Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: secret.squirrel 

I have one of those trailers (with the gantry - makes life nice) - and the sweeps are my problem. I've got the narrow-base sweeps - that's why I want to eliminate some end weight (which should reduce the side-to-side end forces on the sweep mounts at the center (this reducing the stresses and cracks on the sweeps) --

It would depend on what States that you operate in if they would allow some type of conversion. The Original Mfg is no longer in business SO I would just get with an engineer that works with metals and have them come up with some design for you to follow. That way you've done your due diligence and you would have actual paper on the ride then. It may cost a couple of grand but I think that it would take care of what your wanting to do. We had a double tubed puss for one season and we got rid of it because it was just too much to move - even with the Hombres. The guy I sold it to has a much bigger route and he has had to have the center completely rebuilt twice now in three years - and it's mainly due to the fact that it's too damned heavy. Some of those rides were not built for POP's.

Geewizz66
Originally Posted by: tiltcharles 

Have you seen the ones with the gantry mounted on the trailer? Does yours have those wide sweeps? That would be great for those pop fairs like you say.

I have one of those trailers (with the gantry - makes life nice) - and the sweeps are my problem. I've got the narrow-base sweeps - that's why I want to eliminate some end weight (which should reduce the side-to-side end forces on the sweep mounts at the center (this reducing the stresses and cracks on the sweeps) --

Have you seen the ones with the gantry mounted on the trailer? Does yours have those wide sweeps? That would be great for those pop fairs like you say.
Originally Posted by: tiltcharles 

I agree on the one car per sweep. If you dropped 3 sweeps the stresses on the other sweeps would still be there mainly at the base like usual. Only thing is you would have to cut the sweep ends and reweld for just one short arm to be parallel to the sweep or does it matter?

I wonder if you could rack a 6car spider with sweep, short arm, and tub all together?

That was my theory - find out about modifying the 'stub-sweep' so that it is in line with the main sweep - eliminate the 'vee' and the second stub-sweep - setup/teardown wise i don't see it as much matter the way this one's racked it's pretty quick to move. I don't like octopi/spiders in general, but with the extra worries on spider sweeps, I'm wanting to eliminate as much load off them as possible - I think it would extent the life and lower the maintenance all the way around...

Bout to just sell the damned thing down to Mexico to be honest...
I agree on the one car per sweep. If you dropped 3 sweeps the stresses on the other sweeps would still be there mainly at the base like usual. Only thing is you would have to cut the sweep ends and reweld for just one short arm to be parallel to the sweep or does it matter?

I wonder if you could rack a 6car spider with sweep, short arm, and tub all together?
Originally Posted by: ringmaster 

Could leave off 3 primary sweeps, and put on the new style pillow blocks on the others, or find a set off Puss sweeps.

Was thinking the Octopus sweep concept but the only set I have spare is the solid type ( = not usable) --

The real issue is I just want to change over the double sweep ends (for two cars) with one sweep end/single car :)

Could leave off 3 primary sweeps, and put on the new style pillow blocks on the others, or find a set off Puss sweeps.
Looking for some information - hoping Flamo and some of the other old-schooler's will see this.

I've got a 6/sweep-12/tub Spider - What I want to do is eliminate 6 of the tubs and just have a 6/sweep-6/tub model. It's got the sweeps that constantly need attention and I'm trying to eliminate some of the stresses by dumping half the weight from the end of the sweeps. It's going to be a space-filler mainly on POP spots - otherwise it'll be on the truck (so I won't miss the lost revenue). I'm sure it's been done - and am just looking for any information/tips/notes before we start...

Thanks!