep your account free, you have to make a purchase through their service at least once every 12 months. You are not allowed to publically post links to your photos with this service. A Premier Account ($2.49 per month) removes the restriction on publically posted links to your photos.

Shutterfly - Free unlimited storage, but no direct linking to images.

Snapfish - Free unlimited storage, but you have to make at least one purchase with them per year.

Photobucket - Free account gives you 1 GB of storage, and a monthly 10 GB Bandwidth limit. Pro account ($25 per year) has a 5 GB storage limit, and no bandwidth limits.

It appears that they are looking to boost revenue, as are their transfer partners. Flickr Pro appears to be the best option at present for unlimited usage, IMHO, as long as you don't mind paying the yearly fee.

For those considering going to Webshots, their free account allows you to store 1000 photos + an additional 100 photos per month of membership. A Premium account ($2.49 per month, billed annually) allows 5000 photos + an additional 500 photos per month of membership.

Anyone have any other alternatives that are worthy of consideration?
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Friday, May 4, 2007 2:09:02 PM
One other service that I've been referred to is Picasa Web Albums (by Google), which has a 1GB storage limit at present.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Skywheelrider
Friday, May 4, 2007 2:11:21 PM
Well, looks like I will not have to worry about making my photos public again, they will just be gone forever from the internet. I refuse to pay just to upload some photos for folks to look at. I did pay with Webshots, and what a mistake that was. I will never use Webshots again, and I do not like Flickr either, so no pics there either. Don't know much about the other services. Guess my pics from now on will be just for my enjoyment only (except for the ones I send to Matt for the gallery on Wade's website). Oh well.

And for the record, I will not miss the new version of Yahoo! Photos at all, it is not user friendly to me, too many obstacles to put photos in a certain order, uploading is a pain (for various reasons), all I can say is good riddance. The only good thing is it is still free (for now). Seems like having photos online anymore is more of a pain in the rear than an enjoyment.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Trucker090
Friday, May 4, 2007 2:31:12 PM
When is Yahoo! Photos closing?

Yahoo! Photos will begin the process of closing later this summer and will officially close this fall*, after you have had time to move your photos.

After we close, we will delete all photos** that have not already made the move somewhere else, so it will be important you’ve chosen from the options available – moving to another service, downloading your photos, or buying an archive CD (for users of the New Yahoo! Photos only).

* Note for users of Yahoo! Photos’ international versions: Please stay tuned for information about changes in your countries later this year. You do not need to take action at this time.

**Note for AT&T and Verizon Yahoo! Members: Your photos will not be deleted.

<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
David
  •  David
  • 52.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, May 4, 2007 3:43:32 PM
Thats dissapointing to hear that Yahoo and other sites are charging or restricting people who want to upload photos.

It seems an odd move when the video sites like Youtube has no restictions on the number of videos you can host and Veoh has no restrictions on size or length of videos you would think it would be the same for photos.
OUT NOW! Amusement Rides European Special 3: Oberhausen-Sterkrade (Germany) DVD
Trailer and information can be found on the website
http://www.amusementridesdvd.co.uk 
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, May 4, 2007 4:13:04 PM
I,m dumping flikr wnen it is up in aug.

I prefer pure web space & will continue
with my Apple .mac account. A yard note per year, 10 gigs of b'width per month.

I can host my own videos & link to separate pics.
UserPostedImage
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, May 4, 2007 4:18:59 PM
at&t will now be adding ads to the pic pages.

Time to step up and buy your own web space.
UserPostedImage
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, May 4, 2007 4:24:19 PM
oh well i may use webshots later down the line but i am not moving all my pictures. Its sad to see them go but as chris said new yahoo photos sucks!
Bob

Skywheelrider
Friday, May 4, 2007 4:51:38 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

at&t will now be adding ads to the pic pages.

Time to step up and buy your own web space.

No thanks, as I stated, I am not paying just to be able to upload photos to the internet. I have my photos on my computer and on CDR's, I can look at them anytime I want to. If someone wants to see a particular ride/game/food trailer, etc., I can upload it to Ripway and hotlink it here just as easily.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bowler Roller
Friday, May 4, 2007 5:04:32 PM
C'mon Matt, take up a collection to keep Skywheelriders pics on your site. Or maybe Wade could pony up a quarter chip a year so he can "advertise" for them here.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Hambone
  •  Hambone
  • 55.16% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, May 4, 2007 5:48:41 PM
I use inbox.com to host Playland pics, it's free. I'm not sure about limitations but they are alway encouraging me to drive traffic to the site. Checked the site 5 GB of storage, multiple uploads, direct linking.

edited to add info
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, May 5, 2007 3:13:49 AM
I am glad that I kept my Photos put when everyone else jumped over a while back!!
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, May 5, 2007 3:48:34 AM
I was thinking about what Boller Roller said and have to agree,
We as a family here all enjoy the wonderful shots that Chris takes
and now even more so that he is on the road.
All of you have to agree that Chris does have a wonderful collection that should be protected( from the likes of "R" need I say more)
and enjoyed by all of us. If matt can get money from his ad's then why as a family here can we not take up some kind of collection for space here to have Chris or any one else,for that matter to place good carnival photo's. Matt's is growing into a primo place for the industry,We could show the "outsiders" that we as a family here can do something bigger then any of the Yahoo's or Flickers or Kodak's can do.It's something to think about... I for one would be on board with this ..
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:25:29 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by powersbt

I am glad that I kept my Photos put when everyone else jumped over a while back!!

I would have stayed at Webshots, but faced with the prospect of having a dozen different accounts there to host all the photos I had at the time was the deciding factor. With some of the changes they have made, I could probably get away with only 6 or 7 accounts there now. Still far from ideal. Not to mention the "borrowing" problem.

Yahoo is now talking with Microsoft, last I heard. Both are relative has-beens when stacked up against Google. Perhaps some other changes will come around eventually as a result.

Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:36:44 AM
There is always the possibility of Matt hosting web space for albums and charging for it but would it pay for itself and produce a profit. No profit, no growth.

Would any of you pay $5-10 a month for web space? You can have your own domain for about $10 a month but they want you to pay for a yr. in advance.

Just think; charter, dues paying members of Club MCW. It don't git no better.

Cut out cigs and bubblegum and you may have the stew.
UserPostedImage