Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:29:47 PM
I don't know anything about booking agents... someone explain a lil more as Midway1962 did as to what all the agents did and what one would cost today.
Trucker090
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:34:50 PM
Besides on long still dates the ride guys get to try out the local PBQs to see if they want them for the season lol... Ask Flamo!!!
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
midway1962
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:12:24 PM
WOW that was such a good reply, you soo smart'''trucker,
FOOD AND FUN
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:16:56 PM
I see what you mean, Midway. Wade quit playing Dort and Maple after 2003, had been a show on that lot for thirty+ consecutive years I was told, but the lot itself was getting worse every year. They moved up to the Perani's Arena on 1-69 and Center Road, on the ashphalt parking lot, right next to the expressway. Pretty spectacular especially at night, since the expressway is above the parking lot, heading east you crest the hill and there is the midway laid out on your right. Will be there this July again.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:26:33 PM
The true booking agents are all but gone, A good booking agent in the old days new the competitions routes, was first n or had the X on a location and as was stated when the show pulled in eerything was in order from the permits to the fuel to trash etc. etc. etc. A few would even have other info avail machine shops doctors, dentists and so on. W even had one one time that had a coffee and donut wagon waiting he had seen it working a corner and told the guy he could work till 2 days before opening! As for costs now a days probably 2k a week plus expenses, and I do not know many that would work for that. The few I know still working get a flat rate plus a % usually 10% and sometimes a kick back from the sponsor.
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"
Hambone
  •  Hambone
  • 55.16% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:28:19 PM
Rod Link used to play a lot here (Huntsville) for 11 days tear down, take some equipment and play
Muscle Shoals, come back here put the show up and play 11 more days on the same lot.
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:53:13 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Trucker090

Besides on long still dates the ride guys get to try out the local PBQs to see if they want them for the season lol... Ask Flamo!!!

I failed to mention that for obvious reason. Because the spot is slow it gives you a chance to pick and choose. The extended time gives you the chance to see if it is worthwhile and will work out.

OK Trucker????
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
midway1962
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:26:17 PM
Rod Link could take a dirt lot, and make it a spot''' i have seen him out there with lawn mower's '''''' we should all learn'' and lest's not forget the rest, RAS, JUS, and a million more before us'' and we b****;;;
FOOD AND FUN
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:52:00 PM
How many shows have played Shopping centers then Stiff them because it was a blank???? More than a few.

JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:34:20 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

How many shows have played Shopping centers then Stiff them because it was a blank???? More than a few.

Stiff them becaues it was a blank? I know of a show that stiffed them and it was a good spot.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
Pizzagod
Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:57:31 AM
Quote:

quote:

Stiff them becaues it was a blank? I know of a show that stiffed them and it was a good spot.

Jimmy D

Oh yeah-I used to play with this guy in Minnesota-and to him it was a matter of personal pride. The excuses he would come up with for pencil whipping the committee, and they'd take it! He had a small show, and he was like their last resort, either use him or go without a carnival.

But not to wander too far off topic, I remember a couple of lots in Detroit that Frank Cook and then Dick Carl used to play. We never got rich, but usually made a few bucks.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
JustinJames
Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:35:51 AM

The Pontiac Silverdome was a cool still date for McDonagh's. Was open Friday, Saturday and Sunday the last year we played it. The weekdays were spent working on our equipment. Think of it this way... A large enough INDOOR barn to set the whole show up and get everything inventoried and lit all the way. Then run on the weekends a make a few bucks. Perfect use of a otherwise dead month for them.
ezmoney
  •  ezmoney
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:47:20 AM
for the most part the replies have been good and make sence, however, that dosent change the isue that for a concession owner or even a show owner a blank ia a blank is a blank,, and 2 or 3 weeks only adds to the hard ships. A spot can be built,,, but it takes work and money,,,,NOT a longer stay..I was on wade shows before frankie bought the show,,,,,,I havent been around that show much and for my own personal reasons dont go there except when frankie books in himself...I was on JUS back with the portamonts,,and Lamkin,,,,,back then they were true shows and show people. This is a way of life and a culture all its own,too many dont get that and what you get are a industry full of 40 milers and clerks and I just love listening to their STORIES !!!!!!!
BUB
  •  BUB
  • 52.62% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:21:05 PM
like jerry said there are fewer lots to play. remember wal mart was the answer until some jackass blew that. yeah, everyone will say 3 weeks at alot is too much and i agree .there maybe reasons though. what if the next lot fell through?etc etc. from experience it is as valuable to have a connection at still dates as committe spots. competitors can find this fair or that fair, but find those still dates is harder. protect them and don't s*** on them. they are hard as hell to find............any one know of some p.m me .....hahaah
what the ????
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:05:40 PM
I've never seen a spot that was worth more then 2 weekends and now I'm going to play a spot for 4 weekends. All the real good spots are for one week. Rhienbeck for example. I can name lots more. Blue Hill Maine, Fryburg Maine. Greenwich NY. I could go on. There's lots of big spots with 2 weekends but If they were 6 or 7 day fairs, you'd get in big and get out. I know what you're thinking, 10 or 11 day spots give you 2 weekends at the weather. They also let the office charge you twice as much nut too. Give me the good old days when all spots, still dates and fairs were one week long. That was the business then.
Sixcats have nine lives