Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: massachusettsman 

The fiesta shows earthquake is setup right now in topsfield ma. It doesn’t move or have any of the cool effects it used to have and only goes up once or twice a year now to fill a hole. I’ve been told that it had water effects, strobe light, smoke machine, and the whole thing used to rock. All it needs is a new compressor and some tlc to get back to its glory days. Right now setup next to the earthquake is an old Hollingsworth dark ride themed castle of evil with all the tricks working and the other side is a 2 trailer walk through dark ride featuring live actors.

massachusettsman, Thank you for that update.

"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
The fiesta shows earthquake is setup right now in topsfield ma. It doesn’t move or have any of the cool effects it used to have and only goes up once or twice a year now to fill a hole. I’ve been told that it had water effects, strobe light, smoke machine, and the whole thing used to rock. All it needs is a new compressor and some tlc to get back to its glory days. Right now setup next to the earthquake is an old Hollingsworth dark ride themed castle of evil with all the tricks working and the other side is a 2 trailer walk through dark ride featuring live actors.
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

I believe Strates got the German funhouse in 1981 from Conklin.

Also in this thread, did Kevin Exum have the Ghost Train out west at one time?

The two trailer walk-thru Haunted House was Jackie Norman's, wasn't it? It showed up around 1977. It was very effective when they put it on a dark road with some trees around it. I think the guy who built it built two because I saw a similar one on Reithoffer's in the mid 80's. One of then was built using 2 beer trailers. You could see where "Budweiser" had been removed from the back side of the trailers.

The two trailer walk-thru Haunted House on Strates was built by Bruno Zacchini, Jr.
"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

The two trailer walk-thru Haunted House was Jackie Norman's, wasn't it? It showed up around 1977. It was very effective when they put it on a dark road with some trees around it. I think the guy who built it built two because I saw a similar one on Reithoffer's in the mid 80's. One of then was built using 2 beer trailers. You could see where "Budweiser" had been removed from the back side of the trailers.

That thing could win some pretty serious money at the right spots. Wasn't much to it inside, but with a half-dozen spooks in full costumes, it was a pretty good operation.

I know Jack Norman was handling it, I thought Strates owned it. I always got the impression it was just something for Jack to do. What a great guy he was. Some of the f'n stories that guy had about the "good old days" and the way he talked would have me rolling...

Ride the Zipper?

I think Mike Scott was was moving the Wicked Witch on Strates for the Zucchinis when I met him.

Back then Strates had an Alpine Slide, a Glass House and a two-trailer Haunted House. He must have gotten the German fun house in the early ‘80s.

Did he get it from Lester Colgrove maybe?

Ride the Zipper?
Originally Posted by: JW 

Although the topic is about unusual and unique dark rides, I suppose we can include Fun Houses (?)

A unique fun house that comes to mind is one that was built in 1997 for Fiesta Shows. It's called, "EARTHQUAKE".

I never got to see the completed project in person. It was built in-house by Fiesta Shows, or so that's what I was told when I saw it being built in Feb. of 1997 at Fiesta Shows lot in Gibsonton, FL. However, Fiesta Shows' website mentions Southern as having involvement with it.
When I saw it in Florida in 1997, it was just being completed. The front wasn't painted on it yet, however I was told it was going to be turned over to Bill Browning to paint the front on it.

I wrote a short article about it that appeared in the April 1997 issue of Carousel Magazine.

The headline was, "Earthquake Hits Gibtown" (I liked that attention-grabbing headline I came up with).

Here are some excerpts from the article...

"An EARTHQUAKE has emerged in Gibsonton, Florida over the winter and is predicted to be a mover and shaker on Fiesta Shows this season.
This spring, New Hampshire based Fiesta Shows will debut a new fun house attraction that is sure to be a crowd stopper on the midway.
Themed "EARTHQUAKE", the one-trailer, double-deck unit is framed out to resemble a city skyline of skyscrapers and buildings in the midst of an active earthquake.
Portions of background scenery are hinged at the base and motorized to move forward and backward, giving the illusion of buildings swaying. Other rooms and walkways rock from side to side.
The "EARTHQUAKE" sign, built to resemble a huge slab supported by columns on each side, is animated to simulate the columns collapsing and the slab breaking in half.
Show owner Eugene Dean pointed out that to add to the realism, the attraction will also feature "some interesting sound and lighting effects". For example one room will have strobe lighting.

I assume Fiesta Shows still has this fun house as there are photos of it on their website...

http://fiestashows.com/rides/byid/387 

Sure lets talk Fun Houses as well, I remember that story in Carnival/Carousel years ago, thanks for giving us more information on that Earthquake fun house, very unique.

I remember one called Thor, shape and size was a lot like the Thriller (same company built as well I think). I didn't go in, but had a nice front, only saw it once right beside a Thriller.

Fun House wise, I always liked Strates big German Fun House (Hofbraus House, not sure of spelling), also like the Persian Camels.

Loved the Magic Carpet/Alpine Slide type fun houses.
Originally Posted by: JW 

Absolutely.
Mike and his nephew, Scotty Stevens ran a first class operation (complete with live actor(s) and had a great presentation.

I liked the original BrOwning front on that ride.

In 1988, mike Scott debuted a second dark ride on Strates Shows themed, Demon's Dungeon. That ride had a front that was painted by doc Rivera.

Yes, they ran a first class operation without a doubt. I remember that Demon's Dungeon, seems like it had Freddy Kruger on somewhere. I only saw it a few years before it disappeared, did it not make money, or just decide to switch up?
Although the topic is about unusual and unique dark rides, I suppose we can include Fun Houses (?)

A unique fun house that comes to mind is one that was built in 1997 for Fiesta Shows. It's called, "EARTHQUAKE".

I never got to see the completed project in person. It was built in-house by Fiesta Shows, or so that's what I was told when I saw it being built in Feb. of 1997 at Fiesta Shows lot in Gibsonton, FL. However, Fiesta Shows' website mentions Southern as having involvement with it.
When I saw it in Florida in 1997, it was just being completed. The front wasn't painted on it yet, however I was told it was going to be turned over to Bill Browning to paint the front on it.

I wrote a short article about it that appeared in the April 1997 issue of Carousel Magazine.

The headline was, "Earthquake Hits Gibtown" (I liked that attention-grabbing headline I came up with).

Here are some excerpts from the article...

"An EARTHQUAKE has emerged in Gibsonton, Florida over the winter and is predicted to be a mover and shaker on Fiesta Shows this season.
This spring, New Hampshire based Fiesta Shows will debut a new fun house attraction that is sure to be a crowd stopper on the midway.
Themed "EARTHQUAKE", the one-trailer, double-deck unit is framed out to resemble a city skyline of skyscrapers and buildings in the midst of an active earthquake.
Portions of background scenery are hinged at the base and motorized to move forward and backward, giving the illusion of buildings swaying. Other rooms and walkways rock from side to side.
The "EARTHQUAKE" sign, built to resemble a huge slab supported by columns on each side, is animated to simulate the columns collapsing and the slab breaking in half.
Show owner Eugene Dean pointed out that to add to the realism, the attraction will also feature "some interesting sound and lighting effects". For example one room will have strobe lighting.

I assume Fiesta Shows still has this fun house as there are photos of it on their website...

http://fiestashows.com/rides/byid/387 
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Let's not forget what a great job Mike Scott did with making that such a great operation. It was a nice piece, but the operation made it great.

Absolutely.
Mike and his nephew, Scotty Stevens ran a first class operation (complete with live actor(s) and had a great presentation.

I liked the original BrOwning front on that ride.

In 1988, mike Scott debuted a second dark ride on Strates Shows themed, Demon's Dungeon. That ride had a front that was painted by doc Rivera.