Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I LOVE model trains!!!!

1 time I saw one AS BIG AS WHOLE ROOM!!!!!!
Originally Posted by: skydiver77 

I've had several different train sets myself growing up and in the recent years as well. I've always been fascinated with railroad tracks and where they go to, especially abandoned railroad tracks, and the ones with weeds growing up around them. I've had the Bachmann brand train sets as well as the ones in the 80's Tyco made. I would used to stack VHS tapes up and make tunnels for the track / train to pass through. Talking about it, is getting me into the fever again. [8d] I've also seen where some people on youtube have built actual small scale model trains where you can ride on in your backyard. ...Kinda like the train on that 80's sitcom Silver Spoons with Ricky Schroeder. I've been to a few train shows in the past and it's pretty neat to see actual working crossing guards and mountain-like tunnels for the trains to pass through. Has anyone here done up a James E. Strates Shows train or Royal American Shows train to run around their carnival / fair layout? That'd be pretty cool to see.

All I know is the model railroad enthusiasts put every effort into making their layouts very detailed and to look as real as can be. I can't say the same for carnival layouts. About 99% look like crap with no people, realistic looking grass and dirt or they are all boxes side by side to each other. I'd much rather see a model railroad at least from what I have seen on this website.

I know this an old post but I just joined and I am slowly working my way through all of the posts. I am into both trains and carnivals. I have been collecting trains now for going on 50 years in April and have a wide range of Engines, cars, buildings, etc. I currently have everything in storage for I live in a one bedroom apt. My models are all HO scale.
Modelingrick
I enjoy model trains, my Dad is really into it and is getting ready to finally start building his HO-scale layout, which will be based on the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad between Ishpeming and Marquette in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (iron ore), including an ore dock and ore carrier loading. He subscribes to Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman magazines and the level of detail you see in folks' layouts is simply amazing. Just unreal sometimes.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
My dad owned a hobby shop that specialized in model trains for almost 50 years. So me or my dad has extensive train items including HO scale, O Scale (2 Rail), G Scale, S Scale (my dad's original train sets from when he was a kid), actual railroad artifacts (lanterns, maps, headlight off a steam engine, whistles, signs, etc.), and probably a little of everything else. Also at my parents is a 7 1/2" gauge engine and some track we started to put down in their yard. My dad even went as far in the 80s to buy a full size railroad work speeder that he was restoring but sold it around 1990.

My goal is to someday have a large HO scale model railroad.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Same here!!!

I've been doing model trains since I was 5 years old! My parents gave me a 30+ car Walthers Circus train set when I was 8 years old... (I recently refurbished it) This was actually the precursor to my Carnival models.... I got late issue 1990s Walthers catalogs and I started with IHC then migrated to Faller, RAH and Cummons. I am still very active in model railroading. Currently in the planning stages for a 1950's era C&O/Western Maryland layout. I also have quite a bit of Bachmann stuff!
I've had several different train sets myself growing up and in the recent years as well. I've always been fascinated with railroad tracks and where they go to, especially abandoned railroad tracks, and the ones with weeds growing up around them. I've had the Bachmann brand train sets as well as the ones in the 80's Tyco made. I would used to stack VHS tapes up and make tunnels for the track / train to pass through. Talking about it, is getting me into the fever again. [8d] I've also seen where some people on youtube have built actual small scale model trains where you can ride on in your backyard. ...Kinda like the train on that 80's sitcom Silver Spoons with Ricky Schroeder. I've been to a few train shows in the past and it's pretty neat to see actual working crossing guards and mountain-like tunnels for the trains to pass through. Has anyone here done up a James E. Strates Shows train or Royal American Shows train to run around their carnival / fair layout? That'd be pretty cool to see.