Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by IndianaTED

I asked for knowledge of anything else in AB. I think that if they print it, then it is pretty legit. I mean, they have a reputation to be concerned about too.

In print all information is edited, condensed...print publication is heavily controlled. And for all the reasons mentioned above, good and bad.

There's less control online. MCW protects their reputation too, but this is a community-driven project. WE'RE the community, we want to participate and it's accessible to us: great news. The bad news is that in being equally-accessible, it's accessible to informed experts as democratically as to - huh huh [}:)] - "experts" in their own minds. That is, everyone.

Middle ground is the responsibility of all post authors. We all know the parameters and policies of the site: we agreed to them. Any board would have the same challenges re: 'legitimate info'. Unless we want each post to be individually screened by moderators - as do print publishers, deciding who has enough fact and coherance to actually appear here, limiting the voice (let's face it, most of us would get no airtime at all) - we'll continue to self-mediate.

Like one
Big
HAPPY
Family

right? [;)]

Peace + Love = Information
I dunno, it seems to have perked up a bit around here the last couple of days.[:D] Maybe because of this topic?!?!?!?[;)][;)]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Sue,
I know of at least two show owners that are over 50 and are very much "in tune" with the fact that a "web site" is a must have. I think if they know that much, then they would know enough to be able to use an on line publication for "immediate" news. I think all one has to do is look at the number of show websites popping up...heck Matt is now up to what..a. dozen or so? While I would agree that simply because a show owner decides he/she needs a website, that doesn't mean they know how to use a computer, I'd venture to say that most of them who have websites at least know enough to log on and see what is on their site and check their email.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

So sorry to have opened this can of worms. Never mind.

I do not think you did anything wrong, this has been a very lively and intelligent discussion for the most part, I have enjoyed reading it, even though I personally do not have a lot to offer the discussion, other than what I already posted at the beginning. I think it is fine that you brought up the subject. [^]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
So sorry to have opened this can of worms. Never mind.
SLOW DOWN GRUBBIES - you guys get all hot and bothered over nothing... The point of that was that if you want to reference something from the AB, you atleast need to put what issue it was in, so other people can have the opportunity to check it out incase accusations start flying...
Another thing everyone needs to remember is what was talked about- liability. As Lance said, you need to have proof if you make statements that could hurt a show's reputation. I would add to that it is important to have a bankroll behind this. Like it or not you can be sued...even if what you say is true. Once a new website is started talking about events it is important to have the legal funds because a proverbial can of worms is opened and whoever is behind the news website can lose everything relating to the website. In addition, I would venture to say that the one reason AB has lasted for as long as it has is because it knows that while there is a seedy underbelly to our industry, if (for the most part) only the rosy of the carnival industry is shown you keep friends. It is not perfect, but in a limited industry it has become the norm. If the magazine has a muckraking feel to it (even if combined with hard news) eventually enough people will be p*ssed of and battle against it. Like it or not, I don't believe that a news pub. that runs even-keel can survive in the carnival industry.

Adam
www.flatrides.com : Pimp-slapping you with all your flat ride needs.
I've been driving for a few days so just got back to this site to read. One thing I can add is that the younger generation of showmen is very computer savvy and more interested in online that perhaps their parents/grandparents who are used to reading print publications and don't think they need the immediate news from the internet. But for future growth, this is where it's at.
and if you checked into AB's subscription numbers over the years they have gone way down. From about 12000 plus ten years ago to less than 8000 now I believe. You could look it up and get the exact numbers. They have to be printed in one of the October issues by postal law. (I worked ther 13+ years until 2001.)
Anyway, it is an interesting discussion and one that I would like to see continued.
Quote:

quote:

I just don't know how anyone can "PROVE" anything on a chat page.

Do we need to show reciepts to prove we bought stuff.lol
And if any of you can "PROVE" I did'nt do it will you be my lawyer?......lol
It is a fine line, but it all depends on what is said.

"xyz show has just purchased a new G5 Tilt" doesn't really require proof, but

"xyz shows has just lost the contract to abc county fair" on the other hand does.

It all boils down to whether or not the information can in some way be detrimental to the show involved.

Da Bair

UserPostedImage