Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
A picture J&J's extended goosneck Paratrooper is posted in webshots at:
http://community.webshot...24374383/141097423qTOaNM 

Photot is from Dunkirk, NY fair July 2003.

Bill P.
The lengthened gooseneck was really nice. It provided an easy to reach curves and straights rack. Also the Front of the trailer carried the fence much like how a Hurricane does. Using a piece of metal grating and extending it out past the front of the gooseneck using the fence racks, we were sitting out past the sweeps in the front, and it made doing camelbacks and curves and straights simple.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
J&J used to have a trooper with a lengthen trailer. I think they added another 8 feet to the gooseneck. have to search the archives for a picture I have of it.

Bill P.
I ran the Paratrooper a few times when Midway Rides of Utica had one. I was always warned that you had to be really careful in reverse, especially slowing down because of the possibility of people's heads and the seat stems hitting the bonnets. I would say half of the time, the ride was run in reverse. The couple of years before the ride was sold, the 2nd unit operators were nervous about using it in reverse.

Hawkins still runs theirs in reverse.

Being on a show that had both a Star Trooper, and a Paratrooper, there are a few other differences. The Paratrooper seats kicked out more than the Star Trooper seats do. Because of that, in my opinion, both rides gave a slightly different sensation than the other.

Midway Rides of Utica's Paratrooper was slightly longer than most others due to a lengthened gooseneck. So although it was a bigger trailer than the Star Trooper, it was considerably lighter. The guys used to say that the Paratrooper was much easier to build, but the Star Trooper, other than being heavier isn't too hard to move either.

The Star Trooper's center drive system is much more powerful than the Paratrooper's rim drive. This is due to the fact that ride capacity is considerably larger, and being gear driven, no worries of slippage as on the Paratrooper, especially in rain.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill P

Fastest Paratrooper I ever saw. NY State Fair 1976, booked on by Frankies Amusements [East Coast Shows] The seats were almost upside down at the top like an Enterprise.

Photo in Webshots at:
http://community.webshot...24374383/140643480VUvCGR 

Great shot Bill. That is exactly how Arnold Amusements' Paratrooper runs here in Michigan. So fast you think the seats are going to flip over at the top. Wild. [:)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
OMG! that's crazy. I would have loved to see that thing. Has anyone been on the Force-10. As a kid I remember that ride being very mean.[xx(] If you happened to turn and look at your friends expression next to you. You better be ready to sit like that for the rest of the ride!lol[:D] I havn't seen one in a long time though.[V]
Fastest Paratrooper I ever saw. NY State Fair 1976, booked on by Frankies Amusements [East Coast Shows] The seats were almost upside down at the top like an Enterprise.

Photo in Webshots at:
http://community.webshot...24374383/140643480VUvCGR 
Last year at the St Johns carnival here in niagara falls i witnessed the former amusements of buffalo operating their paratrooper both forwards and backwards (ironically, this is the same machine that was once operated at fantasy island i believe), however i didnt get a backwards ride since i was with my little cousin who was crying on the ride since she didnt want to go home, i think the op thought she was scared so i didnt get the full ride, that sucked

When i was on hammerl amusements last labor day weekend they only ran theirs forwards, i havent been on fun city's paratrooper yet.
Fastest Paratrooper I ever saw was booked into the NY State Fair 1976 by Frankies Amusements (East Coast Shows). The seats were upside down at the top almost like an Enterprise. I have a photo I'll post in webshots soon.

Now that I think about it...

<=Kennywood=< and Camden Park both have hydraulic ("lay-down") Paratroopers, and as I recall, the drive mechanism is an electric motor connected to a gearbox via a torque converter, then the output side of the gearbox is connected to the center by a drive chain. I know how it works, but I don't know all the details...I know there is an overrunning clutch in the torque converter, and it seems to me that clutch would preclude driving the thing backward. That might explain why only the rim drive models seem to go backward: all the rim drive Paratroopers I have seen use a hydraulic drive, and that can easily be driven in either direction, as the hydraulic motor drives the rim more-or-less directly.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.