Mr. Fixit
  •  Mr. Fixit
  • 52.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman Topic Starter
Friday, March 16, 2007 4:13:04 AM
I've set the board to not allow any new posts for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience, blame Richie for it...

In the meantime, if you haven't already, read the stickied Password post, and change your password if it is one that could be easily hacked.

Thank you!
CAUTION, Administrator at work. This is a troll-free zone.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
Matt C.
Friday, March 16, 2007 6:40:51 AM
Board unlocked as of 10:30AM...

We are looking for a volunteer moderator for late evening hours who could watch over the board incase of another troll outbreak. Please contact me for details.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 16, 2007 7:27:29 AM
What a mess it was, too. He waits until after midnight when he knows the mods are offline, then he wrecks havoc. I am sure he sits back and laughs when it is all said and done. He does get frustrated when no one responds to his topics he posts, so please, do everyone a favour, just resist the temptation to respond. Let the mods take care of it. Feel free to alert the mods as I did, but don't jump in and respond to him, that's excatly what he wants, to be the centre of attention. There were quite a few folks online when he was posting his crap, and he finally posted a topic that asked why no one was responding to him, and you could see he was getting annoyed, and eventually he gave up and left. I resisted replying, even though he posted some untrue and defamatory comments about me.

So please also, check your passwords, if your password is relatively easy, change it. Make it difficult. Mine was easy, but when the troll first hacked another account, I immediately changed mine to a hard to guess password. Make it so difficult that even you have to look it up because it is hard to remember. LOL

I am sure the troll will see this, but remember, ignore him if he does this again. Don't respond to him, don't respond to PM's if they sound like they are coming from him. Don't be his next hacked account victim. Don't give him a platform to speak from. Those of you that were online and/or saw the result last night and when a couple of others had their accounts hacked, you know what I mean.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Mr. Fixit
  •  Mr. Fixit
  • 52.38% (Neutral)
Friday, March 16, 2007 9:35:23 AM
The deal is that Richie hacked into 2 accounts here in the last 24 hours, and posted a number of topics with inaccurate information and garbage. I reluctantly locked the forum completely this AM so that the cleanup could be done easily, and any lingering issues could be dealt with.

Thank you, Skywheelrider for the excellent post. Rest assured that I am personally looking into tightening account security here, and will be proposing several options to Matt that hopefully will tighten up some of the loopholes that exist.

Again, I cannot stress enough the need for your account to have a strong password. Please help the rest of us out and make sure that it is not hackable. If the troll can't get in, he can't disrupt the board. But we need the assistance of everyone to ensure that this is what happens.

Please also note that it appears that members may be assisting or encouraging/supporting the troll in his efforts to disrupt the board. Any accounts found to be involved in these activities are subject to locking and possible permanent suspension.

Thank you for your cooperation.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
WestCoastPat
Friday, March 16, 2007 10:13:40 AM
Mr. Fixit-Please do not apologize for locking the board down. I was also on last night when all the crap was going on and thought that the best solution at the time was to shut it down. I know it is a drastic step-you guys work so hard to keep it up and running for us-but a little inconvenience to us is not a big deal if it allows you the time to clean up the trash the fool posted.
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
Bowler Roller
Friday, March 16, 2007 10:28:50 AM
I sat here and watched his posts piling up 😞 . I was hoping there was a mod on at the time, but apparently not.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 16, 2007 12:43:54 PM
What an idiot. I can see what he is doing, looking for older accounts or hardly used ones. I fully expect it to happen again. Apparently he has nothing better to do than sit at a computer and try and wreck havoc here.

Is there a way the mods can look at accounts and see how much that person logs in? Maybe accounts older than a certain date with no activity need to just be locked, period. I don't know, but something has got to be done or this will be a daily/nightly occurence, since he has no job and has nothing better to do. And for anyone that helps the troll out, you're just as much a jag as he is, IMHO.

But again, when and if it happens again, IGNORE HIM AND DO NOT RESPOND TO WHATEVER HE POSTS. DON'T GIVE HIM THE SATISFACTION OF A RESPONSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD IF YOU HAVE NOT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, March 16, 2007 12:56:37 PM
Chris,

I changed mine and agree that maybe it is time for those who don't log or haven't logged on in a while have thier accounts locked at least for a while. I have a couple of other ideas I am trying to reason out.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Mr. Fixit
  •  Mr. Fixit
  • 52.38% (Neutral)
Friday, March 16, 2007 1:04:19 PM
There will be some accounts locked, ASAP. If you get locked out by accident, please send an email to Matt from the email address that your account is registered to, and we'll get you unlocked again.

I was going to do this earlier, but I had my real job to do (the one that gives me a paycheck, lol). Been checking in on my lunch and breaks to keep an eye on things. Again, apologies for the havoc on the forum today -- you know who to blame for it...

Mennayar
Friday, March 16, 2007 1:06:58 PM
ALSO, IF YOUR ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HACKED, MAKE SURE YOU ALSO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD ON YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT THAT IS REGISTERED WITH MCW, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS THE SAME PASSWORD.

Also, if he is just guessing the passwords, maybe lower the amount a person can attempt to login, usually set this under 5 attempts, with the lock out period for 10 mins or so.(Y'all probably know this already)

Skywheelrider
Friday, March 16, 2007 1:16:54 PM
That's a great idea on the number of attempts to access an account. A lot of sites that require password entry do this, and the only way you can get logged in after usually three attempts is they send you an email regarding the account. The only thing is, if the person trying to hack your account has the password for your email, then he/she can just on purpose put the wrong password just to get to that email so they can reset your password here or whatever site they are at trying to access your account.

I know for a fact the troll has tried to access my account here and at Tom *'s site, I got the "forgot password" email. I know he wants to get at that email, but he will have an awful hard time trying to guess my passwords for any site.

And that is something to think about too, if he got to your account here, and the password for your email is the same or even very similar, change it!

Idahocarnivalman
Friday, March 16, 2007 1:55:42 PM
I just changed my info so no one will hack into my account. I'll be changing my pass word on a weekly basis from now on. Yo troll if you are reading this GET A ****ING LIFE AND LEAVE US THE **CK ALONE HERE ***HOLE.

Follow me on facebook. www.facebook.com/Nascarracefan1888 
You being stupid and lazy doesn't mean I should do your work.
Bowler Roller
Friday, March 16, 2007 2:08:07 PM
^Reading posts like that is what trolls like him get off on. ^
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Mr. Fixit
  •  Mr. Fixit
  • 52.38% (Neutral)
Friday, March 16, 2007 2:49:03 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mennayar

Also, if he is just guessing the passwords, maybe lower the amount a person can attempt to login, usually set this under 5 attempts, with the lock out period for 10 mins or so.(Y'all probably know this already)

Thought about this, however Snitz does not have a setting to do it. It definitely would help if a password cracking program was used. Thanks for the suggestion.[:D]

Mr. Fixit
  •  Mr. Fixit
  • 52.38% (Neutral)
Friday, March 16, 2007 2:56:46 PM
As a followup to my post above about locking out some accounts, I have locked and/or deleted approximately 550 accounts. While none of these lockouts/deletions should affect any currently active members, if you have an account here, and cannot get in with your username and password, please email Matt from the email address that your account is registered to, and include your username in the email. We'll look into it for you, and let you know if we can unlock your account, or if you need to re-register for a new one. Please note that most of the accounts that were deleted had no posts made with the account and have not been active for awhile. Sorry for any inconvenience, however we're trying to close up some holes.

And as I've mentioned before, if you can get into your account here, please change any passwords that may be weak. This will help immensely in keeping your account from getting hacked. Thank you!