Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: Thunderbolt2 

Interesting you say that, I do remember seeing a "car shifter" like for an automatic on the controls as I walked by, did think that was a bit strange. There is a train video of Strates actually during the 88 season because the Monster is on the train and the new Diver with the turbo lights, not going to post the video because I figure most have seen it, but just google JES train and you will see it if you haven't.

I think its one of the best videos of the train when they still had a lot good classics and such. Saw your Bob's going by and its three loads, the TriStar, Pirate, Sky Ride and lot more.

It originally had nice hydraulic controls, but we dicked them up and ended up changing to the ski-boat throttle controls.

Ride the Zipper?
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

The Monster did okay, but it needed flashed up and whatnot and never really got there. We also f'ed up the controls when we got it, which made it slower loading than is should have been. I don't recall how it loaded out and never really had much to do with it.

Interesting you say that, I do remember seeing a "car shifter" like for an automatic on the controls as I walked by, did think that was a bit strange. There is a train video of Strates actually during the 88 season because the Monster is on the train and the new Diver with the turbo lights, not going to post the video because I figure most have seen it, but just google JES train and you will see it if you haven't.

I think its one of the best videos of the train when they still had a lot good classics and such. Saw your Bob's going by and its three loads, the TriStar, Pirate, Sky Ride and lot more.
Originally Posted by: Thunderbolt2 

Thanks, sorry to hear that about the Sky Ride, yeah I know he dropped the Tip Top and Yo-Yo in 1989, Yo-Yo went to BSA, but as you do not know where the tip top went. In 89 the Rainbow came out along with the Wave Swinger, often have wondered if he was going to drop the Monster in 89 as well to keep the same amount of loads as the wave swinger brought on 2, and what the Rainbow 3 or 4, but of course that was decided anyway. My figuring was that the Monster was two loads and slow loading, not sure if it made money but maybe someone knows more.

The Monster did okay, but it needed flashed up and whatnot and never really got there. We also f'ed up the controls when we got it, which made it slower loading than is should have been. I don't recall how it loaded out and never really had much to do with it.

Ride the Zipper?
Strates Rainbow ended up as 4 loads, Center load, tub load, the boom was put on a 32' wagon to lighten the center load and the scenery went in a 40 foot container.
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Strates Sky Ride was new in 1965. It was completely refurbed in 1997. It was set up in Ionia Michigan in 2004? They found something wrong with it and it never operated again. Never heard what the specific problem was.

Don't know what happened to the 1975 Round up they had. I know that after they got the 1975 Round UP the older one [60's era] appeared on a Kennedy Amusements midway in central NY in 1976. Never saw it again. They also replaced a mid 60's Tip Top in 1975. at Hamburg. The old one was racked next to the burlesque show on opening day and the new one was on the midway a few days later. Never heard where the old, non folding model went. Also don't know what happened to the 75 model Tip Top.

Thanks, sorry to hear that about the Sky Ride, yeah I know he dropped the Tip Top and Yo-Yo in 1989, Yo-Yo went to BSA, but as you do not know where the tip top went. In 89 the Rainbow came out along with the Wave Swinger, often have wondered if he was going to drop the Monster in 89 as well to keep the same amount of loads as the wave swinger brought on 2, and what the Rainbow 3 or 4, but of course that was decided anyway. My figuring was that the Monster was two loads and slow loading, not sure if it made money but maybe someone knows more.
Originally Posted by: Drummer1973 

Do you by chance remember a guy named John Carr . He handled the Himalaya in the 80's . He worked for Cumberland Valley Shows for a long time. I would like to find him or know if he is still living.
Thanks Teresa

I do not remember a John Carr moving the Strates/Culp Himalaya in the 80's, might have worked on it. Just were not that many guys, Junior (not sure what his name was) and Eddie to I'm pretty sure Jim Abear in the very early '80s and he was still moving it in late '88 when I left.

I don't think CVS had a Himalaya on Strates in the '80s, at least not regularly.

Ride the Zipper?
Do you by chance remember a guy named John Carr . He handled the Himalaya in the 80's . He worked for Cumberland Valley Shows for a long time. I would like to find him or know if he is still living.
Thanks Teresa
Thanks Teresa
Strates Sky Ride was new in 1965. It was completely refurbed in 1997. It was set up in Ionia Michigan in 2004? They found something wrong with it and it never operated again. Never heard what the specific problem was.

Don't know what happened to the 1975 Round up they had. I know that after they got the 1975 Round UP the older one [60's era] appeared on a Kennedy Amusements midway in central NY in 1976. Never saw it again. They also replaced a mid 60's Tip Top in 1975. at Hamburg. The old one was racked next to the burlesque show on opening day and the new one was on the midway a few days later. Never heard where the old, non folding model went. Also don't know what happened to the 75 model Tip Top.
Originally Posted by: JimW 

I don't know if this had anything to do with it but didn't they have to have a Pettibone crane to set it up?

It did use the small Pettibone (that was a nice unit), but with the wheel and the boat both having cranes, I think it could have shared.

I'm not sure how old it was, but it seemed like it was an old piece in '78. Bill P?

Driving the stakes was a man-killer....

Ride the Zipper?