Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Originally Posted by: rhino 

I use it, and flickr. Will flickr become subscription only too, do you think? What other free photo storage sites are there?

Photobucket.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
what about if you have some photos already on webshots. What will happen to them?
I use facebook its currently free with unlimited picture storage.

Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
I use it, and flickr. Will flickr become subscription only too, do you think? What other free photo storage sites are there?
For those here with Webshots accounts, be sure to read this page:

http://smile.webshots.com/landing 

Some highlights:

Quote:

Does Smile by Webshots still have a free membership?

Smile by Webshots will be free to everyone until our official launch. When we launch later this fall, Smile will be a subscription service. We will offer a free 30-day trial so that you can decide whether you’d like to subscribe, but like many other photo services, we no longer offer a free membership. For information on subscription plans, please see our Pricing page.

No pricing info was available when I checked earlier.

Quote:

Is the old Webshots site going away?

Yes and no. Your photos won’t be accessible publicly in the way they once were. All photos will be removed by December 1. Until then, you may use message boards and you may search, browse and view images, but you won’t be able to upload or download images. We are no longer supporting the old Webshots service as we move to the new system. At the same time, we’ve made it easy for you to either bring your photos into the new service or to save them to your desktop.

What do I need to do?

If you would like to keep enjoying your photos on Smile by Webshots, you’ll need to confirm your account by logging in here. If you do not wish to use Smile by Webshots, you may also save your photos to your desktop. For unconfirmed accounts, all photos will be removed by December 1, 2012.

In essence, they will no longer be a public photo sharing site, and will no longer offer a free account on the site. From what I am reading, the transition also has not been that smooth, and downloading your photos to save them may also not be easy to do at this point. Good luck to everyone...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy