Post a reply
Security Image:
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: lotman 

I started my career in 1970 working for Tommy Bear on the Dell and Travers show.
The show really changed when Paul Theodore bought it but I was already gone by then.
Great times on D&T

Not sure whether you mean it change for the better or worse, but the show was already a POC when Paul bought it.

Ride the Zipper?
I started my career in 1970 working for Tommy Bear on the Dell and Travers show.
The show really changed when Paul Theodore bought it but I was already gone by then.
Great times on D&T
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
I cannot remember where I saw Bob rubber legs. I believe it was Fayetteville North Carolina. He was only with our show for one spot.

What I do remember is that he had a bouncer named Bear. The first night or two there was a fight between a couple guys and after the fight was over Bear repeatedly kicked the guy that lost the fight and was on the ground. That night after the show closed people were sitting at an open food joint for the midway workers and playing poker (including Bear) I was about 10 ft away on the phone with a phone card I found.

So, this skinny little guys walks up and approaches Bear and starts *ing him out and threatening him. Bear is sitting there with a Jimmi Hendeix type hat with a feather in it. The skinny guy is saying "you like to kick people when they are down, etc" he leaves and comes back a few minutes later with a pipe. He is standing over Bear and Bear is just ignoring him. He hit him so hard scalp came flying off his head. I never saw anything like that before and thought Bear was going to die. I couldnt believe it when I saw Bear on the midway the next day with his head wrapped in bandages.

Turns out the skinny guy was friends with the guy bear kicked after the fight. The cops searched for that guy but he was long gone.

Crazy with some of the things you see and remember on the road.

Peace.
Tempo girl show was probably not Rubberlegs. Tempo was a pretty small front that I saw 2 or 3 times in NY & PA around 1975-76.
Bob 'Rubberlegs' Tannenbaum played the Genesee County Fair in Batavia, NY, a really small one, in 1979 with Victor Ketch's Ketch Shows. He had a huge show front that covered on entire end of the midway. From Batavia, NY rubberlegs went to the Illinois State fair. That must have been quite a contrast. Don't how someone one talked him into coming all the the way to NY.
Tempo girl show? Was that Bob Rubberlegs?

Olympic (Dell and Travers) also had Billy the world's smallest bull. And the hippie chickens.
Hello,
I posted a lot of pictures from my time with Dell and Travers (olympic exposition) In the states and in Venezuela.
ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE

I found the book with all my notes from 1963-1989. These are the only Dell & Travers and World of Mirth reports i have.

Dell & Travers at Big Butler Fair, Butler, PA July 1976
Sky Wheel
Hustler
Round Up
MGR
Wheel
Scrambler
Paratroper
Tilt
5-7 kiddie rides
Zipper
Cobra
Saturn Six
Artic Flyer himalaya
Tip Top [themed Hot pots]
Sky Diver
Toboggan
Dark Ride
Glasshouse
Several shows including the "Tempo" Girl Show

World of Mirth [Little Richard] Warren Co. Fair, Pittsfield, PA August 13, 1976
Sky Wheel
Tilt
Trabant
Saturn Six
Sizzler
Flying Bobs
Round up
Rock-o-plane
Dodgem
coaster [
Cobra
Darkride
Funhouse
MGR
several kiddies

A severe storm passed thru the area and grounds were a mudhole. I was disappointed, the Sky Wheel was not running and was not lit. Was curious what color it had , if any.

World of Mirth [Little Richard] Bradford, PA mall, July 29, 1978
Flying Bobs
Rock-o-plane
Musical Chairs
MGR
Hampton
Tilt
Dodgem
Sizzler
Round Up
Cobra
Loop-o-plane

There's something in my notes about elephants so maybe there was some kind of elephant show.

When I dig out my old notebook I can post ridelists for these two shows at a couple Pennsylvania spots in 1975, 76 or 77. Have to dig into the archive file cabinet to find it. Stay tuned...
Still reaching out hopefully to get more information on these two shows, any stories that have not been told already or details about the show and routes. Just want to find out more about the history and the old days.

I know a lot of folks with information have passed on or maybe they just don't come to this site anymore but since Carnival Mag is gone, missing getting history on different shows. Another one I would like more details on is LD Wheeler/Larry's Amusements. I hate that these shows are just fading into my distant memory without knowing more about them or seeing more pictures.

I remember riding with my dad who was a truck driver to Charlotte NC one summer and low and behold Larry's was set up in a parking lot there where we stopped. Remember the Rock O Plane, Tempest, Wheel, and a no top himalaya which I believe once belonged to Exum which he built in-house (called Music Express). Course LD came around Greenville later on in 80s a good bit with those rides (minus the music ride) and others like Super Loops, Sea Ray, Rok n Roll, Scrambler, Swinger, and others. Lots of flat stores as well (LOL). Man, wish I had been taking pictures back then.