Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Dan L.

Mike I plan on getting in the shop and working on it. I do remember writting on the iside of the top. In black magic marker. I will let you know. By the way, where do you think is a good place to find that kind of grease that Don Cummons uses on the gears? The grease on the gears had hardened. I scrapped alot of it off, but I need to clean the gears, and I was going to apply new grease.

Dan, yepp mine is also written in black marker, and im not sure on the grease maybe Jay or Matt would know...
Mike I plan on getting in the shop and working on it. I do remember writting on the iside of the top. In black magic marker. I will let you know. By the way, where do you think is a good place to find that kind of grease that Don Cummons uses on the gears? The grease on the gears had hardened. I scrapped alot of it off, but I need to clean the gears, and I was going to apply new grease.
I'm familiar with the bases that are dated. That's easy to figure out, but I noticed the older bases were numbered like your gravitron was with Initials and a number. Is that a serial number?? If so, then I'm positive that one of mine was the 2nd one built.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BSA Mike

dan, inside the base of my ride it says " G.T. #4" then it says "8-24-92" as well

What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
If I am not mistaken, the first Gravitron (as it looks today) went to Royal American Shows in 1983.

The first one I ever saw was in 1985 and belonged to Link Shows. Wade Shows got one right after that. And after a couple more years they were all over.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
dan, inside the base of my ride it says " G.T. #4" then it says "8-24-92" as well
Thanks Matt. I work on it.

Mike when did you get your gravitron? When I unpacked this one it had newspapers in the box that were from Brentwood, TN dated 1982. I don't think I even saw a real Gravitron until about 1987 or 1988. Do you know when Don started building gravitrons. It would be nice to put an approximate date on this model. In the box was the original shipping label. Went to Mr. Don Gregory, United Shows of America, West Palm Beach Florida. I kept that and laminated it.
Quote:

quote:

Do you have the 110ac volt motor, or the older dc motor?

my gravitron was the 4th one made, so im guessing a dc motor?
Quote:

quote:

Dan, its because theres a connection problem between the ship and the commentator. You may need to bend the copper tabs up so they brush up against the commentator on the bottom of the ship. I purchased some contact cleaner from radio shack that is conductive. If you spray that on the commentator, it helps the connection and reduces some noise.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Quote:

quote:

Mike do your lights on the ship flicker as it is turning? The lights on mine are flickering while the model is turning. However the secenery wall lights glow steady.

my whole ride flickers when i 1st start it up, but then it goes solid. ...and stays thast way