Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Actually Conklin provided the midway at SC State Fair with Cumberland Valley as book-on and yes, the Gondolas on the Giant Wheel did rotate until they were repainted and locked for the 1980 season.
Kenny.

If I'm not mistaken Cumberland Valley Shows provided the Giant Wheel at SC State Fair with rotating gondalas back when Conklin provided show here.
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Knoxville wheel went to Darien Lake Park in NY, didn't it?

Correct, Bill. Largest wheel in North America at the time.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Strates wheel was delivered in 1986. Delivered to Hamburg, NY except the tubs which were late. Wheel was partially erected at Hamburg that year and first operated at Syracuse [NYSF] which was the next spot.
Knoxville wheel went to Darien Lake Park in NY, didn't it?
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Kroon made Strates wheel didn't they?

Sign used to say 'InterFair Holland' on it. Related in one form or another to Kroon, from what I'm told.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Originally Posted by: Scott 

The company that built the Conklin and Deggeller wheel was "J. Bakker Denny" I may have spelled that wrong. They also built the Giant Wheel for the 84 Worlds Fair in Knoxville. (side note to that wheel.... the spokes fell off the ship on the way over and the mfg had to re-make them and then flew them into Knoxville in the belly of a giant plane where the whole front of the plane lifted up and the spokes pulled out.) On the Facebook group "Forgotten Rides" I posted several press releases for Conklin's rides and the wheel was one of them. I believe it's covered in that sheet. (You must be a member of the face book group to access it)

When Deggeller got their Wheel it came with an old truck that would not pass DOT regs. They finally agreed to let them take it from the port if Deggeller cut the truck up once they got it back to WQ's.

Deggellers Chance Giant Wheel was new in '93 and that was the year they sold off the other wheel

As for no lights on the wheel in Ohio... Conklins Giant Wheel's lights had to be put on after the wheel went up and they would strip them down the night before ( Crazy huh)

That would be J. Bakker-Denies BV, Scott. The 84 World's Fair wheel was actually built by Vekoma.

Kroon made Strates wheel didn't they?

The company that built the Conklin and Deggeller wheel was "J. Bakker Denny" I may have spelled that wrong. They also built the Giant Wheel for the 84 Worlds Fair in Knoxville. (side note to that wheel.... the spokes fell off the ship on the way over and the mfg had to re-make them and then flew them into Knoxville in the belly of a giant plane where the whole front of the plane lifted up and the spokes pulled out.) On the Facebook group "Forgotten Rides" I posted several press releases for Conklin's rides and the wheel was one of them. I believe it's covered in that sheet. (You must be a member of the face book group to access it)

When Deggeller got their Wheel it came with an old truck that would not pass DOT regs. They finally agreed to let them take it from the port if Deggeller cut the truck up once they got it back to WQ's.

Deggellers Chance Giant Wheel was new in '93 and that was the year they sold off the other wheel

As for no lights on the wheel in Ohio... Conklins Giant Wheel's lights had to be put on after the wheel went up and they would strip them down the night before ( Crazy huh)
Did United Shows have signs on their wheel too?