Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Thanks for the great info. Saw one once at the Miami Dade Youth Fair along with Conklins Rainbow.... Think is was Cumberland Valley's, but not sure.
Didn't Ray Cammack shows have one back in the 90's early 2000's as well? Thought i saw it at the Houston Livestock show one year.
Would you have any pictures of it racked? After seeing it was always curious how it was racked and how it looked racked. You could see the bases had the container type pins/clips on each corner.
Did the motor/electronics housing for the center/base sit on/at the back of the triaxle container frame trailer (like the Rainbow) or at the front?
Also, how was the center/based raised up to allow the allow the container frame trailer to go underneath?
Thanks
Originally Posted by: Drummer1973 

Greetings everyone, allow me to give you 1 st hand info on this beast 1001 nights - traveled on 4 loads - center load which had tri axles container frame with the weight was over 100,000 as my memory fades also the ship load was on a tandem frame , drop deck load which had the meat grinder ( connected the ship to main sweeps ) in addition to big portions of scenery with the puffy cloud with the sign 1001 Nights. A 45 ft dry van was used which contained our bunk house / big Cummins gen and the rear was separated for the rest of the scenery.
It took 8 men 2 days to get this piece up with a crane for the sweeps to attach to the center along with the 2 counter weights for the other end . This beast took about 20 hours to get down with a full crew. Lots and lots of platforms and lights with back wall scenery , the control room was sloughed with a top orange top with lights. The sound system was racked in a space case on wheels with the speakers which were huge for the back wall and on the deck that were Cerwin Vega which probably was the best during that time peroid.
This ride was imported into America in 1983 as set up at Adventure land amusement park owned by Willie Miller with Chip Cleary as manager. Unfortunately a severe thunder storm came through with lightning striking the ride causing lots of damage. This ride had a huge section in the back of the center load for the computer room which was the brains of the ride. After this unfortunate incident occurred, the ride from there on out was plague with problems which was an ongoing headache where ever this ride was set up. The very 1 st spot played was with Big A in Ottawa Canada. This piece ginned morning, noon and night. We would play about 4 state fairs with this piece. 1983 in Dallas Tx for the state fair , the company also owned a HUSS Enterprise which came apart slinging a tub in the midway. After time went on , this piece was sold to Deggeller which he took over and booked independently sometimes.
The center was bent in Canada which was repaired however the ride never went up the same . A lot of pieces had to be pried in place and became a total nightmare. The reason I have this info is I was the 1 st foreman on this ride as Scotty Henderson trained me as he had the Enterprise.
To my understanding, this was the 1001 to be imported into America during that time . For those who are curious about the seating arrangements, 1 side faced the other side also the opposite side faced the other side so riders on 1 side faced the riders on the other side.
For some unknown reason, we would have a lot of puers on board so a water hose was in big demand . I stayed for 2 years and moved back home in Ga as my carnie days came to a close. The center load had 4 arms which came out and went down on 4 pyramids and once raised high, you would pull out the frame along with the ship. It was very tough to get the frame to line up with both as you had to be right on the money to let both pieces down and remove the pyramids. Keep in mind that you had to back both trailers under the ship and center load which could be extremely aggravating especially after working non stop to get the ride down. The pyramids would rack on the end portion on the frame of the ship. Those were my once upon a time days .

Am I to understand that Amusements of America did have a Weber Carpet? Could it be the one from Continental Attractions? please read my Weber Carpet list:

https://sites.google.com/view/weber1001nacht 

And if anyone of you know other stuff please let me know -)
Is this the 1001 that Deggeller and/or CVS had that ended up in Knoebels Park? I think it had Louisiana State Fair inspection stickers on it at one time.
Originally Posted by: Drummer1973 

Greetings everyone, allow me to give you 1 st hand info on this beast 1001 nights - traveled on 4 loads - center load which had tri axles container frame with the weight was over 100,000 as my memory fades also the ship load was on a tandem frame , drop deck load which had the meat grinder ( connected the ship to main sweeps ) in addition to big portions of scenery with the puffy cloud with the sign 1001 Nights. A 45 ft dry van was used which contained our bunk house / big Cummins gen and the rear was separated for the rest of the scenery.
It took 8 men 2 days to get this piece up with a crane for the sweeps to attach to the center along with the 2 counter weights for the other end . This beast took about 20 hours to get down with a full crew. Lots and lots of platforms and lights with back wall scenery , the control room was sloughed with a top orange top with lights. The sound system was racked in a space case on wheels with the speakers which were huge for the back wall and on the deck that were Cerwin Vega which probably was the best during that time peroid.
This ride was imported into America in 1983 as set up at Adventure land amusement park owned by Willie Miller with Chip Cleary as manager. Unfortunately a severe thunder storm came through with lightning striking the ride causing lots of damage. This ride had a huge section in the back of the center load for the computer room which was the brains of the ride. After this unfortunate incident occurred, the ride from there on out was plague with problems which was an ongoing headache where ever this ride was set up. The very 1 st spot played was with Big A in Ottawa Canada. This piece ginned morning, noon and night. We would play about 4 state fairs with this piece. 1983 in Dallas Tx for the state fair , the company also owned a HUSS Enterprise which came apart slinging a tub in the midway. After time went on , this piece was sold to Deggeller which he took over and booked independently sometimes.
The center was bent in Canada which was repaired however the ride never went up the same . A lot of pieces had to be pried in place and became a total nightmare. The reason I have this info is I was the 1 st foreman on this ride as Scotty Henderson trained me as he had the Enterprise.
To my understanding, this was the 1001 to be imported into America during that time . For those who are curious about the seating arrangements, 1 side faced the other side also the opposite side faced the other side so riders on 1 side faced the riders on the other side.
For some unknown reason, we would have a lot of pukers on board so a water hose was in big demand . I stayed for 2 years and moved back home in Ga as my carnie days came to a close. The center load had 4 arms which came out and went down on 4 pyramids and once raised high, you would pull out the frame along with the ship. It was very tough to get the frame to line up with both as you had to be right on the money to let both pieces down and remove the pyramids. Keep in mind that you had to back both trailers under the ship and center load which could be extremely aggravating especially after working non stop to get the ride down. The pyramids would rack on the end portion on the frame of the ship. Those were my once upon a time days .

There was a 1001 that booked with Strates in the mid '80s, was this the same one?

I think (but I am not sure) the Strates bought the Tri-Star from the guy that owned the 1001.

I know dude had a 650KW Cat gen-set too.

Ride the Zipper?
For some unknown reason, we would have a lot of pukers on board so a water hose was in big demand . I stayed for 2 years and moved back home in Ga as my carnie days came to a close. The center load had 4 arms which came out and went down on 4 pyramids and once raised high, you would pull out the frame along with the ship. It was very tough to get the frame to line up with both as you had to be right on the money to let both pieces down and remove the pyramids. Keep in mind that you had to back both trailers under the ship and center load which could be extremely aggravating especially after working non stop to get the ride down. The pyramids would rack on the end portion on the frame of the ship. Those were my once upon a time days .
Well, wish it could have stayed and went back on the road here, but its understandable with the mechnical issue and # of loads.
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

HUSSRAINBOW,

I am not sure that Strates will be bringing the Rainbow back out, that might be the Pirate your thinking about (see current story on Matts).

The Rainbow just has to many problems since that accident. I spoke with Raul Hoffman a few years back and if I remember correctly he said that to use it, they would have to replace a certain part (in the tub I think) once a year which is very expensive, and that combined with the loads it takes and heavy set up/tear down I think it was sold at auction.

Maybe I am wrong and somebody can clear that up.

Sorry mate, I meant that Rainbow is in Australia, and will travel in 2013
UserPostedImage
Ok, Willdecide, my bad, thanks for the clarification.
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

HUSSRAINBOW,

I am not sure that Strates will be bringing the Rainbow back out, that might be the Pirate your thinking about (see current story on Matts).

Thunderbolt, I think Huss was saying that Strates old Rainbow was sold to someone in Australia and will be back out on the road there.
I like rides, but that woman is just out there, she has lost all common and moral sense. Sad