Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Helped move a Non-Folding Round Up many years ago with the Show that I was with. It was probably one of the oldest of the 32-Person versions. I didn't have to handle it much, because it was usually over on the other Unit. Like JustJeff said, you had to build a Platform to kick the Cages off of the Trailer while Pinning/ Taking off Sweeps from the Center. We used both sets of Stairs, and two Rails that racked on the side of the Trailer during Transport for the Cage Platform. The hardest part of the ride was getting the Cages on/ off the ride from the Platform, which was maybe a Foot difference between the two. Everything else was Straight Forward with little to no Double-Handling of anything.

Even though it was the Non-Folding Version, a Good crew could still have it down quick, keeping up with the Hurricane when they did happen to be on the same Lot.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
Remember watching a kid do tricks on a Super Round Up one night many years ago. He turned sideways, upside down etc. A large crowd gathered to watch. Can't let anyone do that nowdays. Probably weren't supposed to let them do it back then either but it sure drew a crowd.
Kind of funny story about Round ups (to me anyway lol)===I ran a Round Up for Teddy Bartosik back in early 80s---(B and B ride Company out of Amsterdam New York)

Of course I learned how to set up and tear down said Round -Up...I always thought that it was an easy ride cuz it pretty much folded itself up after pulling off the dividers between the sweeps etc....One guy could tear down in an hour or so --might need a hand for a couple of things ,but pretty much an easy ride..

Well a few years back JCJ (Johnny Jinright) was at a spot here in Pasco Fl and I helped tear down one night as green help...We did the Scrambler first which went smooth cuz that was my ride that I broke in on and I knew it like the back of my hand and while they racked it differently it still came apart the same...No problem--

Then we jumped on the Round up---I figured we would be done in no time,but was mistaken cuz it was a different style...We built a platform to hold the cages as they come off and then reracked them after the ride was folded...lol the alternative was lowering the cages to the ground and handing them back up afterward...So while it was still a lot more work than the one I was used to,the temporary platform we built to hold the cages till they were ready to be put away was a heck of a good plan...

When talking about it on here afterward I found out from my good bud Tony Doty that this was the way it was usually done and the fold up one that I was used to was actually the exception--He said the way I did it with Jinright was the way they did it for years til the true Foldup version came out-Go Figure...lol

Moral---No matter how close you think you are to being done on teardown night---don't bet on it--LOL You may be in for a surprise....Oh yeah did I mention we pulled wire after,cuz he let his regular help head back to the shop,and let us "greenies" pull wire till dawn..LOL I thought I missed it till that night...jeff
I remember too riding the Round Up on AofA's midway one time at the Greenville County Fair. Most of the ride was pretty normal, nice R-Up with white/purple colors/lights.

Then at the end he dropped that thing so fast it took my stomach, fastest drop on a R-Up that I have ever felt. I mean your in the air all the way and then flat on the trailer before a complete a turn.
Originally Posted by: skydiver77 

I was looking at a youtube video of the Enterprise last night (one overseas on a show) and the operator did just that, lowered it like it was going down, and gave riders another ride back up for another min. or two before lowering for good. As for people puking, you'd think they'd know better by now NOT to eat before riding something. One more thing, one of my grandmothers that passed said back in the day, they called the Round Up the " Pop Whip ". Her and my aunt rode it back in the early 60's. She said she'd never again ride it, it must've scared her back then. lol I've seen some Round Ups go half-way up, and some all the way up like a Huss Enterprise. Can all Round Ups go all the way up, or is it up to the operator how high they want it to go? ..just curious.

I remember as well when I used to ride Strates Enterprise back in the mid 80s they would do the same during the grind times, raise it up, lower half way, then back up again.

On the Huss TriStar, they wouldn't always raise it all the way the first time, then a little back down, then way up on the second lift, caught you off guard sometimes, it had a pretty good angle on it.
I was looking at a youtube video of the Enterprise last night (one overseas on a show) and the operator did just that, lowered it like it was going down, and gave riders another ride back up for another min. or two before lowering for good. As for people puking, you'd think they'd know better by now NOT to eat before riding something. One more thing, one of my grandmothers that passed said back in the day, they called the Round Up the " Pop Whip ". Her and my aunt rode it back in the early 60's. She said she'd never again ride it, it must've scared her back then. lol I've seen some Round Ups go half-way up, and some all the way up like a Huss Enterprise. Can all Round Ups go all the way up, or is it up to the operator how high they want it to go? ..just curious.
Round up with no cages then added Zipper tubs that's what started a Chaos!
We have a folding round up on our show. Always the second major ride down behind the zipper.
There was a little show called Mo Shows around here a few years back. They pulled onto the lot with an old light blue & white non-folding Round-Up. All the cages were removed from the sweeps and all the sweeps were removed from the spindle. Appeared to have a few miles on it.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Thought I might get a topic going on Round-Ups. I worked one back in my days with Childress. At first we had an older model where you had to remove each cage and rack on the trailer. I never touched that one, but did on the folding Round-Up.

I enjoyed running the ride pretty much and tear down/set-up wasn't bad if you knew what were doing. We had all the scenery on ours, even the feathers on the crown. Had lights on the outside, but not around the top outside. No exit on back, just front.

When I had a good crowd or load, loved to bring it about half way down and let them think it was over and then take it back up again.

Only had one thing that I remember as bad. Got "hit" with puke one time, had a really bad headache that night and that just made it worse.

Nothing else big besides the few kids that would get scared and try to "sit down" and you would have to yell at them as they came by to "stand up".

Did see one kid change positions one time on our Round Up while it was in the air from across the midway. The crazy things kids will do, he didn't get hurt, but got kicked off the midway.

Oh, and we used to pull an umbrella behind the Round Up and we were pulling out of town one time and headed up hill. I was following pulling a load and next thing I knew the umbrella was headed back down the hill towards me. It turned to the left right into a service station, didn't hit a thing, and parked it self.