Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

I grew up near there... I am sure that Meijer will be closed in a few years. A company can only handle so much loss and theft.

I know it is dishearting when you go back and see the downturn of the area. I can imagine in it's day that was a great place to go to a fair. that Meijer store seemed out of place with all the other buildings being run down but there were some areas that seemed to be ok.

Originally Posted by: TrafficJam 

I was able to get to the Michigan State Fair today in Novi. I thought the fair was excellent! It had all of the characteristics of the old state fair, just on a slightly smaller scale. However, the grounds were extremely clean, the fair staff was very helpful and courteous, and the fair was very easy to get to right off I 96 outside of Detroit and parking was easy (parking was $5). It was located at the Suburban Collection Showplace, a huge complex of exhibit buildings.

I felt everything was a pretty good deal. For $25 in advance ($30 at the door) you got fair admission, unlimited rides, and admission to the Shriners Circus. If you didn't want to ride or go to the circus admission was $6 advance/$8 at the door. We felt the circus was excellent, under the big top by the Zerbini Family. There were also pig races, plenty of livestock exhibits, a petting zoo, commercial exhibits, still life/agriculture exhibits, entertainment, and the butter cows.

Arnold's looked great, they had a full midway which included over 30 rides: two fun slides, two Eli Wheels just like in Tampa, go gator, super trucks, helicopters, hillbilly train, inflate fire dog bounce house, pirate inflate slide, wacky shack fun house, 2 Hamp rides, dizzy dragons, Mardigras fun house, NASCAR speedway, merry go round, paratrooper, family swing, elephants, Pharaoh's Fury, Crazy Dance, Orbiter, Zipper, bumper cars, Kreppy Castle, 1001 Nights, sizzler, tilt, drop tower, tornado, Area 51, and Bear Affair. There also were numerous games (water race, roll a derby, hi strikers, duck pond, fishy fishy, break a bottle, balloon store and several others), Euro Bungy, and food units including grab, pizza, elephant ears, popper, and lemonade. Independent food was limited, so I was glad to see food was not overbooked.

Crowds were strong today, We were a part of lines at the door, food, and rides. But the venue was big enough where my kids were able to move through the midway quickly and lines moved fast. Overall I thought the steering committee did a great job and sounds like they have a lot of plans to continue to expand the fair in the future. We had a lot of fun at the new Michigan State Fair!

Was there Saturday until about 9pm and had a great time. Bought tickets in advance before leaving home so didn't have to stand in line. Got there and found out advance sales had to be redeemed inside the main building so the walk there and then the walk through the very smelly building to the midway was actually longer then the wait in line would have been.

Agree that Arnold's had a nice lineup and everything looked great. Large assortment of show and independent food. Unfortunately I believe there will be a significant drop in attendance from last year. Not nearly as long lines and not sure why. Weather certainly wasn't a factor. If I remember correctly ticket prices were the same also.
I grew up near there... I am sure that Meijer will be closed in a few years. A company can only handle so much loss and theft.
When I was last there four years ago for the last fair, parts of the grounds were really being let go such as some of the buildings, parking areas, and asphalt. Now it is said the state still spends $1 million to maintain the grounds (not sure how this is being spent as the grounds are really now in disrepair), until a developer takes it over (Magic Johnson's group "Magic Plus"). They did open a Meijer grocery store on the north-west corner of the property on 8 mile in July, but I believe that section of the property was never used for the fair or might have just been for extra parking. The primary area of the grounds is still vacant.

we went past the old Michigan State fairgrounds a few weeks ago and that area is in a state of disgust and disarray. what a shame. glad to see it revived and Arnold's is a real nice show and I enjoyed talking to Mr. Ivan Arnold while in Michigan.
I was able to get to the Michigan State Fair today in Novi. I thought the fair was excellent! It had all of the characteristics of the old state fair, just on a slightly smaller scale. However, the grounds were extremely clean, the fair staff was very helpful and courteous, and the fair was very easy to get to right off I 96 outside of Detroit and parking was easy (parking was $5). It was located at the Suburban Collection Showplace, a huge complex of exhibit buildings.

I felt everything was a pretty good deal. For $25 in advance ($30 at the door) you got fair admission, unlimited rides, and admission to the Shriners Circus. If you didn't want to ride or go to the circus admission was $6 advance/$8 at the door. We felt the circus was excellent, under the big top by the Zerbini Family. There were also pig races, plenty of livestock exhibits, a petting zoo, commercial exhibits, still life/agriculture exhibits, entertainment, and the butter cows.

Arnold's looked great, they had a full midway which included over 30 rides: two fun slides, two Eli Wheels just like in Tampa, go gator, super trucks, helicopters, hillbilly train, inflate fire dog bounce house, pirate inflate slide, wacky shack fun house, 2 Hamp rides, dizzy dragons, Mardigras fun house, Zamperla Crazy Bus, NASCAR speedway, merry go round, paratrooper, family swing, elephants, Pharaoh's Fury, Crazy Dance, Orbiter, Zipper, bumper cars, Kreppy Castle, 1001 Nights, sizzler, tilt, drop tower, tornado, Area 51, and Bear Affair. There also were numerous games (water race, roll a derby, hi strikers, duck pond, fishy fishy, break a bottle, balloon store and several others), Euro Bungy, and food units including grab, pizza, elephant ears, popper, and lemonade. Independent food was limited, so I was glad to see food was not overbooked.

Crowds were strong today, We were a part of lines at the door, food, and rides. But the venue was big enough where my kids were able to move through the midway quickly and lines moved fast. Overall I thought the steering committee did a great job and sounds like they have a lot of plans to continue to expand the fair in the future. We had a lot of fun at the new Michigan State Fair!
The Michigan State Fair is back. After being cancelled by the governor a few years ago, a private group brought back a new event, the Great Lakes State Fair last year, but this year it will be known as the Michigan State Fair. The fair will be in Novi. Arnold Amusements will be providing the midway. It looks like a lot of the great events of the fair of the past in Detroit are back such as the butter cow, the endless glass of milk, livestock shows, the pie eating contest, Shrine Circus, entertainment and more. Is anyone going? Looks like a full weekend of events. www.michiganstatefairllc.com . The Upper Pennisula State Fair is also now run as a non profit and was a few weeks ago in Escanaba, with Skerbecks on the midway. Glad these two great fairs live on!