Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
My friend/roomate and I were those young gurls most in the biz learn to hate...by showing up everyday and being there all day. But through the week we met 2 guys (also bunk mates)and hit it off from the get go. In a few months it will be 2 years that we have both been in our relationships. Both my friend and I have a baby by our man, and plan on getting hitched...so basically we are going to be lifers. *Couldn't imagine things any different these days*
I fell in love with an agent [V]
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain
my great great uncles came back to s. e. ohio from the 1903 st . louis worlds fair with a new product called ice cream sandwitche's ,they sold it at the local fairs ,homecomings !my grandfather worked with them,&opened a lunch stand ,trailed circues, jumped ahead and set up on private property . they were up 20 hours a day . opened a cook house in 1917 , first cook house burnt down ,bought onan one K.W. GEN . 9( STILL HAVE )frist ride pony ride, still have front sign !2 ride 1923 s&s airplane ,1929 opening cunningham expo. shows @mason city wv.my mother bought a 1947 eight tub octpus , hrubetz trailer ,& in 1950 a new dodge tractor 1600.00 dollars . my frist ride a 59 hrubetz t. m. PARATROOPER, son jon bought me out in 95 , i don't know about the next gen .??????? jim[:(]
man is the only animal that can blush , or has the need to !
I was hitchhiking back to Fla. when a Wade shows truck picked me up, ended up setting up the Pirate and the Flying Bobs for that spot, The next year a friend that I worked with at a restaurant had a brother that owned joints and needed help in the spring, and from there I enjoyed many, many years in the Biz, off the road now for the last 6 years but missing it very much!! This site & Forum make it a little easier to deal with !! Give yourselves a round of applause!!![:D][8D][:p][:o)]
bdabrush

"Same road that brought you here, will take you home!"

"When life gives you a flat rabbit fur covered snake, Play again, You can Trade up!!"
I am also not "with-it" but do work for and with shows every week since 1981. After several years after college working for newspapers and magazines, I answered a blind ad in a newspaper and ended up working in sales for National Ticket for 7 years (MD to SC was my territory) then went to work for AB for 13 years first in the West Coast office and then Nashville, then to Skeeball for a year, then went out on my own in 2002 as an independent rep for two magazines, Venues Today & Amusement Today, and doing artwork for parks, shows and fairs.
Plus my first boyfriend in high school was a volunteer fireman so I worked the Cake Wheel at the annual firemens carnival for several years and really enjoyed it. And was/am still fascinated watching them tear down the rides.
My 17 year old nephew is now a volunteer fireman and he works the food stands at his carnival in PA each year too.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by oscar de grouch

who was the driver that picked you up?

Bernie Rowe, he was the foreman of the Toboggan. That was his last year out on the road. He did drive for Red occasionally. Bernie died about 20 years ago. He had a daughter about your age. I can't remember her name though. I'm sure the two of you played together at a few spots.
Bruce
I was living on the streets in Tampa when I met a few ex-carnies working for the Dream Center and they told me about how carnivals are always hiring and the closest carnival at the time was Plant City. There, I got a job working rides for Farrow.
Bart: How would I go about creating a 1/2 man, 1/2 monkey type creature?
Sunday school teacher: I'm sorry but that would be playing god.
Bart: GOD SCHMOD! I WANT MY MONKEY MAN!
who was the driver that picked you up?
I was hitchhiking in Florida and got picked up by a guy bringing a ride up to Mason, MI for Wade Shows. He offered me a job ($75 wk), I was broke, and thought I'll work for a week, get a few bucks, and take off. Worked a week in winter quarters, met the boss (Red Wood) on payday, and when he found out I was from Kansas he gave me a $25 a week raise. This was in 1976. I worked for Bernie Rowe on the Toboggan for the summer, came back the next year as foreman, and stuck around 7 more years.
Bruce
The first spot I ever played was the San Antonio Stock Show with Wood Entertainment. I went to the rodeo and wondered what it would be like to work at the carnival. I talked to Joyce and she said to come back the next day and make sure I shaved my goatee. So I did and she put me on the 4X4. That year I went and helped them out during spring break in Austin Texas. From then on I helped them every year while they were in town. In 02' I started working with Flight to Mars inc. and I've been with them ever since. I'm currently trying to get through college, so after I have my degree I can decide whether I want to stay out here or teach a bunch of high school kids... time will tell. But for now, I can say I'm truely happy.