ezmoney
  •  ezmoney
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:29:39 AM
i find it kinda silly that shows are stretching still dates , parking lots,,shopping centers,,,,malls,,,,,,etc, into 2 and 3 week spots..... like in texas,,,lowery's is playing a mall parking lot for 17 days,,,,,,,most state fairs are only 10 to 14 days long. oh what a deal,,,,priv. isnt bad but what percentage of zerro adds up to anything? how can a joint owner get or even keep help. oh well here I am in texas and need agents but when theres no people what do ya offer?
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:35:06 AM
It's cheaper than moving!!
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:36:16 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by paulmbe

It's cheaper than moving!!

isn't that the truth.
Bowler Roller
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:52:24 AM
Sometimes it's even better than laying dead.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
ezmoney
  •  ezmoney
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:09:34 AM
perhaps it is cheeper then moving,,,,but everyone has to eat and live,,,,,,the ride help still gets their pay,,,,I would think that booking and moving would increese the attendance and give the whole show a chance at more money. 10 days in a still date is too long in most cases. are there no advance people left who knows how to locate and book spots? the more people who attend and buy ride tickets,,food,etc... means more money
Predatorocks
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:32:30 AM
Last year, a carnival played 14 days at one spot. It was the dead part of the season-April. So, I don't see what's wrong with that. It's a dead time for a non-Florida, Texas, or a California state.
JustinJames
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:39:36 AM
A wise show owner once told me... your gonna make more money with the s*** in the air then if it's sitting on the trucks. I beleive him.
JustinJames
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:41:07 AM
Wade has played Mt. Clemens MI for up to 5 weekends before. 4 weeks and then a scaled down midway version for the 5th week.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:58:33 AM
The average stay at a shopping centre/mall still date here in the Detroit area has always been 14-21 days. As Justin said, Wade did play a fifth weekend in Mount Clemens (Gibraltar Trade Centre North) about four years ago, because another mall spot fell through.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
JerryGillette
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:38:47 AM
The problem with booking a show is that lots are harder and harder to find, and when you do find one, most of the time the property owner wont let you use it...
So if you find a big enough lot that you can use in a good location (on blacktop to boot), you try to stay there as long as you can...
NICEST SHOW IN THE NORTHEAST...

If you want the weather to change...Wait 5 minutes...
If you want my opinion to change...You can go F*CK yourself...
JustinJames
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:43:58 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JerryGillette

The problem with booking a show is that lots are harder and harder to find, and when you do find one, most of the time the property owner wont let you use it...
So if you find a big enough lot that you can use in a good location (on blacktop to boot), you try to stay there as long as you can...

Best answer so far.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:22:19 PM
Sometimes you got to stay 2 weeks to save up enough gas money to get to the next spot....I know one guy said he might have to split into two units...cause he only has gas money to move half the show....lol
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:39:04 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JerryGillette

There are other things to consider. Help for the most part does not like WQ. Many will blow if they lay dead or are in WQ. Payroll goes on whether the show in WQ or in a dead spot. If the show remains open the help are occupied and the cost then becomes operating expenses, mainly fuel for the generators. It also gives the time to clean, paint or what ever. It also gives the opportunity to use a scaled down unit occupping the help and with rents to offset some of the expenses. It also gives time to evaluate the help. There are advantages as opposed to cut and run.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Pizzagod
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:46:41 PM
Let's face it, it's a monster working pre-June.

Simple as pie, that's all there is to it. I'm guessing that one reason (or another reason) to stretch out the still dates is to keep the crew together (and out of the jug) so that when you go rolling into the money spots, there are enough people around to still get the stuff up and down and over the road.

I have booked some funky spots for some of my food at times, not because I am so madly in love with the idea of working, but because maybe next week was Berrien Springs or LaPorte or Las Cruces and while I might loathe paying somebody $300 or $400 for a week where I take in a couple of grand, they more than make that for me at a good spot.

I'm with Jerry when it comes to stretching it out-and I'm sure part of it is the devil you know against the devil you don't. I've played a blank or two, then gone into a total blank that made the first blank almost look good.

For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
midway1962
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:14:40 PM
In the good ole day's you had a booking agent, that did it all, yes found a lot, did the permit's and PR, well that's the good ole day's now it's hard as hell to find a good location, permit's insurance, and rent, well then you got the show owner that want's it for as little as possible, and that's the norm, but you can't belive that you can pay a person, $1000, for a spot, and it's going to work'' you get what you pay for, if you want it like it use to be, then you have to pay and keep help like it use to be'' i can tell you a few names of shows that want to pay you $350 a week an expect a state fair, '' give me a break, the spring is the spring, a gamble, and everyone know's it's also about keeping the help, now if you have the money you can buy the land, hey Rod Link use to do it, as well as other's and build, and all the Wade Fan's here, you ever played Flint, Mi, on Maple and Dort Hwy, well that's just one of many, '' and i know you have because i was there when Frank, bought the show and route, a blank is a balnk, but if you take the time ya never no, soo if you want good spot's put a little money in them and build them, it can be done, but don't b****, if you don't try'' just me, take it for what it's worth.
FOOD AND FUN