Post a reply
Security Image:
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

it would seem by the record gross that there could be a lesson learned by that this year, meaning it might be time for Strates to purchase their own Skywheel again and a Wild Mouse, also refurb the Top Spin and perhaps see these record gross revenues at more of their spots

I don't believe Strates will bring a Sky Wheel back out again, would love to see it, but I think that ship has sailed, although he might continue to book them from time to time.

Maybe they are restoring the Top Spin, saw on their FB page they were fooling around with some LED lights and I figure as long as they still have the train its a possibility, but if they ever drop the train the Top Spin is out. I believe that center load weighs in at about 150,000 pounds, way to heavy for the road without expensive permits.

Now a Wild/Crazy Mouse, yeah would like to see them get one of those for sure.
it would seem by the record gross that there could be a lesson learned by that this year, meaning it might be time for Strates to purchase their own Skywheel again and a Wild Mouse, also refurb the Top Spin and perhaps see these record gross revenues at more of their spots
Its great to hear they broke attendance/revenue records at the fair this year.

There is an interesting video on the Fair FB page with someone riding a golf cart around this morning early during tear down after sun up (sorry unable to post link).

Help must be bad this year, some of the bigger rides were still a good ways along on tear down, looked the Pirate hadn't even been touched save for a few parts. But I am sure the experienced folks over there will get her done and ready to open in Vermont.

You can see a lot of rides racked already, taking down the Giant Wheel towers, T-Bolt, Music Express, and Himi about half way or more, Strates coaster had a lot down as well, most kiddies packed up.
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

News article in Sunday August 18 Buffalo News about Erie County Fair Sky Wheel:

https://buffalonews.com/...rce=home&utm_medium= 

Yeah, good story and Sky Wheel seems as if it was a major hit, article said long lines during the fair. Maybe in the future Strates can bring it back every now and then, although the FB page said as of right now this was a one time special.
News article in Sunday August 18 Buffalo News about Erie County Fair Sky Wheel:

https://buffalonews.com/...rce=home&utm_medium= 

The SkyWheel not only looks great, it's great to ride too. The boom is a little slower than the wheels so you get a little different ride every time around.
Hurry, hurry, Sunday is the last day. Don't know where or when it will operate next.

It surprises a lot of people what a thrill-ride it is, but particularly if they've never ridden it and you don't get the "drop" until the fourth time around. They're often expecting a Ferris wheel experience...

Another fun ride to run if the console is on the trailer and you don't have to buck tubs. Bucking tubs is fun too (hand's down best leg-shots on the midway) but not if you have to do both...
Ride the Zipper?
The SkyWheel not only looks great, it's great to ride too. The boom is a little slower than the wheels so you get a little different ride every time around.
Hurry, hurry, Sunday is the last day. Don't know where or when it will operate next.

SkyWheel with Strates has white LED tubes on the rims. All the green and yellow tubes on the structure are the old fluorescents. The signs have red LED pucks.

Thanks Bill P.

I also noticed they don't remove the LED lights from the rim irons while they are racked. Guess it saves some time and work by doing this...
This may be the reason for NO stars in the wheels (more time and work)...

Looks like the bull wheel and truss rods are the only lights that have to be put on and removed during set-up and racking. No way to get around that, unless you don't put them on!

No matter what its a GREAT looking Sky Wheel and glad its on the road!!!
SkyWheel with Strates has white LED tubes on the rims. All the green and yellow tubes on the structure are the old fluorescents. The signs have red LED pucks.
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Yeah I remember when the inspectors starting requiring sleeves and we had to cable tie/tape the tubes as well, hated taping, cable ties that are trimmed always looks more professional.

On the Strates tubes, did he have a machine to make the lights, or did he just buy them. Thought I heard somewhere that RAS had their own machine, but that may have not been correct.

As I understand it, way back the big shows all had there own neon shops, but I don’t think anyone made their own fluorescents.

If you think about it, back in the day, every sign shop was doing custom neon, so there was a lot of talent around.

Neon is much more art than equipment...

Ride the Zipper?