Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I find the idea that you can't get young men to join the carnival because shows are (generally) not offering health care and or a 401K ridiculous.

ok, but my thinking is long term, if you can get get quality help with experience, you want to keep them, good pay is important, but so can healthcare and retirement, something they can invest in and enjoy as a benefit. Most 401k's take a while to fully invest, so experienced help might think twice about blowing the show. If a young man is thinking about his future, then putting something away for a rainy day would be good, and having healthcare as well.

But I think I understand what you are saying as well.
As I have said previously... We are hiring.

The complainers never seem to apply. 🙄
I find the idea that you can't get young men to join the carnival because shows are (generally) not offering health care and or a 401K ridiculous.

Ride the Zipper?
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I don't care much either for H2B workers either, BUT I agree with JustinJames, people just don't want to work hard anymore let alone travel every week for most of the year. I remember exactly what he was talking about, drama and foolishness when a job needs to get done. Not to mention someone blowing the show every week and that is tough when you lose a strong crew that can move a Sky Wheel or Music Fest, then it falls back on the one who stay to do more work.

Now, that being said if shows could provide a little more "benefit" it might sweeten the pot a bit to attract workers, JustinJames you say that you all pay a lot better and I am sure you provide nice LQ as well, so absolutely a step in the right direction. But if in addition shows could offer some type of health insurance/401k for the future (maybe shows could get together and get large group rates with carriers) then that could help even more.

But yes nothing will help the drug/back ground checks situation if these folks don't stay clean and out of trouble, and yes we need those two items in this business.

Sadly today most American's either want to live off the government or work some soft desk job. Think about it, who still plants their own gardens (I know some do, but not as many as used too), why because its hard work. They want to order already prepared meals online, heck I have seen people even hiring folks to put up their own Christmas lights.

I remember the large groups of people as well waiting at the gate wanting to work on set up, and we always seemed to have at least some tear down help, I haven't done that in a while, but I bet its a lot harder getting green help nowadays.

As much as I don't like one trailer music rides (no offense JJ), I get it, shows and operators can't find enough help to move those big 2 and 3 trailer rides because people don't like to work anymore.........and because the silly federal government has made driving a truck such a hassle, but that is another soapbox.

But just my thoughts.

Maybe if they ever get a national health care plan for folks whose job does not offer one it would help on that end.
RodB
I don't care much either for H2B workers either, BUT I agree with JustinJames, people just don't want to work hard anymore let alone travel every week for most of the year. I remember exactly what he was talking about, drama and foolishness when a job needs to get done. Not to mention someone blowing the show every week and that is tough when you lose a strong crew that can move a Sky Wheel or Music Fest, then it falls back on the one who stay to do more work.

Now, that being said if shows could provide a little more "benefit" it might sweeten the pot a bit to attract workers, JustinJames you say that you all pay a lot better and I am sure you provide nice LQ as well, so absolutely a step in the right direction. But if in addition shows could offer some type of health insurance/401k for the future (maybe shows could get together and get large group rates with carriers) then that could help even more.

But yes nothing will help the drug/back ground checks situation if these folks don't stay clean and out of trouble, and yes we need those two items in this business.

Sadly today most American's either want to live off the government or work some soft desk job. Think about it, who still plants their own gardens (I know some do, but not as many as used too), why because its hard work. They want to order already prepared meals online, heck I have seen people even hiring folks to put up their own Christmas lights.

I remember the large groups of people as well waiting at the gate wanting to work on set up, and we always seemed to have at least some tear down help, I haven't done that in a while, but I bet its a lot harder getting green help nowadays.

As much as I don't like one trailer music rides (no offense JJ), I get it, shows and operators can't find enough help to move those big 2 and 3 trailer rides because people don't like to work anymore.........and because the silly federal government has made driving a truck such a hassle, but that is another soapbox.

But just my thoughts.
Originally Posted by: Matt C. 

1) Guest workers are paid a prevailing wage depending on the county / city your working in.

Hey Matt, do you know if the prevailing wage is determined by where the employer is based, or where the employee is actually working?

For example, would a show based in rural Florida that plays up and down the east coast determine their rate based on the prevailing wage in rural Florida, or on the prevailing wage at each location the show plays?

Also. is the prevailing wage of a specific occupation used or just a general low/no-skill worker wage?

Thanks!
Ride the Zipper?
Keep in mind, the facts of the h-2b program (guest worker program):

1) Guest workers are paid a prevailing wage depending on the county / city your working in. This is set above the minimum wage. H-2B workers are not a cheap hire.
2) American workers are also paid the same prevailing wage
3) American employers must certify that they are unable to find workers domestically, before being approved to receive guest workers. They are required to advertise for the position of need and record applicants with the department of labor. The Department of labor will determine if your eligible for the workers.
4) Guest workers COST american employers a lot more than hiring domestically. There are a ton of fees associated with the program from transportation to recruitment to filing.
5) If given the choice, most American employers would much rather hire American... they don't have to pay all the fees, jump through all the political hoops, and worry year in and year out of they will receive their workers.
6) Most Americans want a year-round job, not a seasonal job thats itinerant in nature.
7) There are plenty of shows who advertise for open positions with us - a lot of whom use the H-2B program as well. They still want to hire American workers. Lets keep one thing in mind though - an American worker who cannot pass a drug or background check likely will be passed up on by the employer...

About 5-6,000 of the annual 66,000 guest workers permitted by the US government are employed in the carnival/amusement industry. This is a very small fraction of the entire cap (less then 10%).

Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

I have a great opinion of American workers. Several of our ride crews are all American crews. But finding 90 employees that can pass drug tests and background checks is becoming more and more difficult.

But if that is what you took from my statement. You may be part of the problem. What I stated is not opinion. It is a first hand account of what I see each season. The world is full of people with opinions yet no ability or desire to help change the very thing they are outraged by.

Did you know that in order to use the H2B program, you have to have a recruiting period and prove the lack of applicants? I will bet you didn't know this. In fact, I will bet your government check you don't know much about the subject you speak so passionately about.

So the bottom line is? You will pass on applying? Because you feel I have a bad opinion of American workers? Or is it that you'll pass because you have no desire to work due to age, disabilities, cats or whatever your common core excuse is? You wanna voice outrage? Fix it! I own cats... Somehow I make it work. 😂

PS - One of my drivers is 77 years old and STILL outworks most of the younger kids out here. Your age is a lame excuse.

On Strates in the '80s the drugs had gotten a little out of hand so he decided to start testing. After finding out which and how many of the guys were coming back dirty they just stopped the testing...

Ride the Zipper?
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

"fully disabled" i.e. on the public tit...

Exactly... Not employable
Originally Posted by: ringmaster 

Sorry, after reading your (low) opinion of American workers, I think I'll give Big Rock a pass.
I'm seventy-six years old and fully disabled. I have to stay home to feed my cats. I still manage to perform at local private parties as a (fake) psychic and lately demonstrate "playing the nuts", I dem the game but don't tip the G.
[drinking3

I have a great opinion of American workers. Several of our ride crews are all American crews. But finding 90 employees that can pass drug tests and background checks is becoming more and more difficult.

But if that is what you took from my statement. You may be part of the problem. What I stated is not opinion. It is a first hand account of what I see each season. The world is full of people with opinions yet no ability or desire to help change the very thing they are outraged by.

Did you know that in order to use the H2B program, you have to have a recruiting period and prove the lack of applicants? I will bet you didn't know this. In fact, I will bet your government check you don't know much about the subject you speak so passionately about.

So the bottom line is? You will pass on applying? Because you feel I have a bad opinion of American workers? Or is it that you'll pass because you have no desire to work due to age, disabilities, cats or whatever your common core excuse is? You wanna voice outrage? Fix it! I own cats... Somehow I make it work. 😂

PS - One of my drivers is 77 years old and STILL outworks most of the younger kids out here. Your age is a lame excuse.