Post a reply
Security Image:
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I just seem to remember him telling me it was all wiped out by Hurricane Hazel in the 60's or whenever that was. We just sort of rode around. Seems like there was some guy close to there that had a ride or two stored in a metal building that we stopped and looked at but I can't remember who it was...I think I have a cap from the guy somewhere....older gentleman and I can't even remember the rides....
Originally Posted by: Jackpotter 

This was a big span bridge that I think went over the inter-coastal waterway....would it have been Topsail? It really wasn't far from North Myrtle...

Ocean Isle then. Topsail is north of Wilmington. Holden would be further away from Myrtle than Ocean Isle. They have had the big span for many years. some people I know were killed there when their boat struck some wire and pilings when the bridge was being constructed over the inland waterway.

Originally Posted by: britt 

most likely Ocean Isle or Holden as when he was alive there was still a floating turn bridge at Sunset. Bossman was one of a kind.

This was a big span bridge that I think went over the inter-coastal waterway....would it have been Topsail? It really wasn't far from North Myrtle...

Never been to myrtle beach,but plan to.Maybe this summer.My daughter(11yo)wants to cause of that silly show---lol

most likely Ocean Isle or Holden as when he was alive there was still a floating turn bridge at Sunset. Bossman was one of a kind.
Originally Posted by: britt 

you need to come up north some. up to north myrtle and up into the southeastern nc beaches if you peace and quiet. sunset is as laid back as any beach in the carolinas and only a short drive to other more exciting places.

We always have stayed in North Myrtle (usually the Windy Hill section but also Cresent Beach too). Even still the traffic was a nightmare. I remember one year Bossman met me and took me to breakfast and we went for a drive across the NC State Line to a beach (can't remember the name of it, but went across a big bridge to get to it) and he was telling me how it was wiped out during Hurricane Hazel I think back in the day...it wasn't too far from his house...

That was the day he pulled up to pick me up at the condo in a little white Chevrolet Cavalier that he could barely fit into and had his Inspectors Badge, which was as big as the dang center console, laying in the middle between the seats. I guess he was a funeral home inspector according to his obituary but for some reason I thought he was with the Dept of Revenue....

Have just kinda gotten hooked on Gulf Shores because it's actually an easier drive...straight shot down I65 and only about 8 hours...and it's a much slower pace.

Actually this summer I'm taking my girls and we are driving to West Palm Beach and hopping on a ship and spending a night on the ship, four nights in the Bahamas and then a night on the ship home. We're gonna stay somewhere down in South Beach on the day before we leave so they can visit the high end shops and maybe spot a celeb or two and eat somewhere like Prime 112...

you need to come up north some. up to north myrtle and up into the southeastern nc beaches if you peace and quiet. sunset is as laid back as any beach in the carolinas and only a short drive to other more exciting places.
I've been one time to Myrtle Beach since they removed the Pavilion....before that I'd been every year from 1976 to somewhere around 2000. I was so disappointed when they tore it all down and actually had a sick feeling in my stomach standing there looking at the empty lot. I doubt I'll ever go back to Myrtle Beach. The magic and charm of the downtown area, regardless of a Boardwalk and whatever else just isn't the same as it was during those years. Add to that the massive crowds and terrible traffic all up and down the Grand Strand and it's just easier and more relaxing to go to Gulf Shores or somewhere where it is way less crowded.

no carnival in myrtle beach. Strates decided not to pursue the adventure. www.myrtlebeachonline.com