Post a reply
Security Image:
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
True story. Back in the winter of 73 I had just got the lot man's job with Nick Santamaria. He had just made a deal to be the New England unit of Godding's Million Dollar Midways. One day in January, I was living in Randolph Mass and was getting ready to come to Florida for 3 months, Nick called and said I had to meet the Rabbi (Uncle Milty) downtown Boston in the doorway of the State Street bank. I asked him what did he want from me. Nick said he didn't know but be there. So I went and got there at the appointed time. I remember it being cold as I waited. Sure enough, Uncle Milty came and said follow me. We went across the street and into city hall. We went right into the Mayors office and the girl called on the intercom and the Mayor said to send us in. Now, remember, I still had no idea why I was there. Milt and the Mayor talked for a few minutes and then they had me go to a big blueprint of 4 city blocks that they said was where the Boston City fair would be set up. Milt said, show the mayor how the show will be laid out. I knew what to do. I asked one question, where will the people be coming from. I said, here will be the front gate and the merry-go-round will be here. Games down the right and games down the left, Rides in a circle and shows across the back end. After they talked a while longer we left. When we got to the street, Uncle Milty said, good job kid, you passed. I never got an explanation from Nick or the Rabbi whether or not that was some kind of test. And BTW, the big unit of the MDM played the city fair. We did not but I got to visit it. 73 was the best year I ever had until I went with Reithoffer. When ever I saw Milton at a convention or a fair meeting, he always went out of his way to say hi. That made me feel good. And yes, his pants were always 2 inches above his shoes and his socks always matched his suit. What a guy!

I agree with Lotman. When you look at an empty lot you must see the layout in your head or you'll never be able to do it right. I laid out lots for 20 odd years. I don't miss it, especially since my job was to be up all night and spot the rides.
Sixcats have nine lives
i have the mayor come out and step it of for him[}:)]
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BSA Mike

My uncle has a program that he always makes lot plans on, and im not quite sure what it is, but i was wondering if or what anyone else uses, sometimes the town wants a lot layout before you roll in, anyone know any good programs? ...

with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt C.

Yeah, AutoCad is expensive! In high school I took two years of CAD and we used AutoCad, so I have become used to it and do not use anything but AutoCad. I have heard of many other CAD programs that are less expensive and I am sure they will do the trick. Good luck!

Expensive thats no joke there Matt. I've been using Autocad for about six months for my audio system installs. Works really well. Unfortunately since I use a Mac I had to buy Virtual to run it. So besides the price of AutoCad throw in another $400.00 for Virtual. That was an expensive day, but in the long run totally worth it, and the programs have paid for themselfs several times over since the purchase.

It's funny to compare it to a grocery but you're right. People will walk to the food and they'll walk to the rides; you have to make them walk past the joints.

Quote:

quote:

there is nothing like standing on an empty lot and envisioning your show in your head before you pound the first stake. no computer in the world can do that.

Great feeling, huh? My fav thing to do is shake it up every now and then. There's nothing more boring than the same rides being in the same locations year after year. My pop used to call some committees "ketchup bottle" spots. Every year the ketchup bottle had to be put in the same spot, on the same table, next to the same food stand as it has been for the last 20-30 years. Know what I mean?

A lot is like water... if you don't shake it up a little, it'll get stagnant.

The CAD program Cammack uses is done in "layers". On one layer they'll have trailer specifications so the load can be spotted according to the map and fit exactly as it should. Another layer is a finished product that is used as a "you are here" type guide for the customers. It was impressive because they printed out the map on a 3-4' by 5-6' sheet in color. I'm sure they have a wiring layer as well.

I have AutoCAD as well but it didn't seem as easy to draw in as the TurboCAD program I also have.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by lotman

ive had a few people hand me computer generated lot plans. they look great on paper, but never work. there are too many variables to consider when laying out a lot.not only does your layout have to look good, but you have too know everything involved with every ride or joint or generator or housetrailer or stock truck, etc. to make sure you can get everything placed for setup or teardown so everything moves efficiently.you also have to lay it out so everything gets a productive location.
amateurs and computers can't figure these things out. if you had the time to program all the factors in to the computer that that you would need to have a good layout you could already have your midway layed out, all equipment spotted and be open taking money.

there is nothing like standing on an empty lot and envisioning your show in your head before you pound the first stake. no computer in the world can do that.

Agreed 100% on that, but some townships we play in require a lot plan, you can put any rides you want, they don't know the difference..

and thats why i am asking now, so i can get them made earlier then a week before we go to that spot.
Lotman a computer cad program is only as good as the information put into it. Just like laying a lot out if the person doesn't know all the aspects involved it will not work out. We have the dimensions of everything pre made down to cable lengths of each ride or game as well as main runs. It took some time just to make each thing but once it is done it's there for ever. I think it can be a great tool if the person using it understands not only the program but also the logistics of laying out a lot.
ive had a few people hand me computer generated lot plans. they look great on paper, but never work. there are too many variables to consider when laying out a lot.not only does your layout have to look good, but you have too know everything involved with every ride or joint or generator or housetrailer or stock truck, etc. to make sure you can get everything placed for setup or teardown so everything moves efficiently.you also have to lay it out so everything gets a productive location.
amateurs and computers can't figure these things out. if you had the time to program all the factors in to the computer that that you would need to have a good layout you could already have your midway layed out, all equipment spotted and be open taking money.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
I seen guys in the business all their life that can't lay out a lot....I'm saying Helen Keller could of done a better job....Then there's guys who can just "step it off" and have a really good layout...
Quote:

quote:

I always thought some old carny with a lifetime of experience should put out a book on How To Lay Out A Lot....

The old carny that taught me how to lay out a lot simply told me a carnival midway should be like a grocery. You have to pass by everything in the store to get to the milk and bread, which is what every one goes to buy.If you dont understand that dont lay out a lot.
http://jessopamuse.com 
How you make a small fortune in the carnival bussiness.
Start with a large one!
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scuba875

It's cheap Mike maybe 50.00? You can pick it up at bust (best) buy I think or Comp USA is where I shop I don't really care for the other

Thanks for the info man!