Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Another option would be a battery pack up under the roof. I assume you thought of it, but just throwing it out there. That's how TJ had the lights done on the Wave Swingers and it seems to work ok.

Glad to see your working on another project Matt! Yeah, things around here are pretty dead anymore. I really like message boards over facebook, but what are you gonna do 🙂
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Look up Commutator, not commentator.

But what if he want to know about Dan Rather? I trust spell check too much.
The system I use frequently is to build the commutator into the drive shaft. I use different size brass tubes to do this. You can start with a 1/4 inch brass tube and the next size down that fits into it I think is eighter 7/32 or 3/16 anyway that is the first set of tubes for one electrical connection. Next moving to the center you need a plastic tube to insulate the first connection from the second. Put a solid brass rod inside the plastic and this is your second connection. You then have it slide into a brass tube to make the connection on the other side. send me your email and I will send you a picture.

carnivalkits@aol.com

Rich
Watch if you google just commutator. I got somewhat similar concept but the images were mostly DC motors. Try "slip ring commutator".
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Look up Commutator, not commentator.
In the glory days of this forum by now you would have had several replies. Some would have ridiculed you and the rest would have told you about brushes and slip rings.

The tower has stationary insulated rings of brass, and the rotating part has hunks of carbon called brushes that rub against it to transfer the power to what moves. That's oversimplified, but you get the idea. Google commentator for more.

Your "slipknot" concept is interesting. I would have never thought of it.
Hello - I am working on a model carousel and am trying to add lights to it. However, was wondering how do rides rotate without getting their positive/negative wires tangled? I'm presuming most use some sort of copper "slip knot" connection?

Just was curious on what the proper term for the mechanism or technique may be so I can research it more. Any pictures or direction to the "real thing" would be appreciated! Thanks.