Predatorocks
Friday, March 9, 2007 6:40:37 AM
Let's say that you are at a 4 day event. What do you do the whole week starting after teardown? Do you get off any days? Is everyone driving the trucks to the next stop on Monday or is just the boss? I understand that Tuesday is usually put them up day. I don't know the name for it.

I'm not talking about a big huge fair like the Wisconsin State Fair. If the carnival opens at 6:00 pm on a Thursday, what do you do before it opens. Do you get any off time? When does your job start? The same thing goes for a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Of course, Saturdays, and Sundays you open later.

Thanks for the comments!
punkboysa18
Friday, March 9, 2007 7:07:43 AM
LOL. Teardown Sunday, drive Monday. Setup Tues. Wash Wed. Open Thurs.
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 9, 2007 7:28:10 AM
Depends on how much time you have between spots. If you have four days to tearsdown and set up, you'll take four days. If you have two days, you'll take two. If you have ten, you'll take ten. LOL

Seriously, we usually teardown after close on Sunday, start moving equipment out as soon as it is torn down, drive on Monday, and sometimes start setting up, set up on Tuesday, finish setting up on Wednesday, wash rides, get ticket boxes on location and cleaned, make sure all rides and ticket boxes have proper signage, on Thursday finish up whatever did not get finished on Wednesday, the open around 4 or 5pm.

Working in the office, we can usually take Monday to travel to the next spot, make sure one of us has money to give draws, and then on Tuesday start setting up the office. Depending on how far it is to the next spot, sometimes Monday can be kinda of a "free day," where we can get some laundry done, some grocery shopping done, etc.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
indianacarnie
Friday, March 9, 2007 7:36:58 AM
the above answers about say it all!
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Bowler Roller
Friday, March 9, 2007 9:10:29 AM
It depends on who you work for. Skywheel rider is correct, the amount of time it takes to set up is directly proportionate to how much time they have.

Generally, a person has to be at his ride or joint 30-60 minutes before opening. Some owners make their do busy work all day to keep them on the lot, others don't.

Mechanics and electricians seem to always have plenty to do.

Usually, the "hurry up and wait" game takes up all our free time before set up.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
JustinJames
Friday, March 9, 2007 9:56:32 AM
Jack Honeycutt used to laugh and say...

"If they have four damn days to set that Gravitron up, they'll take four day LOL"
njfrank
Friday, March 9, 2007 12:29:52 PM
WE RUN MON-SAT TEARDOWN SAT NIGHT MOVE THE SHOW SAT NIGHT AND SETUP ON SUNDAY JUST ABOUT EVERY WEEKEND.
njfrank
Friday, March 9, 2007 12:31:51 PM
sorry i didnt read the whole topic.
midway1962
Friday, March 9, 2007 5:31:17 PM
Hey Justin, i didn't no that you knew Jack Honeycut, i was around him for years on Link shows, a very good man, and lot's of jackpot's''
FOOD AND FUN
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:03:51 AM
I actually feel better knowing we aren't the only ones whose Mondays are wasted with the "hurry up & wait" game. We have moved on Sunday & opened on Monday as well as opening on Thursday & taking 4 days for set-up. Everyone is absolutely correct--the longer you have the longer it takes..[:D]
My albums are all on Facebook!
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:49:15 AM
That is an all depends on the situation including the shown, help, proximity to WQ and where you are going to play, the sponser. Bigger shows mean longer hours as a rule, smaller shows less hours and more days between jumps. The term 40 miler means just that, you sleep inyour own bed at home almost every night. Worked out great for me with 3 school aged kids. Because I did the ride maintenance and electrical work when I was on the road I about the only time I got to rest was when the show was open. Again, it depends.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
showpeople
Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:15:03 AM
I was fortunate to have a partner in our concession business and he and I would both take a day off. Since we were traveling all over the USA, I would use my day to enjoy the unbelieveable Museums and Historical attractions in the area that we were playing. And of course, lets not ignore that we all have to scout out the local laundry and super markets on one of the days. The Wife generally took care of that but once in a while it fell to one of the partners.

When we played around NYC, I would always take the time to take in a couple of Broadway shows and since this was before satellite tv, we would do a family movie once a week also.

Life in the Carnival biz and on the road can be great or it can be a living hell. It is what you make of it. If you are afraid to leave the lot, well, then you missing the whole idea of the travelin' life.
"Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see with your own eyes"
http://www.travelingcarnivalmidways.com 
http://www.ridemanuals.com 
WestCoastPat
Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:29:18 AM
Showpeople-great post. So many times we hear only of the lot. If you are lucky enough to travel these great States, try to see some of the wonders out there. I met a guy selling programs for a touring show. His vice was that at every spot around the United States he would go have a gourmet dinner somewhere. When he played Salinas, CA. where I was he went to Carmel Valley and said it was amazing. But he never just settled for what was close or easy-takes some effort but he sure thought it was worth it.
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
magfly
Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:12:40 AM
when the kids were young we always made sure they got off the lot as much as possible. They have been to many zoos,museums,pools ,and as they got older it was the MALL (teenage girls lol).I think our favorite times were playing the islands in the winter tho the beach during the day was nice.
when you cant breathe nothing else matters/please sign you organ donor cards today!! you may save life ; it might even be MINE you are saving/check out www.bluebracelet.info 
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, March 10, 2007 12:57:18 PM
24 hour laundromats and grocery stores were great. We used to shop at 3am! Usually had to double back for something or pick up the strays, thats what a CDL will get you, also a few extra dollars where it counts, was worth it all those years.
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"