Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Games of chance are illegal in almost every state. Some states inforce it more then others though. Some let you work a crazy ball as long as you give a prize every time. Usually it depends on who does the inspections. I couldn't put up my rolldown 12 years ago here in PA and now I see laydown wheels in some fairs. Go figure. One thing for sure is, when the inspectors inspect the games, they don't know what they are looking for. Never have, never will.
Sixcats have nine lives
I don't see how the cannonball could be considered a game of chance. Hasn't anyone ever seen skillshots from the plunger in a real pinball? [:)]
There is a cover the spot working my lot this week in Wallkill, come to think about it they set up a long rang last night as well. I'll get back to everybody an let you know how it goes this weekend in the joint.
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
Lotman is correct about the pinball type game being called a cannonball. The operator may not have wanted his photo or a photo of the game because most states now consider that a game of chance and not a skill game. Michigan, for example, requires all games be games of skill now. The lottery commission regulates this. Not all operators comply, hoping to not run into anyone who is checking for this type of thing.
J. Brady
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Carnevil

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JW

I rarely see the "cover the spot" and "wacky wire" in my geographic area (DE, PA, NJ, MD).

The wacky wires are on display every year at IAAPA and IISF.
The wacky wire is manufactured by DOBCO (Dobson) of Canada (I believe they also book games with Conklin, and possibly others).
Dobco also makes updated, themed versions of the wacky wire- Wizard and cobra.
www.dobco.com 

Come to think of it, I don't see many cat racks anymore (on carnival midways anyway).
On the other hand, I don't have far to go to see "start and stop" wheels (aka "stop and go", "color" etc...)- There must be more start and stop wheels along the New Jersey shore than anywhere else on planet earth (at least the "Jersey" wheels)- there must be literally hundreds of them along the boardwalks and piers in Jersey.
Of course, a lot of that has to do with the fact that most of them were manufactured by Park Sales of Seaside Park, NJ (not to be confused with the "Pennsylvania" wheels manufactured by Jack's Games of PA). [:D]

Quote:

quote:

One unique game I remember seeing that I don't recall ever seeing, was last year on Reithoffer at the PA Fair in Bensalem- it was a game in a line-up trailer that had several large old wooden "pinball" machines that were flashed with a variety of merchandise from slum to higher-end merchandise. The slot your ball went into was the prize you won. I thought that was a kinda interesting game- rarely seen. (Unfortunately, when I tried to photograph it the guy working the joint abruptly stopped me and said "Yo, Buddy- If I let you take a picture of this, I'd get in big trouble. My boss would probably fire me." (apparently secrative game)[:(]
Quote:

quote:

I think your talking about the roll down add em up

that joint is called cannon ball .there used to be two of them on dell and travers show. as far as the wacky wire goes i know people that feature them and make a good living with them. they are not for eveybody and you probably need a lot of volume with them. the spot joint is one of the oldest games in this business, not too many operators left. i saw an interesting version used by canadians when i played in ottawa. the boards were plexiglass and back lit so the red not covered was easily seen leaving no question whether there was red left uncovered or not. also the boards were {loose} and copped fairly easy throwing a lot of stock. you couldn't get near the joint, but that was back in the 80's don't know how it would do today?
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sixcat

I also don't consider the long range basket ball a good joint because it blanks out at lots of spots also.

We picked up a Capco long range about 6 weeks ago and it has beat our waterguns every week except one.

It makes me want to have Dennis build a dart game just like it

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

As for the "skin the wire." It's a blank. Just because They can sell them at the trade show doesn't mean it's a good joint.

I agree, Sixcat. And you are dead on about just because it is sold at the trade show doesn't mean it's a good game, a good ride or a good piece of merchandise.

I agree too Bryan. Just ask a certain Michigan show about a ride called the Techno Jump, lol.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by LuckyStar

Quote:

quote:

As for the "skin the wire." It's a blank. Just because They can sell them at the trade show doesn't mean it's a good joint.

I have to disagree here....I have seen this game on Big A on Dominic's Unit and there are some spots where the agent gets paid! It might not want to be a game you put up every spot you go to, but there are definitely some spots where it is worth putting it up. I have watched them gross lots of money and it can be addicting to the public because they wanna beat it. The agent makes it look so easy to do. :)

IMHO. A game that doesn't get money at all spots is not a good joint. The "wire" blanks out to much. I also don't consider the long range basket ball a good joint because it blanks out at lots of spots also. On the other hand, I do look at things from an owners point of view. Agents never worry about the stock, or the rent, or the insurance, or the trucks breaking down, or the cost of fuel, or or or or..... I could go on and on.
Again, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Sixcats have nine lives
I think all these types of games will be extinct soon enough . It's all about the stock avereage , and very little "scores" anymore . Let's face it , you want repeat customers so you gotta make 'em happy . Frappin' them out of whatever is left after gas,parking,and gate dings will get you nowhere these days . However , i'm sure there are the true die-hards that'll get paid either way....
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
Quote:

quote:

I have to disagree here....I have seen this game on Big A on Dominic's Unit and there are some spots where the agent gets paid! It might not want to be a game you put up every spot you go to, but there are definitely some spots where it is worth putting it up. I have watched them gross lots of money and it can be addicting to the public because they wanna beat it. The agent makes it look so easy to do. :)