Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jimmy D

While you are all on the Divx format, if you search the web you can find the Nemo codec pack, it has the Divx 3.11 and 4 codecs in it, and they are free, no spyware involved, as for it being a great thing. Divx can be great, I use it all the time when I am encoding movies. I wont go into to much detail since it is a little OT, but Divx can be a great thing to have, but I also have an AC3 codec as well, I dont remember if Nemo comes with one or not, but you can download a free one online as usual.

Jimmy D

While I agree that just because of the insult of their adding spyware to their software, that people deserve a free copy, they do charge for the versions that are released in that Nimo codec pack. Just so people know if they install that pack, they do it at their own risk 😉. I installed it once, and had more headaches than anything from there forward. It installs so many garbage filters and other stuff you don't need either. If you get a movie and it doesn't play right, the XviD codec comes with a little file called aviC.exe -- it can chance the codec association for avi files, which is 99% of the problems with them... For those that are interested, there are many codec discussions on the bsplayer.org site I reference, as well as some good links to follow through on if your into this stuff... We've really gotten off topic with it, so I think if we go any further on it, we should start a new topic in the OT forum for it (for sake of the fact it's not a bad topic and I can see it being around for a while).
While you are all on the Divx format, if you search the web you can find the Nemo codec pack, it has the Divx 3.11 and 4 codecs in it, and they are free, no spyware involved, as for it being a great thing. Divx can be great, I use it all the time when I am encoding movies. I wont go into to much detail since it is a little OT, but Divx can be a great thing to have, but I also have an AC3 codec as well, I dont remember if Nemo comes with one or not, but you can download a free one online as usual.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
kind of strange to se an accident happen on a dartron cliff hanger.
i have ridden them for about 3 years and i never heard of one ever having an accident since it was built in 1998. i turely think it is an extremely safe and well built ride. i hope this isn't the end of the line for wade's cliff hanger. i rode it at the s.a rodeo last year and there was perfecty fine. mabye something that held the glider in place just wore down or something. i hope wade fixes the cliff hanger cause i do like it. it still works and i'm sure wade can easly fix it. there will probly be a little bit of stigma attached to it but mabye people will get over it as time goes on
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Quote:

quote:

Several reasons why I don't run it. My computer is a total loss. It's an AMD-300 w/192megs ram and 30gig hard drive.

It sounds brutal SS. Are you still able to play QT movies.

I'm glad to see we have another Apple head here RideMan. I had 10.2.8 but it was causing printer trouble so I went back to 10.2.6. 3ivx is a new one on me, never saw it mentioned before, but I did just check it out.

3ivx is pretty neat, but it's more a filter than a true codec, if I remember right. I know the quality is much sharper for the same size file (like rideman stated). But they all cost money... Divx used to install spyware with their free version, then it was only with the full version, while they always charged for the pro version... Ever since my bout with quicktime over the last couple months, I have somewhat boycotted QT movies in general. I'm also boycotting .WMV files as well (media player format) for essentially the same trouble (codec problems)... I figure if I ever upgrade to a real computer, I will deal with the movies alot more, but with a 300mhz box compared to a G4 Mac or 2ghz PC, I'm kinda limited (the animations on my website alone drag my box down 😞 )...

We did get off topic pretty bad here... It's mainly my fault <grin>, but you'll have that...
Quote:

quote:

Several reasons why I don't run it. My computer is a total loss. It's an AMD-300 w/192megs ram and 30gig hard drive.

It sounds brutal SS. Are you still able to play QT movies.

I'm glad to see we have another Apple head here RideMan. I had 10.2.8 but it was causing printer trouble so I went back to 10.2.6. 3ivx is a new one on me, never saw it mentioned before, but I did just check it out.
UserPostedImage
I forgot to mention that my system is running OS-X.2.8. I installed WiMP, but apparently the OS-X version is 'crippleware'. At work I have an XP system with an Ethernet connection to the campus network, but lately that connection has been so saturated that I get better web throughput at home with the 56k modem!

Anyway, we're veering dangerously off-topic here, but I suppose since Secret Squirrel is involved it's OK for now... [:D] Oh, by the way, right now my favorite video codec is the current one from 3ivx. Tiny files, miniscule data rate, great quality. And because it's MPEG-4 compliant, QuickTime 6 can play it back without the 3ivx codec.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RideMan

In this particular case my trouble with Windows Media is that it REFUSES to cache the video file. So when I am trying to watch it over what amounts to a piece of wet spaghetti, I get lousy results. With QuickTime, at least I can cache the whole movie so that I can wait for the whole thing to load, then run it.

gruelurks-- I thought you knew I was here. I've been here for a couple of months now...even worked my way up to "40-miler"... [:D]

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

Windows Media Player (along with others) was designed to not cache files when told not to by the streaming configuration. This is because of the constant problem of piracy, I'm sure. There should be options to tell Media Player that you are on a modem connection, and have low bandwidth. This will greatly increase your performance (but might not resolve it entirely). I've found that once you see the movie once, if you replay it (without refreshing the page) the cached version will play 95% of the time.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

I dumped real player for the same reason but why would you dump qt. I won't touch div-x. Microsoft always trys to hijack qt formats, gates is the ****head here.

Several reasons why I don't run it. My computer is a total loss. It's an AMD-300 w/192megs ram and 30gig hard drive. I run a really slim configuration -- not very many bells and whistles. This means I have VERY little installed as far as extras go. On several occaisions I attempted to download/install/etc. Quicktime. I had nothing but problems from the get go for whatever reason. I know that it wasn't the configuration of the computer, as Win2000 was just freshly installed in November. Then, after the installations failed, I couldn't get QT to completely uninstall without editing the registry, and manually deleting files, after I told the taskbar launcher several times not to load. It (in my opinion only) was too much hassle for the so very few movies I watch in quicktime format. I don't necessarily condone Windows Media Player either. I still get pink movies because of poor codec support. I use BS-Player (http://www.bsplayer.org) for all my movies. Have XviD, divx 3,4,5, and the microsoft MPEG audio and video codecs installed and that's all I need. Everything else I try to watch plays flawlessly -- even on this piece of old news computer I use...

I know quicktime is of decent quality, just as preference only - I really didn't like it.
In this particular case my trouble with Windows Media is that it REFUSES to cache the video file. So when I am trying to watch it over what amounts to a piece of wet spaghetti, I get lousy results. With QuickTime, at least I can cache the whole movie so that I can wait for the whole thing to load, then run it.

gruelurks-- I thought you knew I was here. I've been here for a couple of months now...even worked my way up to "40-miler"... [:D]

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
I dumped real player for the same reason but why would you dump qt. I won't touch div-x. Microsoft always trys to hijack qt formats, gates is the ****head here.
UserPostedImage